• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

No individual console and handheld device. You get both in one here. Official unveiling in September apparently.

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

NX will use game cartridges as its choice of physical media, multiple sources have also told us.

Considering NX's basis as a handheld first and foremost, the choice may not come as too much of a surprise - although we have heard the suggestion Nintendo recommends a 32GB cartridge

Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

More info about the chipset: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra
A stock Tegra X1 which powers NX dev units have 0.512TF but likely the end-platform has some customizations. Power somewhere between a Wii-U and XB1 (but portable).

iyk68.jpg

Kotaku is also throwing in with Eurogamer: http://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-nx-is-a-portable-console-1784314749

Kotaku said:
Unlike many previous NX rumors, this Eurogamer report has weight. Although Kotaku has not been able to confirm all of the details, we’ve heard similar rumors and have seen some secondhand corroboration on specifics including the NX’s portability and use of cartridges.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Trying to select a few quotes, but there<s a lot in there.

Nvidia is providing the core technology that powers Nintendo's next generation NX console. Multiple sources have confirmed that the new machine is based around Nvidia's mobile-orientated Tegra processor, with development kits currently using the Tegra X1 chip found in the Shield Android TV console and the Google Pixel C tablet.

At a really basic level, NX is effectively a reversal of the Wii U GamePad concept. It's a fully integrated mobile games machine you can plug into an HDTV, as opposed to a console with a semi-portable gaming component, bolstered with a unique 'go anywhere' take on local multiplayer.

And the compromise there is clear - a relatively lower level of performance compared to the existing current-gen machines. Nvidia's Tegra technology is built with a specific profile in mind: a delicate balance between performance and power efficiency in order to maintain battery life, the life force of mobile gaming. What this means is that prior, plausible rumours of an AMD-powered console with PS4-beating performance and utilising x86 architecture are erroneous. NX is smaller, leaner, portable - and yes, less powerful.

Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September.

After the confused PR fiasco of the Wii U launch, the company is already settling on a simple marketing message for NX - of being able to take your games with you on the go.

oni-link

I'm kind of happy with this as a concept

Lets hope the execution and price point don't ruin it

Edit: I guess no PS4/XB1 ports then?

Zalman

Sounds freaking fantastic. Nintendo's teams only have to focus on a single platform now rather than a console and a handheld.

Plum

So a hybrid as we were all predicting? Come on, Nintendo, confirm it already! If it's as powerful as an Xbox One this will be exactly what I would have wanted the NX to be.

Not sure how the two controller spaces are going to work on a handheld, though, would make it very bulky indeed.

What?

Like a Transformer Console? I had those toys in the 80's.

Is there a premium version that turns into a decent console?
/s

Really though, sounds like the stuff that breaks after a few months.

Ragona

Id actually be really really hyped about it.
Loving my 3DS, so a portable All-in nintendo console? hell yes

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This relates to the idea that the Tegra X1 in the NX development hardware is apparently actively cooled, with audible fan noise. With that in mind, we can't help but wonder whether X1 is the final hardware we'll see in the NX. Could it actually be a placeholder for Tegra X2?

It makes no sense for active cooling with a fan. They have to be waiting for X2, which may be why it was delayed.

Griss

It's a portable? That was my prediction and desperate hope from the start!! And Eurogamer is reliable!!

YESSSSSS

Maniac

Banned
More proof Ninty is stuck in the 90's and haven't had an innovative idea in a decade. Good stuff.

... Ninty isn't ever going to become relevant in the "platform war" ever again, are they?

Just when we thought third party support couldn't get any worse... Jeez. RIP Ninty.

"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility."

Pretty important to note too if it's true

Kthulhu

So a hybrid as we were all predicting? Come on, Nintendo, confirm it already! If it's as powerful as an Xbox One this will be exactly what I would have wanted the NX to be.

Not sure how the two controller spaces are going to work on a handheld, though, would make it very bulky indeed.

Maybe it'll connect like a Sega Nomad.

Kouriozan

And yep, hybrid.
I can't think of how the same game would have been compatible with both handheld and home console otherwise.

No backward compatibility was a given.

2 controller sides is not one of the options I considered, was thinking detachable clamshell. I guess they stay separate Wii style rather than recombining into a pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom