• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "Nindies @BitSummit4th" trailer, new Wii U and 3DS eShop games shown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG35UprNokk

http://nintendoeverything.com/nindies-at-bitsummit-montage-trailer/

Games:

Wii U

Ace of Seafood
Runbow
TorqueL

3DS

1000m Zombie Escape
Back in 1995 64
Block Legend
Brave Dungeon
Cave Story
Fairune 2
Gunma no Yabou
Naniyugi Tokoyo
New Kersploosh
Nyoki Nyoki Tabidachi Hen
Shovel Knight

One note at least; that first game for 3DS in the trailer (that would be 1000m Zombie Escape) is by Oink Games, these are ex-Skip Ltd. folks, holy shit! O_O They also helped out on the two 3DS Chibi-Robo games.

Great to see Runbow getting Japanese release.

Wasn't new Kersploosh announced ages ago? I was under an impression it was even released there.

ash_ag

Back in 1995 seems really nice. Always hoped for more 5th gen-inspired indies. I see that it's already out on Steam, but apparently it's not very good? Has anyone tried it?

EVH

Just Cave Story and Shovel Knight look interesting and those are games long out in most if not all platforms.

WTF is that game with the emojis?

Did I spot a The Legend of Dark Witch dungeone crawler RPG?

Yepper. Was announced not long ago.

Also, Ace of Seafood for Wii U look amazing. o_O It's also on Steam and mobile it seems, and is the sequel to a game called Neo Aquarium.

Basic googling seems to show while Neo Aquarium wasn't so good (Destructoid hated it), Seafood looks to be much better?

Any Gaffers with experience in either/both?

One note at least; that first game for 3DS in the trailer (that would be 1000m Zombie Escape) is by Oink Games, these are ex-Skip Ltd. folks, holy shit! O_O They also helped out on the two 3DS Chibi-Robo games.

We're never getting a successor to GiFTPiA or Captain☆Rainbow, are we?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Did I spot a The Legend of Dark Witch dungeone crawler RPG?

Yep, Brave Dungeon is a Legend of Dark Witch spinoff.

IIRC, the Oink Games people were some of the core personnel who worked on the Art Style/Bit Generations series. They make a lot of physical games these days, they're quite cute.

Some of these look really cool. Do these japanese indies usually see a western release?

Some will I'm sure. For instance I believe that Ace of Seafood has an English release on Steam and mobile. Checking the Steam page, it was published by AGM Playism. I don't know if Playism would publish on Wii U at least in NA.

Circle Entertainment are some of the best in publishing and localizations (even if they're too literal with them) eShop publishers in NA and EU. Their catalog is getting pretty massive I thin on 3DS. They've brought over most if not all of Flyhigh Works' stuff (they might be related) like Legend of Dark Witch and such. But have brought over more from other indie folks like Mercenaries Saga 2 and Adventure Bar Story by RideOn Japan.

They got their first proper published game on Wii U underway with a port of Mr. Pumpkin's Adventure just recently being confirmed.

They might bring over a number of the list above.

However I definitely see Nintendo themselves localizing that 1000m Zombie Escape game by Oink Games due to their obvious close ties with the folks there.

MacTag

Banned
That Compile game has my attention.

Some will I'm sure. For instance I believe that Ace of Seafood has an English release on Steam and mobile. Checking the Steam page, it was published by AGM Playism. I don't know if Playism would publish on Wii U at least in NA.
Another Playism game, Unholy Heights, was recently released on 3DS published by Bergsala Lightweight. Playism does publish on PS4, Vita and Xbox One in Japan at least so maybe they'll start supporting Nintendo platforms too.

Eradicate

Not related to Nintendo specifically, but Lizardcube's game Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap will be at this show. This is a rumored NX title, though they have admitted they are still working out what consoles/PC releases will actually happen. Still, the game looks great, so show them some love and see what happens!

Thanks for sharing Hero of Legend!

Great to see Runbow getting Japanese release.

Wasn't new Kersploosh announced ages ago? I was under an impression it was even released there.

It was, this is also a showcase of other indie games that are already out, even in Japan, like Runbow and Shovel Knight

In other JP Nindie news, the mobile roguelike Dragon Fang is 3DS-bound:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/bitsummit-4th-dragon-fang-coming-nintendo-3ds/

Keep them coming Nintendo! :p I hope we see Japanese indie support on Nintendo systems reach western levels soon. But I'll say, this is the best sign we've seen yet with how much is being seen here.

Normally you'd see stuff from Flyhigh Works/Circle, Mechanic Arms, and a very longtime (like NES long) supporter; Kemco.

kunonabi

Those last couple rpgs and the shmup looked good but can't say I found the rest of the games appealing(excluding shovel knight and runbow of course)

I'll probably pick up Back in 1995 64 against my better judgment though.

Jintor

Ace of seafood ran like rubbish on the Wii u in the booth. The PC version they were demoing elsewhere ran way better

Ace of seafood ran like rubbish on the Wii u in the booth. The PC version they were demoing elsewhere ran way better

Can you ask if it'll run like the PC version by release or something?

And anything at the booth not mentioned in the OP or the BitSummit site by any chance?

EloNoolah

Super excited about Fairune 2. The original is a great (and cheap!!) little bite-sized adventure RPG. Also surprised to find out that there's an entire studio comprised of ex-skip people. Is that why so much of their more recent output has been kind of iffy? :/

Super excited about Fairune 2. The original is a great (and cheap!!) little bite-sized adventure RPG. Also surprised to find out that there's an entire studio comprised of ex-skip people. Is that why so much of their more recent output has been kind of iffy? :/

Doubt it since as I pointed out, Oink assisted with both of the 3DS Chibi-Robo games.

Edit: Speaking of which, their Zombie game for 3DS is actually a mobile port:

http://1000mz.jp/

http://oinkgms.com/

MacTag

Banned
The Nintendo, indie relationship always seems sad. It's all they got, so lets pretend we LOVE indies!
I mean, they also have things like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter or Yo-Kai Watch. It's sort of weird to see solid indie support, or Nintendo's progressive moves in courting it, as anything but a positive.

It took Cave Story + this long to release in Japan (about 4 years after the initial NA release)?
I'd make a Nicalis joke but it's just sad at this point.

Although speaking of Cave Story + I'm a little surprised Nicalis hasn't ported it around more. You'd think there'd be a decent audience for it on Vita, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One.

Top Bottom