• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Paper Mario: Color Splash surprised us in a great way (new video preview)

maxcriden

Update 07/22:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/0RKJt2wxots?wmode=opaque

IGN posted a new video titled "Paper Mario Color Splash is the Big Wii U Game You Need This Fall."

Confirms:

- Hammer cutouts effectively make your paint amount level up
- Mario is the only playable character (so this probably confirms no intermissions)

Original post follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFg7Xm_PQk

Thought this was a really good preview/impressions from Altano and Sliva. I'm glad to see the game turning some of the initial negative impressions around. I think it's going to be a gem of an exclusive swan song for Wii U.

BTW, if you're interested in other recent footage of the game, check out Mpl90's thread with Dark Bloo Inn footage. The Title Screen is in the second post for those interested. In addition, I also posted some other footage in that thread.

And Calm Mind kindly made a .gif to remember, of one stylish Breakdancing Pig:

31q87r.gif

I'm also going to repost Mr. Waluigi's excellent recent posts on the game, he's got a great analysis going of how Color Splash is a major step beyond Sticker Star.

Here's a little information breakdown I made. I made it for /v/ and I'm too lazy to make it look better so deal with the greentexting please.

Color Splash is to Sticker Star what TTYD was to Paper Mario 64

>PM (SS) simplified SMRPG (PM)'s system for something that's less like a traditional JRPG
>Bowser is the bad guy again
>Story about Bowser messing with a wish-granting artefact and wishes not being granted anymore
>That aside, a straight-up "Peach got kidnapped by Bowser" story
>Toad Town = Decalburg

>TTYD (CS) takes what PM (SS) did and makes it better
>Story is about Mario going to a faraway country to solve a mystery
>TTYD (CS)'s villains are after the Crystal Stars (Big Paint Stars) for nefarious purposes while the heroes are after them to prevent said purposes, while the stars themselves were dispersed by a third party (4 legendary heroes in TTYD, ??? in Color Splash)
>Both games do something different with Peach being kidnapped (she is kidnapped by someone else than Bowser and her location is kept unknown in TTYD, while she seemingly does not get kidnapped in CS as far as we know)
>Rogueport = Port Prisma

Game has an actual story

>only main Mario characters appear but Bowser apparently being the main villain could be a red herring; as they are keeping the main villain a secret, and it wouldn't be the first time his troops got hijacked: see SMRPG, M&L1, M&L3, SPM
>there is still a mystery to solve: what are Bowser's troops gathering the island's colors for? who sent Peach the blanked-out Toad? if bowser is not actually the villain and instead his assets are only being used, where is he and who is the actual villain (assuming they are a regular mario character)? both mario and the koopalings are after the paint stars, meaning that they are not guarding them but rather looking for them at the same time, meaning that a third party spread them over the island
>developer said some people cried at the end, and hinted that had to do with huey and mario's relationship. is it a do-over of kersti's "sacrifice" in Sticker Star, or is there something actually unexpected? the developer also did not want to tell much about the story because there would be a plot twist
>goombella and parakarry both got cameos in Sticker Star in the form of text, and Goombella was going to appear in SPM as a proper characrer too. they've been trying to have these characters become paper mario regulars, could they make an appearance again at some point?

Here is the number of areas in every Paper Mario game:
>PM1: 34 areas
>PM2: 21 areas
>PM3: 34 areas
>PM4: 40 areas
>PM5: 31 areas (as seen on the world map)

Every area seen so far has been more creative than what Sticker Star did for the most part. It looks like this will feel more like a proper console Mario RPG than New Paper Mario 3DS: Home Edition.

1468852115-color-splash.png

Here is the world map as of the end of Chapter 1. Notice how these levels are completed (some aren't seen on this screenshot but you can go look by yourself): Port Prisma, Ruddy Road, that lake level, Bloo Bay Beach, that Warp Pipe (underground?) level, and one "dry land" level. There seems to be more diversity in the areas that require completion to advance through the story, unlike in Sticker Star. Actually, the name convention of both SPM and SS (1-1, 1-2...) is gone.

