• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Defends Art Style Of Controversial New Metroid Game

Earlier Metroid and Metroid Prime games have used a serious-looking art style meant to transport players into the kind of alien worlds one might see in a gritty sci-fi blockbuster.

Federation Force is using a more cuddly, chunky graphics style, fattening its protagonists and enemies. Tanabe says in the video that this was done to make it easier to depict groups of shootable enemies in a handheld game.

His explanation, emphasis added:

After completing the development of Luigi’s Mansion 2, we started working on this project with development company Next Level Games. At that time we had many discussions about how to make a multiplayer gameplay experience great on a handheld system: things like map loading time, the number of enemies we could display at a time, etcetera. There were many technical hurdles to face. But, most of all, the biggest issue was that objects you need to shoot will be so tiny on the small screen of the handheld system. That is why we decided to change things up and use this more rounded art style for the characters.

If you make the characters more rounded, enemies also become more compact, and you can display larger groups of them. Also, we compressed the surrounding terrain vertically, based on the characters’ proportions. So the amount of information we could display on screen really increased. This resulted in a different aesthetic but we wanted to prioritise providing the very best gameplay experience. After that, we tested out a version of this art style and we confirmed that it definitely offers the best handheld experience in the Metroid Prime world. That’s when we gave the go ahead to proceed in this direction.

Federation Force hasn’t just been knocked for its graphics. Some, including this writer, have questioned why Nintendo is bringing back the beloved and critically acclaimed Metroid Prime first-person sub-series after a nine year hiatus in the form of a multiplayer-centric shooter spin-off. It’s an odd move, given that the entire Metroid series was most appreciated as a slow-paced, single-player sort of sci-fi detective adventure.

In interviews, Tanabe has said that he always wanted to make a game focusing on the space pirate enemies from the Prime series, but it’s still an odd shift, one made all the harder for series fans to take given the lack of any new Metroid games since 2010.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/07/21/nintendo-defends-art-style-of-controversial-new-metroid-game

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo shouldn't have to defend anything. Whiny fanboys are being whiny fanboys. It's kind of a shame that Nintendo decided to lower themselves to their level here.

It doesn't help that 3DS is so weak and most games already look poor on it. Watching videos of Federation Force really feels like a trip back to 2000.

Wii Tank

I think people would be a lot more open about this game if it wasn't the first game in the series in 9 years. This is basically Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts here

Nintendo shouldn't have to defend anything. Whiny fanboys are being whiny fanboys. It's kind of a shame that Nintendo decided to lower themselves to their level here.
How dare someone express discontent with something. We should just let big companies do whatever they want and never speak up.

Especially when the game is at odds with the rest of the Metroid series in almost every way.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I think people would be a lot more open about this game if it wasn't the first game in the series in 9 years. This is basically Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts here

So are we just ignoring Other M being released in 2010? That's six years.

Metroid has been on eight-year hiatuses before.

Edit: I guess you're referring to the Prime "sub-series"? To be fair I don't think any Prime games were planned past 3 anyway.

How dare someone express discontent with something. We should just let big companies do whatever they want and never speak up.

Especially when the game is at odds with the rest of the Metroid series in almost every way.

It's fine for someone to express discontent with a product. The creators of said product shouldn't feel the need to defend or apologize for it, however.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I think the mayor issue is that it just doesnt look that good...Metroid is a Top Tier IP for many Nintendo fans, for Nintendo to bring it back so many years after the lackluster Other M and present this...i mean what kinda of result did they expect ? This game really didnt need to be called Metroid at all.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

nikatapi

Still looks like shit, no matter what the reasons for choosing this artstyle are. It's so unfortunate, i'm sure the system could handle a proper Metroid Prime game and it would look awesome in 3D.

If they made the game as a new IP i'm sure the reactions would be vastly different, but this shit ain't Metroid in any form.

I think the mayor issue is that it just doesnt look that good...Metroid is a Top Tier IP for many Nintendo fans, for Nintendo to bring it back so many years after the lackluster Other M and present this...i mean what kinda of result did they expect ? This game really didnt need to be called Metroid at all.

Tanabe is the producer from the Metroid Prime game and you can hear his passion for having a game starring the Federation troops.

I agree such a cooperative game could be cool but the way they went about it isn't the best.

You would think Next Level coming off of Strikers, Punch-Out and Dark Moon could have pulled something better off though.

I mean they should have just ported the Hunters DS Engine and use that. It looks much more faithful and about as good as this.

