• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo NX Mock-up thread. Post yours here!

Hello fellow Gaffers! I don't usually make threads like this, but I thought it'd be fun to show off a bit of my creativity, and maybe inspire others to share theirs.

After Eurogamer's NX rumors last week, I've been racking my brain trying to visualize this damn thing. What better way to do that than to design the system myself, right? Unfortunately I don't have access to Adobe software, so I made this in Paint. I spent a fair bit of my free time last week on this, so I hope you all like it. Feel free to share your thoughts and any designs you might want to show off as well. With an official reveal looming on the horizon, the fun won't last forever, so let's see what you got!

Before I get to my design, I just want to clarify a few things about it.

First of all, I couldn't figure a way to incorporate detachable, working controllers into it, so I opted for a tablet---which I refer to as a slate---model with detachable controller pieces that can connect to a "controller core." This creates a single, fully functioning controller that can sync up to the docking station that connects the slate to the television. The idea was that all features like gyro controls, the battery, the NFC and wireless functionality would be in a single unit, so the right and left controller pieces only contained the buttons, sticks, scroll wheels and rumble motors, which are powered by the core. This seemed like the most cost effective way to do this, as additional controllers, containing the core, left and right pieces, could be sold separately as a single unit for about the same price as other controllers on the market.

The second thing I wanted to clarify are the proportions. I designed everything with a 6" screen in mind. The sticks, triggers, and D-pad are supposed to be identical in size to the ones featured on the Wii U gamepad, while the face buttons are only slightly larger than those featured on the 3DS XL. The width of the full controller unit is about the same as a NES controller, so while compact, it should fit comfortably in most hands.

Finally I just want to list off a few things I had in mind about the device's specifications and functionality.

-The slate features a 6" capacitive touch screen with a 540p resolution for simple scaling from console mode's 1080p.

-The slate features front and rear facing cameras, a microphone, NFC functionality and gyro controls.

-The control piece's L and R buttons are also scroll wheels.

-The slate sits in the docking station at a slight angle and can display rudimentary images and data when in console or sleep mode.

-The docking station does increase computing power slightly to optimize for gaming on the TV---1080p, 5.1 Linear PCM audio, etc.

-The slate features flash memory that can be expanded via the SD card slot.

-Memory on the base station can also be expanded via the USB slots.

-The power and home buttons have been combined.

-The controller core can be set in the base station and charged when not used.

-Not pictured in my design are a volume slider, a mic/headphone jack and a wireless switch, all on the top and bottom portions of the slate.

Yes, the Gamecube controller adapter works with the base station!

kaZldH5.jpg

Hope you all like it and I look forward to seeing yours!

AfroDust

I'm still coming to terms with the revelation that the NX is basically everything I didn't want it to be, but I really like your design. Good job. Seeing it visualized like that makes it a more appealing concept.

orioto

Good Art™
First of all, I couldn't figure a way to incorporate detachable, working controllers into it, so I opted for a tablet---which I refer to as a slate---model with detachable controller pieces that can connect to a "controller core."

I love how actually, everyone imagining things with the NX kinda drop this. It' like it's always an obstacle to any view you have of the console. You're like "there would be this and that, so cool.. but wait, those fucking detachable controllers.. how can that shit works..."

Everyone is secretly hoping Eurogamer was wrong. I personally fear this is the thing Nintendo needs to conquer the casual market, and it's going to potentially ruin what could have been something simple and efficient for us.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It just dawned at me that if NX turns up something like this concept, it's essentially an admission that the screen in the Wii U controller was so useless that they'd rather rip it out to do nothing at all, than have it in your hands in the living room.

G.ZZZ

This is the best mockup ever and the only one that actually consider having two fully functional seperate controllers detachable from the sides. Functional include size so mockups with 2-3" controllers don't count.

7nTUHmP.png

The upper side of that NX would have holes on the back where you slide in the two controllers, size 11.5 cm x 5 cm, or slightly bigger than NES ones. The zone where the buttons and sticks are on a lower level to allow sliding inside the hole. The controllers would block themselves as if they were two carts along the guides of the holes, but with no eletrical contacts. The discontinued lines indicate where the controllers would end in the back, as you can see, they take the whole lenght of the thing because they need every bit of lenght possible to be comfortable as standalones. The lack of detachable and reattachable controller parts like most mockups would make the thing much more sturdy and less prone to break, and it wouldn't be possible to break, for example, only the left or right part, and you'd be able to play on the go in two players. As for the size, the whole thing would still be quite a bit smaller than the WiiU tablet (23*10*2 cm or 9" * 4" * 1.7"), with a 5" screen. Triggers and other buttons aren't pictured but they are present. Sticks are like the 3DS ones sadly, but if this is primarily a portable, it's probably realistic to expect those anyway.

