• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

It's not just DS4 owners having all the fun.

JfKQQjY.png

Seemingly it's registering as 2 controllers and many games are broken including Steam Big Picture.

Half the games I'm playing don't work properly, Dragon's Dogma being the most irritating.

Oh and the controller will disconnect shortly after connecting, until you re-sync (press dongle button, power on controller, press controller sync quickly)

UPDATE: Roll back the driver as per the instructions here (I wouldn't recommend re-applying the current driver though)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212667831&postcount=237

If the old driver isn't listed, you can retrieve one from the Microsoft Update Catalogue

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212640021&postcount=210

Kysen

I was using my wireless x1 controller fine yesterday on my SP4. Drivers are working fine for me in steam as well.

my xbox 360 controller with wireless dongle still has issues ever since the beginning of the year, after connecting a controller and disconnecting it windows 10 will have issues with some software causing slowdowns, frame drops and even crashes. I know this because i'm developing a game and if I disconnect my controller all hell breaks loose.

And it was never like this until early this year, they balls up their drivers.

Vuze

Just confirmed this.
WTF even Microsoft, wasn't uninstalling all my peripheral drivers (3DS capture card, SD reader, your OWN Xbox wireless adapter of all things...) enough

Have you updated the controller firmware? A friend of mine had to do it after installing the update, or they wouldn't work.
The app didn't prompt me, just tried.

Dsyndrome

Workaround should be the same if it's having the same HID issue; go to Device manager, cycle the HID associated with the Bluetooth or wired controller (whichever one you're using) and exclusive mode should work then.

PhaZZe

Banned
Mmm weird, i only have one
i have the wireless dongle and when i put via USB still one controller in BPM

EDIT: Only USB show two, wireless show one. Still works perfect!

im playing FF 7 steam version and 0 problems.

I already have my controller firmware updated because i use the chatpad
i use Controller Companion too.
try a reboot?

Lazaro

XB1 pad working fine here. Steam BPM registers the device twice for some reason, but otherwise my games work fine.

How do you do this plz?

Look for the Xbox Accessories app on the Windows Store. That should allow you to update I think.

Sky87

Works fine for me. Did you not get this after updating to Anniversary and plugging in the controller afterward? Latest driver is 10.0.14393.0 according to Device Manager.

7eCDzWm.png

Gestault

Wired is still working normally for me, but I don't have a wireless receiver to test that. I'm wondering what the scope of the issue is.

Edit: Just double-checked, and Big Picture is working same as usual.

watership

Mine is working. I just gave my dad one of my Xbox One controllers and it works wired on his laptop which has anniversary update. Seems like it's not across the board.

Works fine for me. Did you not get this after updating to Anniversary and plugging in the controller afterward? Latest driver is 10.0.14393.0 according to Device Manager.

7eCDzWm.png
That didn't pop up, no. Checking that screen I can see the Xbox driver was updated today. It doesn't even appear in the device manager anymore, even with show hidden ticked.

EDIT. Actually, it does appear, with that same version.

Working fine for me; just tested it.

Sort of un-related, but don't have Daemon tools installed when you do the update. I just did it and my PC kept spamming notifications saying "This app can't run on your pc" with Daemon tools being the app. Kept freezing my pc everytime I tried to uninstall it too. Finally just deleted the folder and things are back to normal.

Sky87

That didn't pop up, no. Checking that screen I can see the Xbox driver was updated today. It doesn't even appear in the device manager anymore, even with show hidden ticked.

Are your controller connected and turned on? It has to be, in order to show up under Device Manager.

My elite controller works fine (wirelessly) after the update.

My lunar white would disconnect immediately and I couldn't figure out why. Thought my battery had died until I tried to re-sync. Now that works fine as well.

ktroopa

XB1 pad working fine here. Steam BPM registers the device twice for some reason, but otherwise my games work fine.

Look for the Xbox Accessories app on the Windows Store. That should allow you to update I think.

Ive just updated via the win 10 app. Wireless works fine in steam but i am seeing two xinput controllers detected ala OP. I guess a steam update will fix that

Are your controller connected and turned on? It has to be, in order to show up under Device Manager.
If I connect it wirelessly, it doesn't seem to appear in the device manager. Connect it wired and I get

USB INPUT DEVICE
XINPUT HID DEVICE

Blam

Is there going to be a new thread for every broken thing about an update? That only affects a small portion of users.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is there going to be a new thread for every broken thing about an update? That only affects a small portion of users.

Why shouldn't there be?

derExperte

Can't confirm, Anniversary actually fixed broken Unity games and a couple of other issues for me. Don't own Dragon's Dogma though, will try more games over the weekend.

The app didn't prompt me, just tried.

Might only work if connected with cable. Another option for general problems is uninstalling the driver in the device manager.

Weird, here's how it looks for me http://i.imgur.com/msvVTvo.png

I'm using one of the old original controllers wired.
I now see it under Human Interface Devices as;

USB Input Device (the dongle)
Xbox One Wireless Controller

Still registering as 2 controllers in Steam. Dragons Dogma registers 2 controllers also. When you press some buttons, the UI shows Xbox prompts, others it reverts to generic 1/2/3 etc.

I'm fairly sure anyone seeing double controller in Steam BPM will also have problems with certain games.

scitek

Controllers are pretty essential to playing games, so I can see the justification for this one.

Top Bottom