• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best world map in a game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Anyone remember the old school world maps? When your character would suddenly become huge, as if they were literally gallivanting across a drawn map? Of course you do.

latest

My favorite is one of the last games I can remember using one, Tales of Vesperia. Every city looks detailed from the map screen, as opposed to the few iconic towns or houses you usually see in RPGs. To top it off, every city has a beautiful ring around it - a blastia - that really adds to the immersion of the Vesperia world. It's a constant reminder how much these people depend on these devices. The music is not bad either, and conveys the feel of a grand, sweeping adventure. You'd frequently get skits while travelling on the map, too, making travel less tedious than it could have been otherwise. The entire game is gorgeous, and the world map is no exception.

184300-full.jpeg

Of course, there are other types of maps, too. For example, Super Mario RPG is an example of a map that leaves traversal to the dungeons and towns, and is essentially a point and click map that you control with a d-pad. It's lacking in the exploration department, but it also makes your journey through the SMRPG world much more concise and straightforward. That may be a plus or minus for some. It arguably left the devs more time and resources to put into the dungeons and towns, as well.

4-Super_Mario_RPG_-_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars003.png

Music wise, Tales of Rebirth has my favorite map theme. The game switched from its gorgeous 2D sprites to wonky 3D models whenever you went to the map screen (why!?) but the theme is so graceful and heroic that I even found myself looking forward to visiting it again at times.

60051120070727_055749_0_big.jpg
gfs_53912_2_7.jpg

I may have chosen this as my favorite if it didn't look so much worse than the rest of the game...

What's your favorite world map? Why is it your favorite? What do you think makes a good world map? What's your favorite style of world map? WHERE WERE YOU THE NIGHT OF THE 25TH!? Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions. It's a broad topic otherwise, though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really liked the world map in DQ8 but not sure if it counts..
It definitely counts. I loved DQ8's as well. It basically made the "old school" world map full sized along with the rest of the game.

Seda

I really liked Wild ARMS V. Vast and varied. Lots of exploration to do, nooks and crannies to seek out tons of chests and things. Even has some cool verticality to it in places. I also appreciate that it's a bit more realistically proportioned than other maps in terms of environment scale and such. Great music. Part way through the game you can get a wheeler thing to move quickly and avoid encounters too. Only problem is you're gonna be mashing the radar button at all times to find everything.

Not a great image but whatever.
PfmVOvJ.jpg

Rodin

Chrono Trigger, Zeal in particular. Not sure you can beat a world map with that design and Corridors of Time playing in it.

And although it's not the best, i also have fond memories of Golden Sun's world map.

maxcriden

I really, really like the map in Elliot Quest.

953545F2C06B9AE797F70C9D5A86C7AFF496E499

Screen-Shot-2014-06-10-at-10.52.00-PM.png

When you encounter an exclamation point, that means there's an area there.

tumblr_neosux7TSb1s8ouhxo4_500.gif

tumblr_nlksa4b9eK1tliyz4o5_r2_1280.gif

tumblr_nlksa4b9eK1tliyz4o7_r1_1280.gif

You don't get the sense of it too well in this pic, but traversing across it is reminiscent of Golden Sun for me, but really it's more like a modern Zelda II. Gah. It's so good. Traversing it just feels great with so many hidden secrets and areas. Here's part of my GOTY write-up for it:

Here's why this is such a terrific game. I've only played bits and pieces of Zelda II but if ever someone wanted to see how a Zelda game would work as a 2D sidescroller, Elliot Quest is their game. (BTW, it should also be the subtitle for the Season 2 OT of Mr. Robot later this year. Just sayin'.) So, everything about this game is a wondrously emblematic of a lucid world brought to life. The character and enemy design is unique but has that unmistakable je ne sais quoi of the Zelda genre. The action is tight and thoughtful and responsive. The puzzles are bewitching but never frustrating. The music is delightful and memorably grand. The most important thing is game feel, though, and just playing EQ feels terrific. You become Elliot. This is what I want from a game. To be transported into a world, to be the character--to be the "Link" into their world, if you will. EQ offers and delivers this in spades. It's the best Zelda game Nintendo never published, and I can't recommend it heartily enough.

It's hard to pick, but two recent ones that I really like are Lordran (Dark Souls) and Mira (Xenoblade X). Both are big, beautiful and well designed in its own way.

Edit: If we talk about maps that are an entity apart from towns, dungeons, etc, then I would probably choose Chrono Trigger. I loved the contrast between diferent eras.