I will always like Other M.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't see the point of Nintendo defending it. The art speaks for itself, and when it opens its mouth, it vomits.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Tanabe is the producer from the Metroid Prime game and you can hear his passion for having a game starring the Federation troops.

I agree such a cooperative game could be cool but the way they went about it isn't the best.

You would think Next Level coming off of Strikers, Punch-Out and Dark Moon could have pulled something better off though.

I mean they should have just ported the Hunters DS Engine and use that. It looks much more faithful and about as good as this.

I will always like Other M.

I'm digging that Nintendo is expanding the Metroid universe past Samus Aran. I hope they take it even further in the future.

watershed

Banned
I get why they went with this art style but I actually think normally proportioned characters would have worked just as well on the 3ds. Monster Hunter has multiple players fighting in somewhat large areas against several medium sized enemies or 1 large enemy and it works on the 3ds.

I think the visual style and graphics are more reflective of the budget Nintendo gave this game. It doesn't even look nearly as good as LM2.

I don't know what Nintendo will think of the Metroid IP after this game inevitably bombs.

Ms.Galaxy

So you want Metroid games but only if they fit your guidelines of what a Metroid game should be?

This is "Super Mario 3D World isn't a 3D Mario game" all over again.

3D World is a good game and never attempted to do what Other M set out to do. The result of Metroid Other M is that it's not a good game, the character assassination of Samus and the whole pointlessness of the game is enough to warrant being in a lot of fans' ignore lists, and that's before we get into the mediocre gameplay. No one will deny it's a Metroid game, but it's not good at all and many wish it didn't exist.

Pandy

I couldn't agree more. Any Metroid Prime game on 3DS should have been based around pachinko, to properly follow on from Metroid Prime Pinball. That's what the fans of the series want, it's indisputable.

I'm digging that Nintendo is expanding the Metroid universe past Samus Aran. I hope they take it even further in the future.

If Nintendo wants to expand their online multiplayer offerings after Splatoon Space Pirates, Federation Troops and Bounty-hunters are perfect for a Destiny-clone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what Nintendo will think of the Metroid IP after this game inevitably bombs.

I doubt it will change anything, it was clear from the moment this was announced this game was not going to be well received by Metroid fans. If Nintendo is too ignorant to realize that, the series was doomed to follow in the footsteps of F-Zero with or without this game.

I find it rather ironic that practically everyone except the company that actually created Metroid realize what people want from the series, thus the explosion of "Metroidvanias" in the indie scene and plenty of influence on professional developers over the years. Meanwhile Nintendo delivers Other M and Federation Force.

Vitacat

This looks so much like a game I played on my iPad a few years ago.

Anyway, it's certainly not the Metroid game so many have wanted. Unless there's something outstanding about this game that hasn't been shown yet, I don't think it will be a big hit. But Nintendo will, of course, be fine. Pokemon Sun/Moon will sell like crazy.

Forkball

"Listen nerds, we're trying to do four player simultaneous online co-op on a piece of hardware with 2005 mobile phone tech, CUT US SOME SLACK."

Yes they should.

The art direction makes it look like a whimsical JRPG or some game with playable Miis, as opposed to the Metroid Prime X Star Wars X Halo vibe Tanabe is trying to pull off. This is especially egregious considering MP Hunters on the DS managed to emulate Prime's art direction without visual issues. Not to mention other co-op games on the 3DS like RE Revelations and Monster Hunter being perfectly playable without needing to give their characters chibi proportions.

The game concept itself is interesting and it seems to play like Prime, but the art direction is off putting. And I don't blame people for disliking it.

This would be sort of justifiable if they didn't already have a online multiplayer Metroid shooter on the DS that returned the series serious art style...and it was on a smaller screen with a lower resolution and older touch screen tech

Dunkley

After completing the development of Luigi’s Mansion 2, we started working on this project with development company Next Level Games. At that time we had many discussions about how to make a multiplayer gameplay experience great on a handheld system: things like map loading time, the number of enemies we could display at a time, etcetera. There were many technical hurdles to face. But, most of all, the biggest issue was that objects you need to shoot will be so tiny on the small screen of the handheld system. That is why we decided to change things up and use this more rounded art style for the characters.

I'm sorry but Prime Hunters managed fine running at an even lower resolution than Federation Force will.

So did all other NDS FPSes with non-chibi proportions.

