• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR requires 2x3 metres of space to use. Polygon requires 2x3 beers to comprehend.

mocoworm

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/29/12321092/playstation-vr-space-requirement

dam-psvr-playarea_en2.jpg

Sony’s upcoming PlayStation VR headset will require about 60-square-feet of cleared space to use and asks that players remain seated whenever possible while playing, according to new documentation released by the company.

The PlayStation Camera, which is required to use the VR headset, needs a cleared play area of about 9.8 feet by 6.2 feet, according to a sales brochure for the device.

"Limit your use of PS VR to within the Play Area," according to the brochure. "Clear an area larger than the Play Area of all obstacles before using PS VR and remain seated whenever possible. If the application requires you to stand while wearing the VR headset, follow the application instructions carefully, and maintain awareness of your surroundings."

The height of the play area will be dependent on how high up the camera is set, according to the official PlayStation Asia site.

The site also urges potential customers to try the PS VR at a store or a trial event before purchasing one.

"PS VR uses 3D vision technology," according to the site. "As there are individual difference in viewing 3D graphics and feeling of wearing VR headset, please try PS VR at shops or trial events before purchase."

The PlayStation VR will feature both a social screen mode which allows people not wearing the headset to play along or just watch what the player is doing via the television.

A cinematic mode allows users to watch various movies and PS4 games on a big screen in a virtual space. The headset can also be used to explore 360-degree photos and videos taken by devices such as an omnidirectional camera, according to the site.

As with all virtual reality headsets, PlayStation says children under 12 should not use the device.

As we reported earlier this year, the PlayStation VR headset also comes with a separate processor unit. The unit is about 5.6 inches wide by 1.5 inches tall by 5.6 inches tall. By comparison, the Wii is about 6 inches by 1.75 inches by 8.5 inches.

The headset, due out on Oct. 13, delivers 960x1080 resolution to each eye at a refresh rate of 120Hz or 90Hz. The field of view is about 100 degrees. A person’s natural field of view is 180 degrees by 150 degrees.

georly

Uhhhh ok. Wasn't expecting to need THAT much. I guess this is only for 'room scale' type games, like job simulator? And not so much rez infinite.

what's the reason for a big area like that if you should remain seated anyway?

I'm assuming it's for 'room scale' type games and since this doesn't have the tech to support mapping out your actual room's dimensions they have to err on the side of caution.

A lot of that space is just for saftey, not smacking your hand against a coffee table or tripping up over stuff. I doubt you need all that space to play every single game especially when sat down.

That's almost as much as the Vive's requirements for room-scale VR.

Also I'm almost positive we won't need this much space for seated/standing games. Only the games like Headmaster that have us walking/moving around.

HTC Vive doesn't have space requirements for seated/standing games, only movement based games, sobi think this will be carried over to PSVR.

I'm assuming it's for 'room scale' type games and since this doesn't have the tech to support mapping out your actual room's dimensions they have to err on the side of caution.

What's the point of that if you can't move around? Maybe I misunderstand what a room scale game is.

EDIT: Should have read the first part of your post :p Yeah I guess that could be the case

Madchad

whelp as hyped as i am for VR on PS i do not have that kind of space available so canceling my preorder a while ago was a wise move.

Teletraan1

Banned
a 2x3 area is hardly "big" and should just double as where you are seated already. Unless you don't have room to sit and play games now this is a complete non issue.

Alx

It seems to be the opposite of "needing" that space. The camera can track you within 60 sq ft, so that's the maximum area you'll need. But if you remain seated then you won't need anything else but your chair space and a direct line of sight to the camera.

Altima

Not sure if I want motion/position censor in VR when I am playing any serious games.

it should be required only in game that focus on using VR.

Teletraan1

Banned
Man the more I hear about this the less interested I become. I might cancel my pre order

You are going to cancel your pre order because this thing is telling you to sit in the same place you do now and not move out of a 2x3 area? In that case I think you should cancel.

Haemi

I think it's not the area you need. it's the area the camera is able to track. you have to be inside this area for proper tracking.

Edit: Jep, just read the documentation. it's the space you should stay in, not the space you need.

Lol at people complaining. The space you need is basically the lengths of your arms so you dont hit stuff by accident. The demos i had with a PSVR was in a small hotel room rented by Sony and it worked flawlessly. No worries to have here seriously

Biske

Well, glad I cancelled my order. I'm sure you can get away with having less room,but a lot of folks don't have much to work with as it is

The journalist simply misunderstood Sony's document. They arent talking about the *required* play area: it's just the area in which you can play without problems, sitting. It means that you can sit as near as 0.6 meters and as far as 3 meters to the camera.

It doesen't by any ways mean you need to have 3 meters of free space in front of your TV: you can play fine with just 1mt.

I guess i'll have to move the table to somewhere else whenever I want to play...

mmm....

Will it affect, in any way, if someone is sitting next to me while using it? and by that I mean someone not playing, but using a laptop or something

georly

What's the point of that if you can't move around? Maybe I misunderstand what a room scale game is.

EDIT: Should have read the first part of your post :p Yeah I guess that could be the case

Yeah i haven't looked too closely into the PSVR library, but it seems like a good chunk of the games are 'sit down and play' but there *are* some games that i've played room scale going to it, like job simulator. You don't really 'walk around' in those, but you do reach around and under things, so they probably just don't want you to bang your tv while making a sandwich.

MadSexual

This is almost entirely a safety message. I played with a rep standing over my shoulder the whole time, and he said he plays on his couch with a coffee table in front of him.

JP

Is that not the recommended space for the PS4 camera anyway? I'm pretty sure that it was about that.

EDIT:
I vaguely remember Polygon doing exactly the same thing when the PS4 camera was announced and they presented it as if people wouldn't be able to use it without having a massive from to set it up in. Thanks Polygon. :)

Azriell

I'm sure some of that space is required so the camera can track you and you don't go out of its fov, but a lot of that is probably to cover their asses when you trip over your table or smack your hand against the wall.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just looking at the image and the space behind the player in the example and thinking that is required to play seated game is so retarded you need a games journalism degree to believe it.

The journalist simply misunderstood Sony's document. They arent talking about the *required* play area: it's just the area in which you can play without problems, sitting. It means that you can sit as near as 0.6 meters and as far as 3 meters to the camera.

It doesen't by any ways mean you need to have 3 meters of free space in front of your TV: you can play fine with just 1mt.

Doesn't the official image in the document show a play area though?

Edit: Right, it's the area for which anyone can move about in and have PS VR work correctly.

The amount of clear space they are "requiring" is likely just Sony covering their ass in case someone uses it in a tight space with tons of shit around them and ends up falling over or otherwise hurting themselves or something. Sony can point to their documentation and say "See, we told them that it requires 60-square-feet of clear space to use!"

I highly doubt it "requires" it.

TalonJH

I feel like the large play area is more just so you don't knock something over and get hurt. I've played it with people standing literally right beside me and there were no problems.

UrbanRats

That just means "don't put the things in the area because your hands will hit", right?

This is what i'm assuming, yeah.
I see no reason why, as a seated experience mainly, you would need more than your chair, and some ulterior space around it to move your hands, at best.

I think they're just covering their asses with this.

"Limit your use of PS VR to within the Play Area"

1) The Play Area shows every possible location someone could reasonably play seated and expect PS VR to work.

"Clear an area larger than the Play Area of all obstacles before using PS VR"

2) This is where you can correctly assume that the Play Area is also how much space you need to clear to use the device, by Sony's official guidelines.

So while you could sit anywhere in the Play Area, an obstruction that also exists inside that area could prevent (1) from being true.

Top Bottom