ChronoTrigger-1000AD.gif
ChronoTrigger-2300AD.gif

lazygecko

From a game design perspective, I really liked the world map traversal in the first 2 Fallout games. You had a number ticker showing you the hours and days pass by as you travel the wastes on foot, which was a great and simple way of putting the scale and vastness of the world into perspective. There were random encounters just like a JRPG map, but these were influenced by your survival skill level to either give you favorable odds or being able to skip them entirely. Then there were of course the bonus easter egg encounters and locations tied into this system. You could also exit the map and explore the actual game zone wherever you are and not just be dependant on encounters for that. They were simply, mostly prefab generated locations, but it was another neat little touch to make the world more tangible inbetween all the important locations.

Funny thing about how it worked on a technical level was how the travel speed was directly linked to your CPU speed somehow, so the faster your CPU was the faster you would go. But the rate of the random encounters did not scale along with that, so people playing the games later on newer computers would just breeze by everything and hardly have any encounters. I don't know if they got around to fixing this problem for any of the rereleases.

But when I played Fallout 2 on my at the time already outdated 133mhz, it actually went slower than intended, which of course also resulted in significantly more encounters inbetween destinations. This made the game way more challenging, and ultimately more immersive for me. Traveling across the mountain range to reach Vault City felt like a real acheivement. It also made the car and caravan as alternate travel methods that much more satisfactory.

HHYrE.jpg

The way this whole system worked was a major reason Fallout 3 disappointed me so much with the shift to a densely compressed seamless world.

GTA San Andreas.

It was well designed and compartmentalised in such a way that it really did feel like you were on an adventure across the varying landscapes and demographics of the State. Had a very JRPG discovering different towns vibe about it.

w0s

Games should always be labeled in threads like this. Can't assume that everyone has played everything, no matter how popular it is.

I totally agree with this. I don't know how many screenshot threads people don't post the name. Aggravating when want to know what it is but aren't going to keep posting what is this what is that.

I love the stylized maps in The Secret World. Egypt has the look of a tourist folder while Transylvania has a medieval style.

M4fKy04.png
iAxvgl2.jpg

I totally agree with this. I don't know how many screenshot threads people don't post the name. Aggravating when want to know what it is but aren't going to keep posting what is this what is that.

I disagree. That's the equivalent of having to label the Beatles in a music thread.

If you can't identify the Beatles (or FFVI) maybe the thread isn't for you.

As far as above world maps like OP means goes, I'll go with Ni No Kuni too, think it's great.

Can't really think of what game has a great map, Metroid Prime had great maps as far as I recall.

Nerix

My first game I played with such a map was FFVII (PS1). Enjoyed walking around that world map, great concept (also with the limitations, that you need different vehicles / chocobos to reach all locations)
final-fantasy-vii-world-map.jpg

It doesn´t really fit in that map scheme, but Knytt Undeground came to my mind. I loved the game and map, as it is like a big maze with amazing art design.

zuCPE.png

362551_screenshot_of_knytt_underground_58_medium.jpg

And, The Banner Saga :) (many background information about the world and history, when you mark the locations)

CmDSh4YWEAAbF03.jpg:orig

epmode

I disagree. That's the equivalent of having to label the Beatles in a music thread.

If you can't identify the Beatles (or FFVI) maybe the thread isn't for you.

It takes almost no effort to type a title, and it prevents unnecessary confusion.

Not to mention that what one person considers an essential game isn't an essential game for everyone. What about people that have played nothing but PC games? They're not going to know classic JRPGs by a single screenshot.

Also, threads like these are good for game recommendations. Doesn't work if there's no description.

Zukuu

Banned
I SO FRIGGIN LOVE WORLD MAPS. Seriously, I bought Ni No Kuni primarily because it has a world map. I prefer world maps to any other style in JRPGs. If your game has a world map, chances are I will play it (unless it's RPG maker shovelware). That and pre-rendered backgrounds make be excited beyond belief.

Can't decide, but I really enjoyed FF 7's world map. It's big, you can discover many optional stuff, and it's even integral as story-device element: e.g.:

Just looking at these makes me want to play FF7 for the 14th time. World maps are love, world maps are life.

Just a heads up that if you're on chrome, right clicking the image then choosing search Google for this image will get you the name pretty consistently.

hydruxo

The DKC games always nailed the maps. DKC 3's map was actually the most memorable IMO. Lots of interaction and great music.

Final Fantasy XI and World of Warcraft were unbelievably amazing world maps for me. Especially playing both at launch. There was nothing like it for me.

I see Ni No Kuni and Dragon Quest getting repped here. Good choices.

Top Bottom