• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall sold 7 million, expecting 9-10 million for Titanfall 2, 15M for BF1

bombshell

Mike Olson - Piper Jaffray & Co. - Analyst

I had two questions. You mentioned earlier that you haven't changed your assumptions that are built into guidance for Battlefield 1 and Titanfall
2. I don't recall if you provided what kind of unit expectations you have for those titles. Is that something that you would be willing to share, or
share again if you have already talked about it?

Blake Jorgensen - Electronic Arts Inc. - CFO

So, on the guidance, we talked rough numbers with people. We told people that typically a Battlefield title is about [15 million] in a year. Our
guidance is slightly under that. And we hope that that excitement builds and it will clearly go through that number, but for right now, it's slightly
under that number.
And Titanfall did a little more than 7 million units last time. It was early in the cycle and one of the few titles out there. We think it will do more than
that, but it's probably closer to 10 million than it is to 15 million is built into our guidance. So closer to 9 million to 10 million on Titanfall
and just
under 15 million on Battlefield 1.

Source: Transcript of the EA Q1 2017 earnings call here: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...3C36B8C6E0/EA-Transcript-2016-08-02T21_00.pdf

Previously Vince Zampella had this vague 10 million tweet about Titanfall, which we now know (and most assumed) was talking about unique players instead of unit sales: https://twitter.com/vincezampella/status/650096789979205632

Hesemonni

Banned
Should do that "easily" given the multiplatform nature of the sequel. Assuming they don't totally fuck things up.

sounds pretty low for a game that will available on an additional platform compared to its predecessor. Granted, they're up against more established franchises now than before. They really messed up by making the first one exclusive.

Titanfall was a surprisingly decent game. I won't have any problem waiting for the sequel to come out on EA Access though - just like the first one.

I know were counting PS4 in this equation but Witcher 3 sold better, given how hyped Titanfall was and that makes me happy not that I hate Titanfall but that a Single player RPG sold better that a multiplayer only game makes me fell better.

Angel_DvA

I think they should lower their expectations, especially with the game releasing in a packed month and with direct competitors like Gears Of War or Battlefield 1, COD 4 R etc...

I bet it'll be cheap as fuck before December.

Flintty

sounds pretty low for a game that will available on an additional platform compared to its predecessor. Granted, they're up against more established franchises now than before. They really messed up by making the first one exclusive.

This again? The reason for exclusivity is well documented - you should have a read.

7 million isn't too bad considering the exclusivity and it's a new franchise (I don't doubt they expected more though). It's a good start for exposure, fingers crossed the sequel will smash it. Respawn deserve success.

Maximo

It releases a week before Battlefield 1 then 2 weeks before Call Of Duty, the game would have been a safe sell any other month but releasing it next to those Juggernauts...I won't be surprised if it sells the same as or less then Titanfall 1.

Neonep

Titanfall 2 won't sell that much especially considering the time it's dropping. There can only be so many of those games at one. Can't wait for these types of games to decline.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i would hope it would see more since its multi-platform now...but i still feel like its going to do worse than the original. it doesn't have the hype from the first time around

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
To be honest, think it won't reach the target. I think the hype for titanfall is considerably less now than in the beginning of the cycle.

I know were counting PS4 in this equation but Witcher 3 sold better, given how hyped Titanfall was and that makes me happy not that I hate Titanfall but that a Single player RPG sold better that a multiplayer only game makes me fell better.

lmao really? titanfall required a fraction of the dev time and money that witcher did, and sold a ton with only one current gen console... Even if most of the sales were at cheaper prices, titanfall was a much better business venture, especially for respawn and EA who were backed by microsoft dollars.

Donos

Looking forward to TF2 but the game had massive sales (as low as 5 or 10 $/€ i think) for a long time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This would definitely be their best selling new IP then, which is one of the things Vince previously implied.

im_dany

Titanfall 2 won't sell that much especially considering the time it's dropping. There can only be so many of those games at one. Can't wait for these types of games to decline.

"these type of games"? Are you trying to say Titanfall is like COD or Battlefield? Because they're much different.

If you meant "multiplayer shooters" then you're going to wait for a long time before they decline.

