• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Man shot at Pokemon Go players parking on road outside his house at 1:30AM

massoluk

Banned
Flagler County Sheriff's Office spokesman James Troiano says in a news release that the homeowner awoke to a noise outside about 1:30 a.m. Saturday and saw a car sitting in the road in front of his house. He told authorities he got a handgun and approached the vehicle.

Troiano says the two teens in the car sped away and the man fired several shots at them.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/officials-man-shoots-pokeman-players-house-40641726?cid=abcn_tco
Headline is so incredibly America.

edit: there was a more recent article on this

Homeowner's story
Police say a man, who has not been identified, heard loud noises outside of his home. He looked out his window and noticed a white car with its brake lights on in front of his house. The man grabbed his gun and went outside. The man says he heard someone say, "did you get anything". The man then stepped in front of the car, pointed his gun at the teenagers, and told them not to move. The man claims the vehicle sped towards him, and he started shooting at the vehicle.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/pokemon-go-hunters-shot-at-while-searching-for-pokemon

Teenager's story
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...on-trainers-shot-palm-coast-florida/87207116/
A 19-year-old man and his 16-year-old friend were sitting in a car on Primrose Lane playing Pokémon Go around 1:30 a.m., when a man walked out of his house nearby and fired shots at the car, according to a news release from the Flagler County Sheriff's Office.

Moments before the shooting, they said they heard someone say, "did you catch him?" the teens told the sheriff's office.

One of them said, "yeah, did you?"

That's when they heard several shots fired.

The car sped off. They arrived at the 19-year-old's house and checked themselves for injuries. They tried to check for bullet holes on the car in the dark but didn't see any damage. They thought someone might have just been trying to scare them and went inside.

It wasn't until the next morning, when the teen's mother found bullet holes in the rear tire, hubcap and fender, that they reported the shooting to the sheriff's office.

Dennis

Banned
Why did he fire at them?

"I have no idea what is going on right now. Better shoot my gun."

The barrier to do something that could easily kill other people should be more substantial.

Pheace

So.. while holding a handgun he approaches a car with 2 kids in it. They speed off... and he fires at them anyway? Shouldn't he get arrested for crap like that?

The guy who shot will be arrested right? Not like he was defending himself.

Cut and dry attempted murder from my perspective. You don't open fire on "suspicious" people. You call the fucking cops and let them handle it. You ESPECIALLY don't open fire on people fleeing from you. These gun owners don't even have a sense of honor, hoping to shoot people in the BACK? JFC

so two teens were out at 1:30am.. sitting in a car in front of some random person's house.. playing Pokemon Go.. right..

the part about the florida man shooting at them doesn't surprise me at all though.

So.. while holding a handgun he approaches a car with 2 kids in it. They speed off... and he fires at them anyway? Shouldn't he get arrested for crap like that?

No. His behavior is totally called for.

I don't know about you, but I'm an expert... (and something something)

KHlover

Banned
The road in front of his house isn't his property, so all I see here is attempted murder. He basically tried to shoot two unsuspecting teenagers. Hope they sue him.

Pheace

The question should also be asked "Why the fuck were you playing Pokemon Go at 1:30 in the morning?!"

Don't know about you but as a lifelong gamer, being up at 1:30 in the morning is really, REALLY not a strange thing at all. So if a game suddenly gets gamers out in the open, is it really that strange it'd be at night as well?

Also a lot less embarrassing waving your phone around trying to get pokemon that way.

Anticol

Banned
America seems like such a scary country, I still remember hearing in the news here in Australia how an Australian student was killed while he was jogging at daylight shot in the back just because a couple of teens wanted to kill someone. Seriously...

so two teens were out at 1:30am.. sitting in a car in front of some random person's house.. playing Pokemon Go.. right..

the part about the florida man shooting at them doesn't surprise me at all though.

Been a while since you were a teenager, huh. Or lived in a city, even.

The question should also be asked "Why the fuck were you playing Pokemon Go at 1:30 in the morning?!"

It could have been anything. It could be been someone stopping the car to throw up or something, someone stopping the car to make a call. It could've been anything at all. Doesn't matter if they were playing Pokemon Go. They weren't parked inside the dudes driveway or anything.

EGM1966

Australia eggs thrown US shots fired. Figures I guess.

Goddamn crazy response IMHO. Sounds like the teens weren't even being disruptive to residents (unlike the crowd in Australia) but this guy decides to pull a gun on them then fires when they flee the gun toting crazy...

Let's take a moment to realize how close to death these kids were

Later that morning, he says, the mother of one of the teens called the sheriff's office when they realized the car had a flat tire and several bullet holes in it. She told officials the two had been playing the smartphone app.

wildfire

Banned
I can bet this happened somewhere else before Florida. Too many open carry states with castle doctrine laws and psychos allowed to abuse these rules. Florida's problem is that their laws make it easier for news of their craziness to get out faster than any other state.

Chaos17

Why did he fire at them?

He though they were buglars >.>...
But yes, people should not be shot when there're just n the street (public area)!.
It made me remeber the bad thing that happened months ago when a cop shooted people sleeping in their car from the off topic of Gaf, ugh.

Top Bottom