I mean it's purely subjective but as a person who beat Prime Hunters and all of the CoDs on the NDS (which were surprisingly good), I have to say I never had an issue with this.

Shiggy

The in vogue handheld at the time was the Game Boy Color, so... No. Not... Not even remotely.

He obviously was not referring to handheld titles. And even then, it's not surprising that 3DS games look very outdated due to the 3DS hardware.

While I'm not a big fan of the art style, it's not that bad apart from the characters. Just something you would expect on 3DS.

Fredrik

In the end I think there is only two things Nintendo can do to not get complaints on how they handle the Metroid serie.

1. Make a AAA high budget Metroid Prime 4, preferrably for NX to get some wows for the visuals, aimed for the core gamers.

2. Make a AAA high budget Super Metroid 2, either 2D gameplay with 3D graphics like Ori or 2D gameplay with hand-drawn 2D graphics like Rayman Legends.

Retro Studio is the best choice to handle both or there will likely be unneccesary comparisons among the fans on which dev team is better as with Halo and Bungie/343.

Until this happens they're probably better off keeping the serie on hiatus.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
In the end I think there is only two things Nintendo can do to not get complaints on how they handle the Metroid serie.

1. Make a AAA high budget Metroid Prime 4, preferrably for NX to get some wows for the visuals, aimed for the core gamers.

2. Make a AAA high budget Super Metroid 2, either 2D gameplay with 3D graphics like Ori or 2D gameplay with hand-drawn 2D graphics like Rayman Legends.

Retro Studio is the best choice to handle both or there will likely be unneccesary comparisons among the fans on which dev team is better as with Halo and Bungie/343.

Until this happens they're probably better off keeping the serie on hiatus.

I'd much rather Retro do their own thing, honestly. They gave the world three great Metroid games and two great Donkey Kong titles. Let's see them work with a different IP than those two...either another Nintendo IP or something completely original.

tronic307

Pretty much guessed the odd look of the game was due to the limitations of the 3DS but why bother squeezing a pseudo-Metroid game onto 3DS when there's gotta be a new Nintendo handheld around the corner?

SoulUnison

Banned
He obviously was not referring to handheld titles. And even then, it's not surprising that 3DS games look very outdated due to the 3DS hardware.

While I'm not a big fan of the art style, it's not that bad apart from the characters. Just something you would expect on 3DS.

But the 3DS is a handheld, so that's the fair comparison.

LewieP

So the explanation is that it was hard to make a multiplayer FPS on the 3DS.

If only there was some way to make a new Metroid game that wasn't a multiplayer FPS on the 3DS...

Dremark

Banned
Still looks like shit, no matter what the reasons for choosing this artstyle are. It's so unfortunate, i'm sure the system could handle a proper Metroid Prime game and it would look awesome in 3D.

If they made the game as a new IP i'm sure the reactions would be vastly different, but this shit ain't Metroid in any form.

A lot of people complained about Prime and said it would be terrible pre release and that it wasn't Metroid.

I don't really see the harm in them making a spin off and the developer has a good track record. One of the most well recieved titles in the series has a similar origin, I don't really see why the backlash is so sharp on this. If it's poorly received it will not sell and you'll never see this type of game again, if it sells well the chances you get another mainline game go up.

Aldric

So you want Metroid games but only if they fit your guidelines of what a Metroid game should be?

This is "Super Mario 3D World isn't a 3D Mario game" all over again.

This kind of reaction is baffling to me. lt's like you're discovering the concept of franchises. What's the point of using a franchise if you're going to make a game that doesn't have anything to do with what fans of said franchise expect? lt reminds me of Capcom telling Ninja Theory to create something that fans of Devil May Cry wouldn't like or something along those lines. What's the point, beside commercial suicide? lf you want to experiment create a new franchise, if you want to get money from Metroid fans give them a Metroid game and not baby's first FPS in the Lego Star Wars universe.

Dremark

Banned
I find it rather ironic that practically everyone except the company that actually created Metroid realize what people want from the series, thus the explosion of "Metroidvanias" in the indie scene and plenty of influence on professional developers over the years. Meanwhile Nintendo delivers Other M and Federation Force.

The Metroidvanias that are selling are generbudget priced titles and not really in line with what Nintendo puts out generally. People expect those type of titles for that price range and I doubt they'll budge on that.

