• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the heck i'm supposed to clean my glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
I got my first pair ever of glasses yesterday and it's a plastic lens with this dumb antireflective coating (never ever again) that prevents to clean them with a simple cloth because it spreads all the nastiness all over the lens.
Because it's summer and i'm sweating every other hour these things get dirty really quick.

I can't seem to find a way to clean these damn things, online i find everything and the opposite of everything (warm water! absolutely not warm water! alcohol is ok! alcohol will ruin everything!)

Even if clean them with water the moment i try to dry them with the the microfiber cloth they gave me smudges go spread all over...

Again: Plastic lenses with antireflective coating

Please help.

http://lifehacker.com/5980802/the-correct-way-to-clean-eyeglasses said:
The AOA recommends washing glasses every morning, paying special attention to the frames and earpieces, where hair product and makeup tend to rub off. Whatever you do, don't use the most handy form of water to clean your lenses. "Some people use spit, but don't," urges Dr. Geist. Though dirty glasses won't cause an eye infection, saliva "is not the best hygiene method, and it just won't work very well," she says. Soap, warm water and a dry cloth are all you need, once a day, to keep glasses optimally clean and functional.

#fivesecondsofgoogle

Something like this basically. You really only need the fluid when they're greasy. Otherwise just breathe on them, wipe them with the microfiber cloth, and you're good to go.

entremet

I got my first pair ever of glasses yesterday and it's a plastic lens with this dumb antireflective coating (never ever again) that prevents to clean them with a simple cloth because it spreads all the nastiness all over the lens.
Because it's summer and i'm sweating every other hour these things get dirty really quick.

I can't seem to find a way to clean these damn things, online i find everything and the opposite of everything (warm water! absolutely not warm water! alcohol is ok! alcohol will ruin everything!)

Even if clean them with water the moment i try to dry them with the the microfiber cloth they gave me smudges go spread all over...

Please help.

Microfiber cloth.

Keep one with you like a handkerchief.

You sound like a greasy guy.

jblank83

Use the microfiber cloth that came with glasses for small smudges or lint.

For greasy lenses that won't get clean...

-Go to the kitchen/bathroom
-Drop a bit of handsoap on the lenses
-Run some water
-Clean lenses with fingers
-Dry with towel

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
xR8ACGT.jpg

Get them clean first off. Just running them under water might not be enough. It will get the dust and stuff but that is about it.

Get a cloth and dry the water off. This might take a whole microfiber cloth.

Use each corner of a cloth and using your thumb and index finger, wipe that shit down until there are no more streaks.

Learn to live with crap on your glasses. If not, you will be cleaning them constantly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have like 10 of those laptop screen/glasses cleaning cloths randomly around my apartment and at work.

When in public, I use my shirt.

Mr. X

Please help.
Warm water and the cleaning cloth. That's what my optometrist told me when he handed me mine.

Last weekend I bought 10 microfiber cloths because I thought that would past me a while, the store accidentally sent me 150 so now i have a lifetime supply

1) Rinse them in water.
2) Get your finger and thumb wet.
3) Put a drop or two of soap on your finger.
4) Rub it with your thumb.
5) Clean your glasses with your soapy fingers
6) Rinse very, very well
7) Clean with a nice cloth

Husker86

Oh man, I hate when I have little specks of stuff on my glasses. I wear contacts most of the time, but glasses are definitely better for me as far as vision goes. But if there is a little speck of dust/lint on the lens, it becomes the only thing I can see.

I wish I weren't so scared of laser eye correction procedures.

LeleSocho

Banned
1) Rinse them in water.
2) Get your finger and thumb wet.
3) Put a drop or two of soap on your finger.
4) Rub it with your thumb.
5) Clean your glasses with your soapy fingers
6) Rinse very, very well
7) Clean with a nice cloth

Won't soap ruin the coating?
Does stuff like Dove shower work or is it too aggressive?

hobozero

If you don't have a microfiber cloth, use dish soap. Squirt a little on and rub it around with your fingers, then rinse. The stuff is made to get grease off dishes and rinse cleanly away, so it's pretty much perfect for glasses.

entremet

Hand soap is mild.

Just don't use a scratchy towel. Scratches will ruin the coating, not soap.

If your lenses get greasy enough, a cloth won't clean them.

I thought that too until I got a decent brand of microfiber cloth.

You do need to wash the cloth after much usage though. That's essential.

DJ_Lae

I use my shirt, as long as it's cotton.

If they're really goddamn filthy, then a microfiber cloth and this stuff:

C9Cbib0.jpg

Zaru

Dish soap + finger, rinse with water, dry out any remaining drops. At least when you have access to those things.

Prez

You need a spray that degreases the glasses, either one made for the purpose of cleaning glasses or a mixture of 50% water and 50% Windex. Always clean with a cloth, not with paper or microfiber towels which can cause scratches. Once you get small scratches soap and anything containing alcohol can damage the coating.

Antireflective coating is always a good thing and has nothing to do with your problem.

I advise against using these. It's paper (which scratches) and most of the time contains alcohol which will damage the coating if it gets underneath scratches.

Horan19

Neo Member
Using your shirt shouldn't hurt your lenses or anything, but they might be a bit foggy afterwards. If you're like me and that just drives you crazy then I'd recommend going to any place that sells glasses and buying a microfibre cloth or two and one of the tiny spray bottles of cleaner they all seem to sell; shouldn't cost you more than 10 bucks total, and it makes a huge difference in keeping them crystal clear. Just make sure to still give them a rinse.

Edit: the extra cloths are so that you can cycle them before having to put them in the wash. They get dirty after a few days, and you just end up spreading gunk. Wash them cold without detergent.

Rinse with warm water> let it drip off (almost instant on the frame) then dry lenses with cloth> spray with cleaner> rub off cleaner (I recommend going in straight lines across. You may need to reapply one or twice until you get the hang of it and can avoid streaks, but usually when I rub in a circle they end up a little cloudy.)

Sounds like a pain (and it sort of is) but it only takes a minute or two. And seriously, get the cleaner. It's night and day.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
lol. those are the ones i use.

They're amazing.
This girl at work looked at me and said "Are you wearing glasses without the lens? Just the frames?" - they are so clean all the time she thought I was wearing them just for style.

And I was like "...Uh...No?"

The Magic Fibers just work so well, no solution or liquid needed at all.

If you don't have a microfiber cloth, use dish soap. Squirt a little on and rub it around with your fingers, then rinse. The stuff is made to get grease off dishes and rinse cleanly away, so it's pretty much perfect for glasses.
yes, a just small drop of dish soap will work better than anything. I have oleophobic coating on my glasses, and microfiber cloths still just spread the grime around if the lenses are particularly bad.

augmental

I like Zeiss wipes. They aren't perfect but they are probably the best you can find. I'm always using them. I buy them in a big box, probably 160 count or something like that.

blamite

All I do is run the lenses under the faucet for a couple seconds and then wipe them dry with a tissue. Works fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom