• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey for the Gods |KS| Survival against giant creatures, PC/PS4/XB1

Begaria

So a few months back, Prey for the Gods was revealed as a survival game with killing giants in the the same vein as Shadow of the Colossus, and it looked really good. Today, it heads to Kickstarter to make the game even better.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/802508750/prey-for-the-gods

Official trailer #1
https://youtu.be/hzDl2THyF4w

Official trailer #2
https://youtu.be/q5AGtu0oMUY

Prey For The Gods is an action survival game set on a desolate frozen island. To survive you must destroy the very gods you believe in.

In Prey for the Gods, you play a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying world to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter. Arriving with only the clothes on your back, you must survive the colossal dangers that you encounter. To restore balance and reclaim the land from the brink, you will be faced with questions that not even a God knows the answer to.

Prey for the Gods ambitiously combines the game play of Shadow of the Colossus, Deus Ex, DayZ, and BloodBorne. It has tight controls, action-packed boss fights and a frozen mysterious world to explore.

There was a stretch goal for console ports for after the PC version is shipped set at $600k. The developers are now bringing it to Xbox One and PS4 without the stretch goal, but still after the PC version.

Four minutes of legit pre-alpha gameplay footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7uzZG8HHU

Beat me to it. Been following this game since the reveal. Love the creature design

tKB8nYj.gif

I'm all for more games like Shadow of the Colossus, and this one looks like a solid investment. Hope it makes to the PS4 stretch goal!

Illucio

Banned
I love everything I see from this game. I just can't trust a game that only has 3 people behind it.

I might just wait until reviews are out if this game ever gets backed.

DirtyLarry

Backed at the $15 tier. I would purchase if it existed, so if purchasing it now means it hopefully gets made, I am in.

FiraB

Banned
Why only 5 bosses though, the stretch goals are odd. For a game like this content is king, add new environments and boss fights everything else should be secondary, even console release.

NeoRaider

Why only 5 bosses though, the stretch goals are odd. For a game like this content is king, add new environments and boss fights everything else should be secondary, even console release.

Where does it say that there will be 5 bosses only? That sounds very disappointing.

Where does it say that there will be 5 bosses only? That sounds very disappointing.

Prey for the Gods will launch with 5 bosses. At the initial budget of $300k, we'll release the game on PC with boss types ranging from bipedal, quadruped and flying body types.

They've stated in comments that the budget is what they came to as a bare minimum suggestion, so its likely because of their expected limits.

Hung-Chien Liao - @akyangliao

"Architect", Programming

“I make the magic happen.” That’s all Chien wanted to say, mainly because the guy is too busy atm.

Man, I hate stuff like this on Kickstarter. This is your chance to sell yourself to an audience, give your credentials or some idea you're competent. And that's not a real Twitter account?

Edit: maybe it is, nothing there - no followers / tweets?

It's just a pet peeve. If you want our money work for it.

I like the idea of a man vs nature and monsters game otherwise.

Thewonandonly

I'll consider funding after the 600k mark if it reaches it. I don't have a pc to play this so would need to be console.
Same

Sounds really really cool tho and hopefully they can pull it off :)

More_Badass: what the hell is that game it looks insane for being made by one person

Kneefoil

The game looks wonderful. I'm just not really into the survival aspect, so i'm a bit on the fence here.

There are stretch goals for bosses 6, 7 and 8, so presumably they are currently planning on having only 5.

Man, I hate stuff like this on Kickstarter. This is your chance to sell yourself to an audience, give your credentials or some idea you're competent. And that's not a real Twitter account?

Was made in May. Would suspect a case of having the account more for the purposes of communication during the development of the game, than their own personal usage.

Was made in May. Would suspect a case of having the account more for the purposes of communication during the development of the game, than their own personal usage.

Hmm. Cool with that - just tell us who you are if you want our money to make something for us.

Yea i agree he should at least say what games he may have worked on like the game director did. This is one of the reasons i have only backed yooka laylee because im familiar with the developers last projects and have an idea what i might be getting.

Does look cool though and i like the ideas they have for it.

Sesha

I've been waiting for this. Aside from your generic-looking character which looks like a Gameloft or Chinese rip-off version of Aloy from Horizon, and a some stiff character animations, it looks really good already.

Illucio

Banned
Why? This game was made by 1 person
I have never heard of any reviews for that game or many opinions on it. The few times I've seen it mention on Gaf was just people acknowledging the effort for one person making the game.

I suppose it's more or less that I expect a team of 8 to 16 people working on a game like this to have it done on time. They only have 5 bosses planned but if they get more money they will make more? Would that mean they will end up delaying the game even further because even though they have a larger fund to make more content but they still only have 3 employees? December 2017 is obviously a projected date if the game had just 5 bosses. So adding one or two more would continue to push the game back?

I just don't want this game to be thrown into infinite time limbo. Even though I want more content which means more money and time, I expect at least 5-7 different employees to get behind this game.

Really they should take the minimalist approach to the overworld, snow everywhere, trees, landscapes are slightly different so you don't get lost, and the main features are the boss locations and major story locations. The less content the better, but at the very end of development Polish the fuck out of it. Make that snow so polished it shows your reflection.

Id prefer more boss fights then anything else, everything else is indeed secondary. If they want to tell a story they have to take very little time with it and do a little. But leave elements in the game for the gamers to interpret the story.

I have never heard of any reviews for that game or many opinions on it. The few times I've seen it mention on Gaf was just people acknowledging the effort for one person making the game.

I suppose it's more or less that I expect a team of 8 to 16 people working on a game like this to have it done on time. They only have 5 bosses planned but if they get more money they will make more? Would that mean they will end up delaying the game even further because even though they have a larger fund to make more content but they still only have 3 employees? December 2017 is obviously a projected date if the game had just 5 bosses. So adding one or two more would continue to push the game back?

I just don't want this game to be thrown into infinite time limbo. Even though I want more content which means more money and time, I expect at least 5-7 different employees to get behind this game.
Inside took 6 years. Rain World is taking 5 or 6. The Witness took 8. Stardew Valley took 4. And so on

It isn't "infinite time limbo", it's simply that games like this take time. Years. This has been in development for two years, part time. I'd expect a game like this to take at least 3 or 4 years. December 2017 seems like an optimistic date.

Wensih

It's not something that I would necessarily back. While it does look like they've put a lot of work into the game and it has a strong second trailer, it kind of blurs the line of inspiration and imitation for myself.

It's not something that I would necessarily back. While it does look like they've put a lot of work into the game and it has a strong second trailer, it kind of blurs the line of inspiration and imitation for myself.
Thing is, this is like how first person shooters were called Doomlikes. This is a genre of literally one game. Nothing else has even really tried to tackle this kind of gameplay, and no, Dragon Dogma's creatures were too small to count IMO. So any game that does "a small person climbing and killing massive towering creatures" is going to come across as imitating Shadow of the Colossus, because there's nothing else to compare it to.

Wensih

Thing is, this is like how first person shooters were called Doomlikes. This is a genre of literally one game. Nothing else has even really tried to tackle this kind of gameplay, and no, Dragon Dogma's creatures were too small to count IMO. So any game that does "a small person climbing and killing massive towering creatures" is going to come across as imitating Shadow of the Colossus, because there's nothing else to compare it to.

I think the concept is a little bit more unique and goes deeper than a first-person perspective and a gun. Although I understand that a lot of first person shooters after Doom followed it's format almost to a T until they began to differentiate, I'm not sure I would have been extremely interested in clones during that time as well. It's a similar situation for me with Bloodstained and Mighty No. 9 although those involve some of the original development team of a similar franchise.

Top Bottom