BD1

Banned
My very crude mockup made in GIMP. No clue the feasibility, but I think the detachable controllers will have physics analog sticks, and physics circle pads for navigation, but the rest will be all digits buttons/touchscreen:

NX+Hybrid.png

Even worse mockups with digits button customization:

NX+Multiplayer.png

NXBotW.png

KAL2006

Banned
Too lazy to make a mock up but here is my description

Portable Mode
NX is phablet sized with a 5 inch 540p screen
It has slide out controls similar to a Xperia Play
The slide out controls consist of the standard 3DS layout but with a 2nd Analog slider
The slide out controls can also be detached. It isn't 2 pieces like the rumour suggests but one piece.

Docked Mode
You can dock the system on a docking station. Once docked the NX runs on full clock speed. The dock also has a RAM expansion. Running on full clock and the extra expansion allows the games to run at 720p to 1080p in comparison to the portable mode of 540p. The detachable control piece can then be used as a regular controller. Of course there is an option to purchase a Pro Controller if you don't like using the slide pads and want full analog sticks.

NX Power is basically
Wii U level power when portable
2x Wii U Power when docked

Price will be $260 for full system with docking station in March 2016

For fall 2017 Nintendo will then sell a SKU just the portable on its own an know docking station for $200.

Edit: I'm not a fan if Wii U Pad or Tablet sized gaming for Portable. Hopefully Nintendo aims for Vita and 3DS XL size for the portable.

shiyrley

Banned
I insist on the dock having a hard drive. (so that you can play the games on it while docked and move games between the SD card on the console and the HDD on the dock to decide which games you take on the go).

Other than that I agree 100% on your design.

Dystify

I love how actually, everyone imagining things with the NX kinda drop this. It' like it's always an obstacle to any view you have of the console. You're like "there would be this and that, so cool.. but wait, those fucking detachable controllers.. how can that shit works..."

Everyone is secretly hoping Eurogamer was wrong. I personally fear this is the thing Nintendo needs to conquer the casual market, and it's going to potentially ruin what could have been something simple and efficient for us.

I'm not sure if it's hoping Eurogamer was wrong, but fear that Nintendo will get it wrong and make it look unappealing (for example the Wii U gamepad looks very toyish). Another point is, like you said, that people can't imagine how detachable controllers could ever work, so they automatically dismiss it as something bad (like how people instinctively fear the unknown). It's really up to Nintendo now to prove everyone they can make this thing look great. It's personally my biggest fear right now too, as I was rather disappointed with the Wii U gamepad and the OG 3DS.

If there's one thing that could lead to NX failing it's the design of the machine and not the specs, in my opinion. (Even though the specs seem to be what most people are talking about...)

I get the feeling that the key is going to be that each segment of the handheld is going to be a self-contained controller, to allow 2P out of the box. Otherwise why have it be modular at all? Why not just make the handheld the system and have some "breakout box" that lets you play Wii U style?

Keyouta

I like your mockup but I feel like the controller parts connected to the core would have uncomfortable ergonomics. I'd much rather have a nicely put together portable like what you have shown and be able to connect it to a more pro-esque controller while docked. Though I know that's not what eurogamer talked about.

I get the feeling that the key is going to be that each segment of the handheld is going to be a self-contained controller, to allow 2P out of the box. Otherwise why have it be modular at all? Why not just make the handheld the system and have some "breakout box" that lets you play Wii U style?

My guess would be so Nintendo can create an image of this device that resonates with the mobile market. I'm not suggesting it will work, of course, but it makes sense considering the success they've already found in that space.

VanWinkle

Great concept. One question: under your concept, where is the controller "core" stored? I feel like it would be weird to just have some non-functional brick that you keep on the coffee table.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
This is my mock-up. First of all the upper part/main unit...

nxtablet2.png

... and the diagram of the upper part:

nxdiagramasuperiorb.png

The upper part can be connected to the dock for the same experience than a home console:

consoladock.png

The expansion port in bottom is like the bottom port of the Wii U Gamepad:

gamepadport.jpg

You can plug the main unit to the dock... you can see how it works in the next diagram:

consoladock.png

The bottom part? Well... Front of the bottom part:

nxinferiormockup.png

Back of the bottom part:

wii_-u_gamepad_backside.jpg

You can use the bottom part as a normal gamepad for the home console mode...

nxdiagramainferior.png

... or you can plug it into the expansion port of the main unit to make a handheld console:

nxportatil.png

In handheld mode the console should look like this:

captura.png

This is all.

Great concept. One question: under your concept, where is the controller "core" stored? I feel like it would be weird to just have some non-functional brick that you keep on the coffee table.

It would sit in the base station to be charged. Sorry, I meant to state that in my post.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I still dont understand why the controller has to be detachable

For the growth of the gaming industry. For NX. In an industry where you create to amuse and entertain, do you sense a crisis about the industry's continuing regression of excitement and new stimulation?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Their previous experience with split controllers (aka wiimote + nunchuck) was already great, one of the best set up ever created to me, so I hope they will be able to actually deliver

Paul Gale

Hello fellow Gaffers! I don't usually make threads like this, but I thought it'd be fun to show off a bit of my creativity, and maybe inspire others to share theirs.