1468852182-paper-mario-color-splash-wo.png

Here is the entire world map. You can see the diversity in areas and the way paths branch out differently than in SS.

1468852237-paper-mario-color-splash-mario-peach-huey-screenshot.jpg

From this picture, we can assume there are 7 chapters and that you complete the areas in this order:
>red
>orange
>yellow
>green
>blue
>purple
>final area that is revealed after collecting all Big Paint Stars

First, because Morton is the first boss, we can guess the Koopalings are the game's chapter bosses. Because there are only 7 chapters, we can guess that the last chapter will have a battle with a Koopaling + the final boss, like in Super Mario World.

Secondly, we can already deduce which area corresponds to which color from the world map. So that means:
>chapter 1 is the plains, with a detour through Bloo Bay Beach, a Warp Pipe area and a mountain area, ending with The Crimson Tower
>chapter 2 is the rest of the mountain area that ends with the volcano and the dragon, although a detour through the forest is apparently made
>chapter 3 is the train ride through wilderlands that seems to end at a tower
>chapter 4 is the forest area that ends with a circus tent
>chapter 5 is maybe a desolated, haunted area? can't really tell
>chapter 6 is the boat ride we've seen, seems to end in a lighthouse
>this is pure speculation, but could chapter 7's area appear to the center-left of the map, since that part is empty? and with the game having a Super Mario World feeling and the final area of TTYD being underground, could it be something similar to the Valley of Bowser? the color theme of the area is without a doubt white or black either way

Gameplay-wise, here are the ways Color Splash improves on Sticker Star

>battles actually matter now: enemies drop items that upgrade your amount of paint.
>paint works similarly to the Star Gauge in TTYD: it gets refilled when you do attacks well. It is also not necessary for every attack, it only powers them up. You can also buy pre-painted attacks.
>Attacks are 1 use only but you can buy attacks while in battle too. Special attacks are much more common and don't require to backtrack to a town to be used anymore, as they become usable directly. Action command for the hammer is more visual but also looks like it is more difficult to perform. You can have enemy cards too, that summon a "partner" who will attack after you and take damage like you do, however the one shown so far (Shy Guy) was extremely weak. Those cards can only be obtained by fighting said enemies too.
>Apparently finding hidden Luigi locations will give rewards of some sort.
>You can attack several times per turn without using the Battle Spinner. It is an upgrade you can get, as well as a higher capacity for cards (up to 99) and higher HP. We know higher paint capacity is obtained by battling but we don't know how HP, inventory capacity and amount of attacks per turn get upgraded (in Sticker Star, you got HP upgrades by finding items in the overworld and inventory upgrades came by going through the story).
>Focus on more open areas in a natural continuation of what TTYD did.
>This is just speculation, but since you can "mark" NPCs by painting them and the developers have been talking about how they're making all NPCs identical-looking Toads as a self-imposed challenge, I wonder if it is possible to "mark" a Toad and to find out later that another Toad in another town is actually the same character.
>More speculation: since the Cat-o-Luck is obtained in Morton's room, I wonder if they will make special attacks more significant by giving out the strongest special attacks after bosses.

Finally, going off what I said previously, we can tell that all the footage we've seen so far comes from Chapter 1, a bit of Chapter 2 and a very short bit of Chapter 6. This makes me excited for what the game has to offer, as what they've shown so far already did better than Sticker Star as far as creativity goes.

I'll bump this now and see if some people are interested.