IvanJ

Banned
Can't wait to add one sale to the BF1 tally. Well, I can wait enough not to pay extra $20 to play three days earlier :) I really like what I see, they really proved me wrong in thinking WW1 setting might be boring. I actually prefer it to the futuristic direction other MP shooters are pursuing.

No interest in TF2 at all, but I hope they do well.

rainz

Awesome.
Glad to see all the bomba stuff was basically fud as expected..
Shame it didn't do so well on pc but was quite a tough place to launch a new multiplayer only IP at the time..

AHA-Lambda

Well 7m is more than I expected after so many bomba calls
I expected more than 15m for BF1 actually!

I just still don't understand why EA would put TF2 and BF1 back to back, seems a bad idea to me but let's see how it goes.

Interestingly, both those together would be 25m, probably more than CoD. Is this what EA is trying to angle?

Edit: wait just reread OP, they see BF1 tracking under a typical BF title?? What?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well 7m is more than I expected after so many bombs calls
I expected more than 15m for BF1 actually!

I just still don't understand why EA would put TF2 and BF1 back to back, seems a bad idea to me but let's see how it goes.

Interestingly, both those together would be 25m, probably more than CoD. Is this what EA is trying to angle?

Edit: wait just reread OP, they see BF1 tracking under a typical BF title?? What?
EA usually starts their expectations a bit lower and then raises them as we enter the primary pre-ordering season.

For example, Battlefront's expectations started at 9 million and were moved up to 13 million by launch as they felt good that the early demand they were seeing was manifesting in actual pre-orders and purchase intent.

If we turn the hands of time back 5-8 years, EA would frequently get burnt by predicting way too high and then having to adjust down, so now they project low and raise expectations so their message is always positive instead.

Pretty such people on here were claiming it did over 12 million lol.

I'd love to see the destiny numbers. '20 million unique players'

EmiPrime

Titanfall dropped in price very quickly in the UK so it was a bit of a flop. Even today it's one of the cheapest current gen games you can buy second hand (other than out of date sports games) so it was traded in en masse. Not having any good single player content was a mistake.

Liamario

Banned
7m copies including EA Access? That number doesn't sound right based on the lack of people playing the game.

KingBroly

Banned
Good number and atleast we can deconfirm that 10 million figure a while back.

That was players, not sales. Pure PR twisting.

I think TF2's going to struggle with that number depending on how good the other MP games are this fall. It's coming out after all of them as well, so it's going to be hard for it to pickup sales.

EGM1966

7 million sounds about right. A lot of that would have been low price or via EA Access Vault so I believe it would be mistake to assume huge hit with 7 million full price sales.

That said the game clearly made a profit and got decent reviews and made enough of a splash to garner good interest for a better sequel.

It ended up on a platform that was less popular globally, but that couldn't have been predicted ahead of time (probably the opposite seemed a safe bet at least for US/UK) and ultimately it seems the game needed the additional support of a backer to get it out the door at all.

The development wasn't smooth though by all I've read and mistakes around the IP were definitely made (from choosing Source engine to enable easy porting to PS platforms that were then skipped to not working well enough with EA on funding and content creation).

I'm expecting TitanFall 2 to target most of those and with the game hitting both PS4 and XB1 (S) this time around it should do comfortably better. And by better I mean see more sales at full price or close to it and the IP making a more sustainable impression vs what ultimately was a front loaded community and brand awareness situation.

Interesting to muse how it would have fared if they'd been able to deliver more content (a real issue with the game at launch) including an SP campaign to give the setting context and if development had properly targeted a full multi-platform release (which EA should really have worked with Respawn and other partners to achieve). But that's all "what if" now.

AHA-Lambda

So if we assume that 7m figure is boosted by EA Access and deep discount copies, how can they be so confident of 10m for the sequel? :/

EA usually starts their expectations a bit lower and then raises them as we enter the primary pre-ordering season.

For example, Battlefront's expectations started at 9 million and were moved up to 13 million by launch as they felt good that the early demand they were seeing was manifesting in actual pre-orders and purchase intent.

If we turn the hands of time back 5-8 years, EA would frequently get burnt by predicting way too high and then having to adjust down, so now they project low and raise expectations so their message is always positive instead.

Ah I see, thanks :)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hey, 7 million was my guess as well. :D

9-10 million for Titanfall 2? I guess they mean in the FY, so by end of March 2017. Seem about right.

Top Bottom