• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music buys "Carpool Karaoke" TV series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple Music's next non-music media endeavor will be a formal show based on the James Corden's Carpool Karaoke bit.

The music service has bought a 16-episode series based on the popular Late Late Show segment; Corden and Late Late Show producer Ben Winston will produce, CBS announced Tuesday.

Each installment, featuring a to-be-announced host (who won’t be Corden) and celebrities belting tunes while riding to locations meaningful to the star, will be available exclusively to Apple Music subscribers.

This is interesting not because of the show, but because of the content provider. It's been rumored that Apple has been getting into the original content game, with leaks coming out on a Dr. Dre starring hip-hop series called "Vital Signs", being made by Apple. So, with Apple getting ready to fight Netflix & Amazon with their own set of original series, the only question is whether their new slate will be getting its full reveal with the iPhone 7.

Strange move Apple.

It's been long overdue for them to finally get in the original content game, in my opinion. They've had the cash, the means to distribute, and now, the captive audience e.g. Apple Music subscribers. Now, instead of moneyhatting albums & mixtapes, they can spend some of their dough on TV series.

Although, time will only tell if those shows will be good. The way I see it, these shows are like extra goodies tacked on to sweeten the Apple Music deal. I don't think Apple will be going full-on Netflix just yet, but this is definitely sowing the seeds for something. "Vital Signs" and this would be like their "Lillyhammer" and "Hemlock Grove", first attempts at creating something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is a strange plan, Apple. I mean Cordon is what makes the game what it is. That's so silly. I mean I know Cordon is busy with the show but without him, what's the point?

Also, yeah, does he have to stop doing it now? Surely he wouldn't have sold them the show if either A) he didn't want to do it anymore anyway, or B) retained the rights enough that he could still do the concept.

Decider

The fact that James Corden is now a household name in the US is something I'll find bewildering until the day I die.

And does this mean he has to stop doing them for his show? Or are they going to come up with a different name?

This is a strange plan, Apple. I mean Cordon is what makes the game what it is. That's so silly. I mean I know Cordon is busy with the show but without him, what's the point?

Also, yeah, does he have to stop doing it now? Surely he wouldn't have sold them the show if either A) he didn't want to do it anymore anyway, or B) retained the rights enough that he could still do the concept.

He doesn't care, he's getting paid still

Does this mean James Corden won't be doing them on his show anymore?

I guess the one you could compare it to is whether or not Fallon continued with Lip Sync Battle after the show began. I have no idea whether he did or not, but that's what'll likely happen to the bit.

This seems identical to what happened with Lip Sync Battle on Jimmy Fallon.

No worries, Corden will just find another fun thing to do with his guests and he still gets paid for Carpool Karaoke despite not being really involved in it at all.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The fact that James Corden is now a household name in the US is something I'll find bewildering until the day I die.
Corden will always be "The Doctor's roommate from that one awesome episode of Doctor Who and that other not so awesome sequel they did the next season" to me.

I'm talking about "The Lodger". ❤️

Mimosa97

This will be boring without Corden singing his heart out during every song.

Not a fan of his show but the carpool Karaoke segments are fantastic.

I guess the one you could compare it to is whether or not Fallon continued with Lip Sync Battle after the show began. I have no idea whether he did or not, but that's what'll likely happen to the bit.

I don't think he did (at least, I can't think of any time I've seen it recently on The Tonight Show). I think now he mainly does the random musical impressions thing that I can't remember the name of.

Maximus.

He is producing the show, so he is making money off of it. I am sure he still has the rights to continue doing the same segment. Seems to be the most successful bit his show has right now.

This seems like a really boneheaded move by Eddy Cue. If Apple should've learned anything from Top Gear (aside from not bidding enough for the talent), it's that you can't replicate a concept when that concept is a success in large part due to particular personalities. Carpool Karaoke works only because Corden is both genuinely enthusiastic and honest about his love of music, and also because he's actually pretty amazing at remembering lyrics and has a good voice.

This seems like a calculated move to gain more Apple Music exclusives. Promise the musicians a free media blitz in exchange for exclusive album or streaming rights. They're already doing this to an extent, having underwritten costs for some artists' music videos and promoting them heavily on the Beats 1 station, so this is a natural extension of that.

So while it may seem like a smart move to Apple execs, it's going to be a huge flop because Apple doesn't understand content.

numble

This seems like a really boneheaded move by Eddy Cue. If Apple should've learned anything from Top Gear (aside from not bidding enough for the talent), it's that you can't replicate a concept when that concept is a success in large part due to particular personalities. Carpool Karaoke works only because Corden is both genuinely enthusiastic and honest about his love of music, and also because he's actually pretty amazing at remembering lyrics and has a good voice.

This seems like a calculated move to gain more Apple Music exclusives. Promise the musicians a free media blitz in exchange for exclusive album or streaming rights. They're already doing this to an extent, having underwritten costs for some artists' music videos and promoting them heavily on the Beats 1 station, so this is a natural extension of that.

So while it may seem like a smart move to Apple execs, it's going to be a huge flop because Apple doesn't understand content.

This is produced by James Corden, who has a financial incentive to make it a successful series. Seems like it would be a boneheaded move on Corden's part if you are right about his on screen presence being crucial.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This doesn't work without Cordon.

I dunno, it could. BUT: The gimmick is already done by him. Who is going to watch Adale belt out her tunes (or someone elses) again if it isn't with him?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People who want to see Adele.

Those same people could just queue her up on iTunes AND look longingly at a photo of her, in that case. Does iTunes still do Music Videos? That's another way of watching her. There's no point to copying Cordon's gimmick outside of hoping to have the lightning strike twice.

I mean at least Lip Sync battle has a hook to go past it's origins: Celebs that AREN'T musicians dancing/lip-syncing to tunes they enjoy. Carpool Karoke doesn't have that right now. Maybe iTunes version will have non-Musicians sing? IDK, but if it's just going to be Adale singing "Hello"-2, it's not going to work.

element

is corden going down well over there, then?
There has been actual rumors of him and Colbert actually swapping spots. Corden has really developed a very strong following, is extremely likable, self replicating and also his format is really refreshing using the The Graham Norton Show format of all guests together having a chat versus the more structured 80's Tonight Show of monologue, Guest 1, comedy bit, Guest 2, Musical Guest.

Why not? Wayne's a very funny guy and his musical improvisation skills are second to none.
Wayne can be funny and is musically skilled, but he is also annoying. Corden is like Fallon, that it is just hard to hate the guy. Other celebrities LOVE them. You can feel the connection much like Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee.

Coffee is grade-A unfunny and America can keep him. As long as he stays well away from the UK from now on.

I do wonder who they're going to have host it. I can see them using a big celebrity, I mean Taylor Swift's gimmick with Apple commercials is already singing her heart out in ridiculous ways.

Zakalwe

Banned
I've never been able to stand him. Charming, likeable, talented... different strokes.

Happy for him though, if Americans love him you're welcome to keep him!

There has been actual rumors of him and Colbert actually swapping spots. Corden has really developed a very strong following, is extremely likable, self replicating and also his format is really refreshing using the The Graham Norton Show format of all guests together having a chat versus the more structured 80's Tonight Show of monologue, Guest 1, comedy bit, Guest 2, Musical Guest.

This is worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom