• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego 71040 - The Disney Castle revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
aJ25ugC.jpg

1040 The Disney Castle

Ages 16+. 4,080 pieces.
US $349.99 – CA $399.99 – DE 349.99€ – UK £289.99 – DK 2999.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Welcome to the magical Disney Castle!

Bring the magical world of Disney to your home with The Disney Castle. This highly detailed LEGO® model with over 4,000 pieces offers a rewarding build and play experience, and comes with an array of exciting Disney-themed features and functions. The intricately detailed facade and towers replicate the iconic Walt Disney World® Resort Cinderella Castle, and each accessible castle room includes special features inspired by some of Disney’s greatest animated feature films, providing endless play possibilities with the included minifigures: Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck and Tinker Bell, or other characters from your collection.

71040 The Disney CastleIncludes 5 minifigures: Mickey Mouse with a tuxedo, Minnie Mouse with red dress, Donald Duck with classic outfit, Daisy Duck with pink skirt, lavender colored shoes and a bow, and Tinker Bell with wig element, skirt, wings and a magic wand.
The Disney Castle features a detailed facade with a stone bridge, clock, wide arched entrance, ornate balconies, spired towers, plus a four-story main building and a five-story, golden-spired main tower, both containing rooms with assorted Disney-inspired features and elements.
Castle main building first floor features the main hall with large arched doorway, mosaic floor tiling, ornate chandelier, suits of armor, shield-decorated walls, grandfather clock, floor-standing vase with buildable flower elements, magic carpet and a golden lamp.
Castle main building second-floor room features buildable dark-blue curtains with curtain pole, ornate buildable candelabra and rose, and glass case elements.
Castle main building third-floor room features a chest with book of spells, mop and bucket elements, and access to the main tower second-floor room.
Castle main building fourth-floor bedroom features a detailed bed with decorative golden headboard elements.
Main tower first-floor kitchen features a large redbrick-patterned stove, workbench, buildable broom and pumpkin, plus pots, pans and assorted kitchen and food elements.
Main tower second-floor room includes a spinning wheel and access to the castle main building third-floor room.
Main tower third-floor room features a chest containing brush, scissor and lock of black hair elements, plus a balcony with 2 stud shooters for a firework-display function.
Main tower fourth-floor room features a golden mirror, plus red apple and glass vase elements.
Main tower fifth-floor room features a window bench and an arched window.
Also includes 2 frogs and a golden crown element.
Remove part of the roof section to discover the glass slipper element and fairy-tale book element with printed cover.
Launch the fireworks and let the magic begin!
Combine with other LEGO® minifigure characters for endless adventures!
This set offers an age-appropriate building experience for ages 12 and over.
This set includes over 4,000 LEGO® pieces.
The Disney Castle measures over 29” (74cm) high, 17” (44cm) wide and 12” (31cm) deep.
Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning September 1, 2016

So what's the consensus on this?

As a huge Disneyworld fan I love it apart from 2 things - 1 the colouring bothers me and 2 - lack of partners statue.

Other than that this turned out as well as you could possibly hope and it's just gorgeous. My wallet about to take a hit!

mclem

Love that it has a tower that high.

But still shorter than the Tower of Terror!

Edit: There's a Tinkerbell Minifigure! You can run Tinkerbell's Flight! Now I need a Tomorrowland Terrace model (hrm, there'd be less demand for that!) to be on the recieving end.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Will buy the moment its available.

I will need to build the bridge and moat for it too... hmmm this will require some planning.

suaveric

Would this be a good investment for resale?

As far as I know, every large Lego set goes up in price once the set has retired. Lego doesn't retire things for at least 2-3 years after the set has been released. So it's gonna be a while before you'd see any kind of return on the investment.

Rootbeer

Banned
Buying this. :)

Thanks LEGO VIP points! I will pay barely anything out of pocket to have this on my shelf.

Great looking piece

Dat minifig count though. Not impressed. If it was closed in the back I'd be all over this but alas I will but the money towards the new Death Star later this year.

So funny to see that it's for AGES: 16+

I mean, I understand why, but still...

Try sitting your average 8-year-old down to focus on building something that takes 10+ hours. It's not a question of being expensive or extremely hard to build, it's a question of patience.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh man...that's expensive, but wow.

Try sitting your average 8-year-old down to focus on building something that takes 10+ hours. It's not a question of being expensive or extremely hard to build, it's a question of patience.
It's definitely not for 8 year olds, but I'm sure an interested 12 year old would be fine. But I think the 16+ just highlights that this set is targeted to AFOLs. If the price tag didn't make that clear already.

AMUSIX

Minifig set is all wrong. Should have been the fab five.

No Pluto, and the fact that this is cinderellas castle and not sleeping beauty might mean a pass for me.

Edit: oh damn, just noticed all the different movie references in the castle....just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in

C'mon Lego. If you want to impress me with your block technology, why don't you make Spaceship Earth?

I may need this Castle to put next to my Olsweski Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty ones. And I don't even collect Lego.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah realistically it's gonna be a long time before I can actually fit this bad boy into my purchases. It will be mine...eventually

At least Echo Base turned out bad so I can skip that one

Lego group are also punishing me for buying a Billy Bookcase to put them on - both of those are really tall. And for Big Ben I'd pretty much have to mod it to add the second tower on the river side.

Any info on how deep this is? I think I can fit 32 stud bases on a Billy shelf.

sikkinixx

My wife is stoked. We already spent like $500 on Simpsons Lego so hopefully they don't bring out more of those too or I'll be broke.

DJ_Lae

Damn, I need that.

First set since Wall-E and The Tumbler that I've looked at and immediately wanted.

mclem

So, as someone who's not bought into 'big lego' before, does the Lego shop open preorders at some point? I can see it on the UK store now (here), but it's not actually able to be added to my bags. Does it only go on sale at release, or do Lego offer a preorder option at some point in the future prior to release?

My 8yo is helping build Big Ben. I just have to be around to encourage him when he has a problem. He does a chunk for maybe an hour, then leaves it for a day. Right now he is doing the whole clock part while I read neogaf. Disney may be less repetitive and It's the repetition that is the killer. It would be a rare kid that would push through the whole Kit in two or three sittings.

muteki

I guess these pics are of different versions or different times, but it looks either light gray or light pink/yellow.

These are the options LEGO would have for color: http://brickset.com/colours/chart

I think the yellow brick was probably the best they could do, other than the medium stone gray, which would have looked too plain.

Today's Cinderella Castle in Orlando has more pink in the upper section. I think it is the same in Tokyo too. It is subtle and depends on the lighting:

Originally it was uniformly light grey.

Sawneeks

Banned
Well, at least it's coming out in September. Gives me time to save up for it.

Any word on if they are going to do Sleeping Beauty's Castle from Disneyland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom