• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO is now the biggest mobile game in U.S. history (by peak DAU)

We finally have numbers to support what you might have already guessed: Pokémon GO is the biggest mobile game in U.S. history.

Shooting to the top of the app store on the day it was released, within 24 hours Pokémon GO beat out indie hit Slither.io and Supercell’s heavily promoted blockbuster Clash Royale to become the biggest game of 2016, as measured by daily active users.

pokemon1_col.png

And that’s not all. Within three days of its release, Pokémon GO attracted more users than Twitter, and rose to the top of the App Store revenue charts, earning millions of dollars a day for its publisher, Niantic.

As of yesterday, Pokémon GO attracted just under 21 million daily active users in the United States, surpassing Candy Crush saga’s rumored peak US smartphone audience of and making it the biggest mobile game in US history.

Pokémon Go left Twitter in the dust. Now it’s gunning for SnapChat (and Google Maps!)
So what’s next? At its current rate of growth, Pokémon GO is on track to pass Snapchat within a couple of days on Android.

Plus, as unbelievable as it sounds, Pokémon GO Android could surpass Google Maps itself as the largest user of Alphabet’s mapping data.

pokemon1_line.png

Source: https://www.surveymonkey.com/business/intelligence/pokemon-go-biggest-mobile-game-ever/

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
"But pokemon on phones can't work"

Bow to the king.

Dalek

All you have to do is step outside to confirm it. Everywhere you go-grocery store, bank, coffee shop, parks-everyone is playing it and loving it.

All you have to do is step outside to confirm it. Everywhere you go-grocery store, bank, coffee shop, parks-everyone is playing it and loving it.
Yeah I see people I would never expect to be into something like Pokemon playing this game.

Lebneney

Banned
Hats off to Nintendo, the Pokemon Company, Niantic, and Google for resounding success.

Makes me wonder if more Nintendo IPs will hit mobile now that this one has done so well. (And how many copycats from Sony and Microsoft might be incoming, inb4 Invizimals + Rare Collectathon on mobile).

Your mom is the biggest mobile game in U.S. history.

Quality
(I actually love this post).

JoeM86

Hats off to Nintendo, the Pokemon Company, Niantic, and Google for resounding success.

Makes me wonder if more Nintendo IPs will hit mobile now that this one has done so well. (And how many copycats from Sony and Microsoft might be incoming, inb4 Invizimals + Rare Collectathon on mobile).

Don't go crazy. It's not like this is the first Pokémon app. The reason it hit it big is the concept, not "OMG POKÉMON ON MOBILE"

DR2K

Banned
It's a fad guys. It'll only make 10 billion. It can't sustain these numbers in 4 months. Nintendo/Niantic/Gamefreak had nothing to do with this. This isn't even a real game. I got bored after one minute. That should about cover some of the responses.

Sterok

Pokemon is the dominant force of handhelds. It's shaping up to be the dominant force of mobile. Give it ten years and I wouldn't be surprised if some PC project ended up dominating that as well. Pikachu is determined to become the absolute king of video games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hot damn.

Have only barely booted the game myself, but I hope it stays relevant for a while.

Pokemon has a special place in my heart, even though I haven't really played the series since Blue/Red/Yellow.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
There's a joke somewhere in there about all the "couch potatoes," who never needed Google maps to navigate anywhere, raising the download cap for Pokemon Go.

Cool. Too bad I have a Windows Phone...

Nintendo Badge Arcade would be pretty cool if you could get wallpapers and badges you could use as icons on your home screen.

Poyunch

Pokemon GO is great. Tons of strangers end up talking to one another for no reason. I ended up walking with a group of three I've never met for a few hours taking down gyms and looking for Pokemon.

It's also pretty cool meeting those people that constantly take down gyms. There are two really high level Yellows around my area that always take the gyms. I finally got to meet them today and it felt great because I was also part of Team Instinct and there was this camaraderie of being outnumbered.

Acerac

Banned
I went down to the local naval park around 10 pm, saw literally hundreds of people playing this game over the next 3 hours. On occasion some confused person would come up asking if everyone was there for pokemon. The answer was always a resounding yes.

This game is absurd.

It's why I always laugh when people suggest that Nintendo games would only be popular on their platforms and wouldn't dominate on others. People don't want to buy their systems in droves, but given a chance to play their IPs on other platforms/devices? They would dominate

Wow, this game just keeps on getting bigger. I've never played Pokemon outside of 30 mins of Yellow. Glad it's a great success though and hopefully it continues to be. Hopefully there will be lots of improvements and new features to the app.

Sandfox

It's why I always laugh when people suggest that Nintendo games would only be popular on their platforms and wouldn't dominate on others. People don't want to buy their systems in droves, but given a chance to play their IPs on other platforms/devices? They would dominate

I don't think many people argued against the idea that a Pokemon game could do well on mobile.

Nicko

It's been a wild ride already, and to think this thing came out LAST WEEK totally blows my mind. Seriously, I just can't believe what I am seeing and feeling! I'm really having a blast playing and learning about new leveling strategies. So much fun to have played the beta, and now be riding this monumental wave! Surf's up!

Gutss

Potential to be the biggest game in years.....they cheaped out on servers and botched it's worldwide release. Just nuts.

Actually the delay is a blessing in disguise for nintendo, stocks will go higher cuz of the anticipation for other countrys.

Pndomo

Banned
Ehh, idk about that.
It's a F2P Mobile Pokémon game buddy. Mainstream wouldn't give a crap about Pikmin/Metroid on PS4.

Back on topic. I wonder how much longevity this game will have.

cordy

Banned
It hasn't even been 1 week yet and it's huge my lord I knew it was crazy when I saw everybody talking about it on social media, I knew it was huger when I saw WWE mention it multiple times and I knew it was even bigger when people were playing it in work. Now it's the biggest in US history?

Ho
Ly
Sh
It

This is like back when we were kids and Pokemon took over. I'm having flashbacks of watching the first episode on UPN.

Lothars

I don't think many people argued against the idea that a Pokemon game could do well on mobile.
Agreed, Pokemon is a massive brand and it took the right concept. Now I am curious what they have planned and how quick contact updates will be.

Hale-XF11

I drive around for a living and it's so weird now to just see everyone playing as I pass by one street after another.

Ehh, idk about that.
It's a F2P Mobile Pokémon game buddy. Mainstream wouldn't give a crap about Pikmin/Metroid on PS4.

Back on topic. I wonder how much longevity this game will have.

I like how you had to pick the weaker franchises to prove your point. I notice you didn't use Zelda or Mario and his spinoffs or Smash, or their other more popular franchises. But I don't want to get off topic

Pokemon is like Star Wars at this point. It is never dead, only dormant.

Every one of the games are multimillion sellers and most of the main series ones have sold over 10+ million. It wasn't even dormant. Pokemon has always been popular

Top Bottom