Other M largely predated those anyway and it was rooted in that gameplay style anyway. It was also a full price game in that genre and if the immediate price drops are any indication the game bombed harder than any other first party Nintendo title I've ever seen. (Even if it's genre isn't the reason it failed)

I completely understand why they haven't put out another game in the mainline series. The last game bombed hard and the series producer wants to work on other projects and the market itself hasn't shown a willingness to pay more than $20 for that type of game.

Lothars

If only there was some way to make a new Metroid game that wasn't a multiplayer FPS on the 3DS...
Na that would actually make sense for Nintendo to do, This game may be fine but It's dissapointing how they have treated the Metroid Franchise.

I completely understand why they haven't put out another game in the mainline series. The last game bombed hard and the series producer wants to work on other projects and the market itself hasn't shown a willingness to pay more than $20 for that type of game.
It's only because most companies are not doing making games like this, If Nintendo put in the work to make a new 2D or even 3D metroid that was like the previous game, people would be willing to pay 60 dollars for it. This game has got the reaction because it feels like they threw the Metroid name on a game that wasn't made to be a Metroid game initally. It may be a good game or might not. We will see I don't have an expectations for it but I would love to see an actual Metroid game.

Dunkley

I don't really see the harm in them making a spin off and the developer has a good track record. One of the most well recieved titles in the series has a similar origin, I don't really see why the backlash is so sharp on this. If it's poorly received it will not sell and you'll never see this type of game again, if it sells well the chances you get another mainline game go up.

Because the last Metroid we got prior to this released 6 years and it was Other M.

-shadow-

I don't have a problem with the logic for changing it, but I do have a problem with the logic to keep the game on the 3DS when they said it's hard to make a game like this due to the screen size (and I assume resolution). If you can't get it to work than don't or shift the project to another system. The artstyle they went for is truly terrible and the lack of AA makes it look even worse.

LAA

Makes sense, but can't say I'm still a fan of it. Metroid prime hunters worked fine on DS.
As is the case with this specifically though, where not as many would complain about this, is that this is the first metroid we've got in a while and that it isn't up to certain expectations is the problem. If we just had a metroid similar to MP1-3 or something then got this, I don't think as many people would be "angry"

They pulled off a more aesthetically-pleasing handheld Metroid FPS in 2005.

3421.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

search

metroid-prime-hunters-multiplayer.jpg

metroid-prime-hunters-first-hunt-demo-20041109062208513.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Opa-Pa

If you wanted to make a multiplayer experience on a handheld maybe makinh it a game in the series known for its sense of loneliness and exploration of desolate planets devoid of inteligent life wasn't the best course of action.

And if you wanted to focus on the Federation and space pirates (actually quite interesting focus IMO), perhaps you could have just made it like an actual Metroid game, just without Samus as the protagonist.

Then again careful planning and fan feedback are overrated, so you just stick to your brilliant vision Tanabe-san. Looking forward to your next interview/video where you explain in detail why we were wrong in letting this bomb.

Dremark

Banned
This kind of reaction is baffling to me. lt's like you're discovering the concept of franchises. What's the point of using a franchise if you're going to make a game that doesn't have anything to do with what fans of said franchise expect? lt reminds me of Capcom telling Ninja Theory to create something that fans of Devil May Cry wouldn't like or something along those lines. What's the point, beside commercial suicide? lf you want to experiment create a new franchise, if you want to get money from Metroid fans give them a Metroid game and not baby's first FPS in the Lego Star Wars universe.

This is a spin off, it's taking the existing series and expanding it to include a different type of game than usual. It's not a reboot where they just trash the series and pretend it doesn't exist like they did with Devil May Cry.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

Fredrik

I'd much rather Retro do their own thing, honestly. They gave the world three great Metroid games and two great Donkey Kong titles. Let's see them work with a different IP than those two...either another Nintendo IP or something completely original.
I get what you're saying but then we'll probably get the Bungie vs 343 scenario, personally I love 343's games but I was never a fan of Halo until Halo 4, most of the original Halo fans think the serie has become worse.
After the current Metroid hiatus it would be awful to restart it with those type of complaints all over the place. Who could do a better job with Metroid? Retro has shown that they're among the best devs in the whole business at both 3D and 2D gameplay.

Neiteio

Metroid Prime Hunters kept normal proportions, and it looked great and played great on hardware far less powerful. So I'm not sure I see the necessity of FF's terrible style.

Oregano

I wonder when/if releases their next handheld we'll still have developers insist everything be chibi.

It's kind of sad to see it coming from Nintendo themselves though.

Top Bottom