After Eurogamer's NX rumors last week, I've been racking my brain trying to visualize this damn thing. What better way to do that than to design the system myself, right? Unfortunately I don't have access to Adobe software, so I made this in Paint. I spent a fair bit of my free time last week on this, so I hope you all like it. Feel free to share your thoughts and any designs you might want to show off as well. With an official reveal looming on the horizon, the fun won't last forever, so let's see what you got!

Before I get to my design, I just want to clarify a few things about it.

First of all, I couldn't figure a way to incorporate detachable, working controllers into it, so I opted for a tablet---which I refer to as a slate---model with detachable controller pieces that can connect to a "controller core." This creates a single, fully functioning controller that can sync up to the docking station that connects the slate to the television. The idea was that all features like gyro controls, the battery, the NFC and wireless functionality would be in a single unit, so the right and left controller pieces only contained the buttons, sticks, scroll wheels and rumble motors, which are powered by the core. This seemed like the most cost effective way to do this, as additional controllers, containing the core, left and right pieces, could be sold separately as a single unit for about the same price as other controllers on the market.

The second thing I wanted to clarify are the proportions. I designed everything with a 6" screen in mind. The sticks, triggers, and D-pad are supposed to be identical in size to the ones featured on the Wii U gamepad, while the face buttons are only slightly larger than those featured on the 3DS XL. The width of the full controller unit is about the same as a NES controller, so while compact, it should fit comfortably in most hands.

Finally I just want to list off a few things I had in mind about the device's specifications and functionality.

-The slate features a 6" capacitive touch screen with a 540p resolution for simple scaling from console mode's 1080p.

-The slate features front and rear facing cameras, a microphone, NFC functionality and gyro controls.

-The control piece's L and R buttons are also scroll wheels.

-The slate sits in the docking station at a slight angle and can display rudimentary images and data when in console or sleep mode.

-The docking station does increase computing power slightly to optimize for gaming on the TV---1080p, 5.1 Linear PCM audio, etc.

-The slate features flash memory that can be expanded via the SD card slot.

-Memory on the base station can also be expanded via the USB slots.

-The power and home buttons have been combined.

-The controller core can be set in the base station and charged when not used.

-Not pictured in my design are a volume slider, a mic/headphone jack and a wireless switch, all on the top and bottom portions of the slate.

Yes, the Gamecube controller adapter works with the base station!

kaZldH5.jpg

https://youtu.be/yXn8VuC7QIU

Here are some possible logo/controller configurations I came up with. It's been really cool by the way, seeing everyone's efforts. From the very funny to the "potentially close". Good work!

Effect

kaZldH5.jpg

Very nice. Your design is largely how I pretty much pictured this turning out from the rumors have described things. Especially the core unit for the controller that the two sides connect to to make a full sided controller. You'd have to have something like that. I don't believe for a second that a base unit, if this is how the system turns, doesn't have some computing power to it. It would have to. I've also liked the idea that when docked the system tech will run at higher speeds due to getting more power.

MDave

Ah, detachable controller parts. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, confusing the average joe when he/she opens the box and sees all the bits and is like "I have to build this thing?".

Probably a fun idea for kids though.

Detachable, wireless controllers from the main unit seems like when its put together, it would have a total of 3 batteries. One for each part of the detachable controller, and a larger one for the main unit with the screen. Wouldn't that be kinda expensive, and heavy?

Having a middle section the detachable controllers can attach to, to give it a Wii U Pro controller look and feel is even more parts, more confusing again for average joe. More pieces to lose down the sofa or around the living room!

For the organised gamer, this is neat though.

Maybe Nintendo heard the complaints about not being able to use a 2nd Wii U Gamepad for the Wii U, or even being able to buy one in the shops. So they thought "Right! That is where we failed! Lets split the controller up so the 2nd player can play on the same unit too!"

Have fun playing anything that doesn't need dual shoulder buttons or dual analog sticks for local 2 player :p

G.ZZZ

The OP design is the only good design here

? Mine is way better, less prone to breaking or losing parts and actually include 2 fully usable controllers like EG said. OP is amazing to look at but like all other mockups it doesn't have the two fully functional controllers that apparently are there and detach from the sides, plus way too many parts that confuse the average user

TheMink

? Mine is way better, less prone to breaking or losing parts and actually include 2 fully usable controllers like EG said. OP is amazing to look at but like all other mockups it doesn't have the two fully functional controllers that apparently are there and detach from the sides, plus way too many parts that confuse the average user

But yours lacks 1 fully functioning controller. Where is the second analog stick?

Stopdoor

Man, I feel like there must be an ergonomic reason we've never had a literal square controller. It can't be a good thing.

G.ZZZ

But yours lacks 1 fully functioning controller. Where is the second analog stick?

Welcome to handheld gaming. That said there still space for a second stick on the right side, but if we're talking of controllers for gaming on the go they could easily go for a 3ds like setup

Top Bottom