Some more things to point out:
- the Warp Pipe area could very well be Port Prisma's underground area, as it is right next to it and it having two exits would imply a rather large area (and the ground on which the area is is a dark blue for some reason that could imply it being underground too). This would make it in line with the first three PM titles, since Sticker Star didn't have such a thing. Maybe even a return of the Pit of 100 Trials?
- the world seems to be much more populated than in Sticker Star. Besides Port Prisma, we see Toad Houses (likely villages): one in Chapter 2, one in Chapter 4, one in Chapter 6. Even then, areas that are not towns are still populated - see Bloo Bay Beach and that one level with the dragon fossil.
- Paper Mario 1 and 2 followed a story structure in 2 acts for its chapters. For instance: in PM1 Chapter 1, you have to solve the issue at Koopa Village then rescue the Star Spirit from the Koopa Bros. In PM2 Chapter 3, you have to get out of the Second League then start solving the mystery of the arena while still going up in ranks. SPM followed a story structure in 4 acts for its chapters. But SS didn't have such a thing - some courses had a story going on, such as the Enigmansion, and chapters 2 and 3 had a global plot (solving the mystery of the desert and putting Wiggler's body back together) but otherwise most of the courses came down to "reach the goal". Color Splash, however, seems to have a plot per course - for instance, the Oceanfest on Bloo Bay Beach, or Morton appearing some time before his boss battle in The Crimson Tower implying that level isn't entirely a straightforward dungeon like it was the case for Sticker Star's first dungeon.

A lot of the impressions I've heard are pretty positive which is good to hear.
Being the TTYD to SS is pretty promising.
A lot of people (including me) have been hating on the game because it seems similar to Sticker Star and while I would've preferred TTYD 2 I do like that they're fixing a lot of issues Sticker Star had and I'm feeling better about it. Hope it turns out well

I'm one of those who liked SS, didn't really hate it. Seeing the gameplay being almost the same, those damn real objects and the boring Toads makes me feel uncomfortable. At the same time, the game seems to have good writing and the best graphics in the series, along with some kickass music.
I'm a Nintendo fan, this will be an insta-buy just because it shares the name with one of the best games ever made. I just hope it will be better than SS.

Yukinari

I appreciate the info dump and god bless anybody whos going to enjoy this game but im just going to accept that Paper Mario died when TYD came out.

SPM had a great story and characters holding up its mediocre gameplay, which definitely wont be the case for this game.

Sandfox

I appreciate the info dump and god bless anybody whos going to enjoy this game but im just going to accept that Paper Mario died when TYD came out.

SPM had a great story and characters holding up its mediocre gameplay, which definitely wont be the case for this game.

Well the story seems to be getting praises here lol.

Man, I really do want this game to be good, so hearing positive impressions and scenes, and Mr. Waluigi's nice post make me feel good.

But damn, I really can't express how much of a copout that literally every single NPC is a Toad. Even if the game ends up being a 10/10 that I love a lot, it'll bug me till the day I die.

El Odio

Banned
I skipped SS cause I wasn't too interested in it but Color Splash here sounds like it be manage to be fun in spite of being different from the original two games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game looks really good. Sticker Star was the weakest PM game but it was still decent; this looks to improve upon it in nearly every way, and if it adds an actual story along with its unique locations, it's likely to be an ace game. The stickers and the real life objects were jarring in SS, and they're also gone and replaced by the paint can, so there is that as another plus.

Kouriozan

I'm going to collect all the thing, again.
Liked Sticker Star so I was already interested in this game since it was announced, but those previews sounds really good.

kersti's "sacrifice" in SPM,

stupid

Anyway, according to IGN, Mario can use 1 card per turn in regular battles and 2 cards per turn in boss battles. They also think that the game might be bigger than the average PM game.

I enjoyed the Dark Bloo Inn area and the writing seems to be more fun than Sticker Star's at least (with the casual reference to Luigi for instance).

Mory Dunz

Hopefully this game comes through so the haters will eat crow

The meltdowns if this game ends up better than TTYD

uh, if it's better than TTYD I'll buy it at $60 and beat it three times.

....Why would PM fans who want a game as good as TTYD again.....hate a game as good as TTYD?

No one...or atlease very few would actually hate if that happened.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would meltdown if the game turned out to be good. It'd be more like TMS where everyone who was shitting on the game pre-launch suddenly became very quiet when the game actually got good reviews.

God bless that adorable break dancing pig but everything else can go in the recycling bin.

Nintendo rarely messes up, but when they do they just keep digging themselves deeper. It's mind-boggling how tone deaf they can be at times.

>This is just speculation, but since you can "mark" NPCs by painting them and the developers have been talking about how they're making all NPCs identical-looking Toads as a self-imposed challenge, I wonder if it is possible to "mark" a Toad and to find out later that another Toad in another town is actually the same character.

