• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A weird thing happened to me on the way to Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
So, last month I bought IMAX tickets to Ghostbusters for funsies before all the reviews came in (I live dangerously :p). Feeling pretty great about all the decent reviews, I was excited about seeing it tonight.

I should note that I am black, the only black person in the crowd going to see this movie at the place I went to, so read into the following however you will.

I go to my local IMAX theater as normal. It was my fiirst time comibg back again since The Force Awakens last December, and from experience, it seemed like a cool place. I would just sit around and wait outside like I did last time, but then a security guard start calling over for me by the museum doors (that building should've been closed by the time I showed up, so I had no clue what was going on). By the time I start coming closer, they lock the doors on me. Weird, but no big deal.

Eventually, I noticed that the theater doors were open and other people were already inside waiting. I had an hour and half to wait, so why not go in early? I come in and try and find my way to the concessions stand, buuut the same security stops me on the spot and tells me "you need to go outside". Things gets weirder from there. Soon as I go outside, she immediately tells me that "they" (I assume the staff, but she wasn't clear) wanted me downstairs on the front of the entrance. That was the place where I waited for TFA at the time, so I didn't really question outside of a clarification if I was supposed to wait there (she responded by vaguely dodging the question and simply guiding me further down an empty ramp).

It took me a bit to realize that she was booting me out of the theater entirely.

I eventually turned around and shrugged off the whole weirdness, but there was that same security woman, on the phone calling for backup on a trespasser. At that point, I was fearing for my life, not knowing what the hell to do. I confronted her and showed her the ticket recipt, but she insisted that it was fake and that there was no "Ghostbusters movie" showing. It took a bit of convincing to get her to take me over to the other staff members that were starting to gather, but thankfully, everything got cleared up.

I honestly don't know if I should put up some sort of report or just let it go, but I felt like venting a bit. I just came to have fun and watch a movie, and now I have to deal with bits of anxiety and paranoia biting at the back of my head. I still got to enjoy the movie (part of me wanted to leave outright, but hey, I paid for the ticket), but...fuck. :/

Maxey

I thought you were going to say you saw a ghost.

But that's way more fucked up. Report her, that shit can't go unpunished.

"Ghost....busters? That's just like you blacks! Making up fake movies to get in and shoot up the place! I know your game!"

Report her.

This wasn't nearly as jovial a thread as I thought it was going to be.

You should have said at some point "I'd buy you a Diet Racist to drink, but I can't afford the $15 for a medium right now."

oneils

You should complain, but do so with eyes wide open. The answers here may lead you to expect a certain outcome. You may have to prepare yourself for the possibility that nothing comes of it, unfortunately.

qcf x2

Yeah you should, that's bullshit. Especially for a security guard. While she was wasting time being a racist POS somebody could have been doing some actual bad shit behind her back.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Came in expecting a ghost story, am instead confronted with racism...great :/

You should report her.

Yeah, I would report the security guard just to get a complaint about them on record. Who knows if anything will come of it, but if there are enough complaints maybe they will take action.

It sucks that this experience is probably going negatively influence your future visits to this IMAX (if you still want to go there).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This wasn't nearly as jovial a thread as I thought it was going to be.

You should have said at some point "I'd buy you a Diet Racist to drink, but I can't afford the $15 for a medium right now."

This isn't Diet Racist. It's Racist R2. Only half the calories of Racist but all of the fear!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
From the behaviour, I'd assume mistaken identity? maybe they thought you were a former problem for them?

Or racism.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
From the behaviour, I'd assume mistaken identity? maybe they thought you were a former problem for them?

Or racism.

Because he fit the description. Wide nose.

_Ryo_

Report her. You absolutely must before she gets some unsuspecting victim killed.

She's a racist asshole.

Bad Trip

Banned
I'm confused about where in the movie theater complex you were ? So were you waiting to get into the theater outside the building , already in the theater complex , at a different part or level of the theater complex ? I'm just not understanding where you were in the place , it's sounded like you were away from everything and ran into a security guard so I'm not understanding what's going on in the story

vikki

I'm confused. This all happened before the movie? You were just waiting to see the movie and some random security guard decided to kick you out? I'd be pissed and have a word with the theater manager and the security agency. That's some major bullshit.

Veldin

Why did they stop there? Should've gone all in and directed you to a colored IMAX theater.

Please report her dumb ass.

OP, you were absolutely profiled. There was zero reason for her to act that way, and you need to report her for that because that woman should not be working at that theater.

Arkeband

Banned
Even if it doesn't get her fired, it'll be documented and can establish a pattern of behavior in case she's doing this to other black moviegoers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom