• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO hits 75 million downloads (50m in record time)

We're going lightning fast without much advertising.

https://sensortower.com/blog/pokemon-go-50-million-downloads
pokemon-go-50-million-comparison.png

Niantic’s smash hit Pokémon GO has barreled past another major lifetime milestone, having surpassed 50 million worldwide downloads on Google Play alone over the weekend. That not only makes it the fastest game to exceed 50 million installs on the platform, at just 19 days after launching in Australia and New Zealand on July 5, but also the fastest to that milestone ever for combined worldwide iOS and Android downloads.

King’s most recent Candy Crush spin-off, Candy Crush Jelly Saga, surpassed 50 million installs after just over three months, but even it did so with the help of copious mobile, web, and real world advertising. So far, Pokémon GO has yet to be featured on the App Store or Google Play in any country, and only ran a limited number of app install ads for three days following its launch, according to our Ad Intelligence platform.

Neoxon

Congrats to everyone involved. While I'm not using it as much as I would like, I look forward to the updates that will be added to the game.

guek

Banned
Yes, the active user base is going to plummet with time

No, the game wont last forever

But if they continue to release new gens in regular intervals, I definitely see myself and many others playing casually for as long as the game is supported. It's just fun to catch shit throughout the day, I can't help it!

Yes, the active user base is going to plummet with time

No, the game wont last forever

But if they continue to release new gens in regular intervals, I definitely see myself and many others playing casually for as long as the game is supported. It's just fun to catch shit throughout the day, I can't help it!

Hell, if they dwindle at the rate of the other top earners that have been around for years (which is still down to millions), I'm all for it.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
And now I hope they bury the NX and go full third party.

Image how much money they could earn if they release pokemon moon/sun on smartdevices/pc/consoles....

Alx

We're going lightning fast without much advertising.

I guess the game doesn't really need advertising when it's all over the local news and twitter already... also people playing it everywhere are just as effective as an advertising platform.

Majukun

they should hurry and do something about location spoofers though...i'm already losing my will to play this game once i realized i probably the only one in my town actually walking

Firemind

they should hurry and do something about location spoofers though...i'm already losing my will to play this game once i realized i probably the only one in my town actually walking
that can't be right

that or you're living in silicon valley

MuchoMalo

Banned
And now I hope they bury the NX and go full third party.

Image how much money they could earn if they release pokemon moon/sun on smartdevices/pc/consoles....

Not much more unless they change the structure of the game completely to accommodate a microtransaction model, which would alienate a lot of people. They'd also only actually get around 40-50% of the revenue.

Seriously though, people are thristy for third-party Nintendo. One game does well and everyone is like, "SEE!? THEY'D MAKE BILLIONS AS THIRD PARTY! CANCEL NX, IT IS PROVEN!"

That said, the rumor that seems to coming about NX sounds like a guaranteed flop so they probably would be more successful as third-party, but not to the degree that you people think. Realistically, they wouldn't even make as much as they did during the GameCube/GBA era.

Amazing that it's reached this figure so quickly, in the period where it's effectively "soft-launched" with no notable advertising or advertising plan in place.

Still, why isn't the app featured on the iOS App Store yet? It's not on the front page, neither is it on the "games" page which matches the category of the app. And Niantic's app submission still features two ugly, outdated beta screenshots of the game that show the wrong interface and font.

Ultimadrago

Congrats to everyone involved. While I'm not using it as much as I would like, I look forward to the updates that will be added to the game.

Yeah, I may come back later after they've improved it. I only used it for about three days before stopping. Hopefully it'll grow into a fuller experience sooner than later?

Amazing that it's reached this figure so quickly, in the period where it's effectively "soft-launched" with no notable advertising or advertising plan in place.

Still, why isn't the app featured on the iOS App Store yet? It's not on the front page, neither is it on the "games" page which matches the category of the app. And Niantic's app submission still features two ugly, outdated beta screenshots of the game that show the wrong interface and font.

I imagine featuring costs money and its not like they need to even bother

Top Bottom