...................why with the main NPCs be nothing but generic Paper Toads?

You know the main draw me in Paper Mario was the story and characters. The battle system was good, but it wasn't amazing. Seeing it get praise for this makes me want to buy it

So there's Toads but as long as they something to say that's funny, witty or interesting I'm willing to overlook it.

rhandino

Banned
Glowing reviews and previews like expected since they showed the game at E3, it really looks fantastic.

While they are all toads SOME of them do have different appereances about them like using suits or some glasses.

Even in Sticker Star some generic looking Toads had different things to say and something resembling personalities even if they appearance was a generic Toad.

Fandangox

uh, if it's better than TTYD I'll buy it at $60 and beat it three times.

....Why would PM fans who want a game as good as TTYD again.....hate a game as good as TTYD?

Like we have seen multiple times in these threads some people just think SPM and Sticker Star were disliked for not being RPGs as opposed to those just being bad games.

If this is really as good as 1 and 2I'd be thrilled.

NotLiquid

I always told myself that Sticker Star was a prime candidate of a game that could redeem itself all over with a much better structured sequel so I welcomed a second chance.

At a cursory glance I'm still not entirely sold on whether it has actually learned from it's predecessor's shortcomings but the really positive impressions are starting to pull me over just a little bit.

RPGCrazied

Still not feeling it. But TTYD was my favorite by far, and the way things are going they aren't going to be recreating that.

I always told myself that Sticker Star was a prime candidate of a game that could redeem itself all over with a much better structured sequel so I welcomed a second chance.

At a cursory glance I'm still not entirely sold on whether it has actually learned from it's predecessor's shortcomings but the really positive impressions are starting to pull me over just a little bit.

That's my position. SS was horrible for me because what it tried to be, it failed at being. If Color Splash could ultimately make for a good SS2, then good on it, I'd probably buy it. On the subject of whether it's better than TTYD? Fuck, I'd buy it and I'd wave its banner! But if that was what turned out with CS, it would:

1. Have the best cast of characters in the series
2. Have some of the best villains in the series (or at least the best villain characterizations)
3. Have the best battle system in the series
4. Have (arguably) the best soundtrack in the series
5. Have the most varied world design in the series
6. Have the best story in the series

And to me, that's a REALLY tall order when so far, all of the evidence suggests that it's just going to be Bowser and co. (with a secret villain) and that they seem to be using generic designs for NPCs.

Miyamoto told IS to only have main Mario characters as well as no story for Sticker Star. I assume it's because he had a certain vision for the Mario series at the time (to NSMB it - it's not the only franchise that suffered, see Maro Party or Mario vs DK) and to put limitations on the development team so that they wouldn't do the same "mistakes" as in SPM (going wild with the character designs,going wild with the story, to the point of denigrating the writing of individual NPCs and the gameplay itself... at least I assume that is what their "mistake" was).

Either way we know that keeping every NPC as a Toad is on purpose for Color Splash, as Risa Tabata has mentioned how games used to be creative because of technical limitations and that they're trying to make each NPC fun and unique by limiting themselves. (god knows what goes through the mind of the people working on this)

ar4757

Man, I really do want this game to be good, so hearing positive impressions and scenes, and Mr. Waluigi's nice post make me feel good.

But damn, I really can't express how much of a copout that literally every single NPC is a Toad. Even if the game ends up being a 10/10 that I love a lot, it'll bug me till the day I die.

Yep all of this is nice and all but I can only take
so many red-and-white mushroom headed characters

Stencil

Wow I feel silly; I've been ignoring coverage since the initial trailer so much that I didn't even know it was on Wii U. I guess I had just assumed 3DS. The analogy of This:Sticker Star as TTYD:pM64 has me sold. Cool impressions thanks for posting.

Banned
Alright fine. I'll give it a shot. Need something to send my Wii U off with since zelda will be my nx launch title.

Never played one question.... How many hours can you put into a game like this? Is the gameplay style easy to pick up? What kind of rpg style are we looking at?

A straight-to-the-point playthrough lasts about 20 hours. 100%ing took me 50+ hours for all four games in the series so far.

Gameplay style is easy to pick up if you already play action games, as you have to time your attacks and defense and the overworld itself has some platforming to do. Overall the Paper Mario games are rather unique RPGs though.

Nintendo calls this one an "action-adventure" game so don't expect a RPG. It still has turn-based battles though. Each area is a "course" with an objective at the end.

I strongly suggest checking out the 4 other games if this makes you interested. Paper Mario is a Nintendo-made sequel to Square's Super Mario RPG, with a focus on having simple yet interesting mechanics (for instance, battle stats are very low and based on basic counting: one attack will do 1 damage, it will do 2 damages if you time it correctly, blocking takes off 1 damage...). Paper Mario. The Thousand-Year Door takes what Paper Mario did and makes it deeper, and gets very creative with its story (and is generally people's favorite). Super Paper Mario scraps most of the RPG mechanics and turns into a Zelda 2-like platformer with a strong focus on storyline (and on making a fool out of the player). Paper Mario: Sticker Star goes back to a 3D setting but not to the RPG style of the first two games, with a strong focus on puzzles and humor instead of story, characters or RPG mechanics. And Paper Mario: Color Splash seems to be Sticker Star 2 basically, although it takes more from the first two games from what we've seen.

Ninjimbo

This game was always going to kick ass. SS was a great game so an improvement of that sounds phenomenal to me. I just hope the fans show up to buy the game. I don't want to see this game ignored.

Mory Dunz

Miyamoto told IS to only have main Mario characters as well as no story for Sticker Star. I assume it's because he had a certain vision for the Mario series at the time (to NSMB it - it's not the only franchise that suffered, see Maro Party or Mario vs DK) and to put limitations on the development team so that they wouldn't do the same "mistakes" as in SPM (going wild with the character designs,going wild with the story, to the point of denigrating the writing of individual NPCs and the gameplay itself... at least I assume that is what their "mistake" was).

Either way we know that keeping every NPC as a Toad is on purpose for Color Splash, as Risa Tabata has mentioned how games used to be creative because of technical limitations and that they're trying to make each NPC fun and unique by limiting themselves. (god knows what goes through the mind of the people working on this)

I blame miymoto for some of the PM stuff, but I can't overall blame him for IS making a bad game. I'm not sure if he striaght told them to change the battle system, but even if he did, what they came up with wasn't good in SS. It could be RPG lite and still be great. So I can't blame him there. But that's more gameplay.

About the toads. Yeah I'm assuming they were told to keep toad only which is dumb. But what I don't get is...
If these are okay for the new "mandate":
Paper-Mario-Color-Splash-Toad-rescue-squad.png

sPY3grY.png

then why isn't more stuff like this:

okay? Unless it all comes later.

Wait....have we even seen "female" toads? Is toadette in the game? Treasure Tracker gulp.
But really, are there women?

I blame miymoto for some of the PM stuff, but I can't overall blame him for IS making a bad game. I'm not sure if he striaght told them to change the battle system, but even if he did, what they came up with wasn't good in SS. It could be RPG lite and still be great. So I can't blame him there. But that's more gameplay.

Sticker Star was also made by a team of new people, with the usual director Ryota Kawade not working on it and Vanpool co-developing the game and helping in deciding the new direction for it regarding the story (knowing they usually only work on mini-games - they did Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga's mini-games for instance). The game suffered from several things: a team made of newbies + people who usually only make mini-games, Miyamoto deciding that Super Paper Mario was the polar opposite of what Mario RPGs should be like, and IS being more concerned with Fire Emblem Awakening.

Mory Dunz

Sticker Star was also made by a team of new people, with the usual director Ryota Kawade not working on it and Vanpool co-developing the game and helping in deciding the new direction for it regarding the story (knowing they usually only work on mini-games - they did Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga's mini-games for instance). The game suffered from several things: a team made of newbies + people who usually only make mini-games, Miyamoto deciding that Super Paper Mario was the polar opposite of what Mario RPGs should be like, and IS being more concerned with Fire Emblem Awakening.

well...that would certainly explain things.

I knew Vanpool worked on it but I didn't know the influence in direction they had.

Top Bottom