• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept art found for Carl Barks-esque Donald Duck game circa 2012

TimmiT

TaLSq7j.jpg
This week I'm offering a really beautiful pair of fully rendered watercolor and ink 15" by 10" pieces in two auctions. The two pieces are both from a 2012 unnamed gaming project for WALT DISNEY and feature DONALD and his NEPHEWS, Huey Dewey and Louie as they gather up junk in the DUCKBURG dump to bring to GYRO GEARLOOSE so he can invent a newer, better vehicle for them to get around town in.

The two piece match in size at 15" by 10" and would look great together. Both feature DONALD prominently.

THIS AUCTION features a fantastic, huge image of DONALD in the Duckburg Dump. Patrick pulled the image of the dump from one of Carl Bark's classic stories. One of the features of the game design was to portray Bark's Duckburg for the player to walk around in and explore.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142078479371

THIS AUCTION features four fantastic VIGNETTES as Donald has car troubles, goes to Gyro Gearloose with his problems, and Gyro has Donald travel to the local Duckburg Dump to round up parts for various flying versions of his junky ol' red 313. We have an image of Don's broken down car, Gyro and Donald in Gyro's lab, plans for a car/glider/airship, and a great scene of Donald flying over Duckburg in a fire powered dirigible car!

All on one page!

These ideas were painted as CONCEPT ARTWORK for a Disney game- given to the computer artists for inspiration. Everything is presented in a very Carl Bark's inspired Duckburg....and the idea was that players of the game could role play being Donald and walking and driving about scenic Duckburg. The art measures 15" by 10" and matches my other auction running this week!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142078499363

These eBay listings were found by Frank Cifaldi. I loved the Carl Barks Duck comics as a kid so really disappointing to see that this didn't get made.

EDIT: Actually just noticed that the eBay descriptions don't mention Junction Point so not sure if this would have been made by them. Though considering that this would have been Warren Spector's dream game, it most likely was.

Nerix

The art looks nice, would like to have a new Donald game - always liked the comics as a kid, still have lots of them in my basement

Platy

Well, if Disney have money to throw around and not worry about it, why don't they hire the team behind Cuphead?

Nothing in the OP mentions anything close to Disney having money to throw around ... if anything, cancelling a Donald Duck GTA game would mean that they DON'T have money to trow around =P

Also, disney probably already have better animations if they wanted

Zubz

Banned
I just have to think of how much Epic Mickey went from its concept art to the game we got. Otherwise, I'll just get sad. This art is lovely, and the idea of a Barks-style Duck game seems unbelievable fun!

Besides, the asshole "Scrapper" Mickey mechanic that got cut from EM can come back as a mechanic for Donald. If anything, a heroic Donald is the one Disney execs would get pissy about!

... I really want to not be disappointed, but even with EM in mind, it's hard.

Richie

"Concept art for Carl-Barks-esque Donald Duck game...

HOLY HELL YEEESS--

...by Junction Point found." Thus, not happening.*

</3

This is what it feels to fall in love and have your heart broken within ten seconds :(

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Really bummed that Disney didn't keep Junction Point around. I loved both Epic Mickey titles and I'd love more Disney 3D Platformers.

Ridley327

Goddamn, this could've been amazing.

If it was being made by someone other than Junction Point, maybe.

Even if you took away the original concept art angle, the Epic Mickey games were immensely subpar given the talent and IP it had to work with.

Bakkus

WHAT!? I never knew this existed. His Donald Duck stories are legendary. Would have bought this day 1. :(

Richie

I especially love that you were going to use adjusted versions of good 'ole 313 no matter if you traveled by air, road or water. Aaaah maaaaaan the punch of what could have been really hurts with this one.

Now I'll be imagining a No Duck's Sky where you're free to explore the likes of Plain Awful and the Seven Cities of Cibola.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Actually, I wouldn't be so sure that Junction Point would have done a good job. Warren Spector did a run of the Ducktales comic and...I've read a lot of Barks/Rosa comics, and a lot of the bad stuff from Jamie Diaz, but even the most bombcastic reviews may be correct in saying it's the worst Disney comic of all time.

WitlbR5.png

Erm yeah.

If it was being made by someone other than Junction Point, maybe.

Even if you took away the original concept art angle, the Epic Mickey games were immensely subpar given the talent and IP it had to work with.

This is tru, the funny thing is, if they had iron every problem Epic Mickey 1 had snead of forcing a shitty coop game with even more problems, it could have been something great.

Don't forget the hotness of Maui Mallard and that hot Michael Giacchino score

Giacchino, the man who should have done the OST for Epic Mickey, not the fucking guy from pushing daisies (the only good thing he did was the main theme, and even then Im sure Giacchino's main theme would have wiped his ass, and is a man that came from composing videogames FFS).
He was perfect to tribute 50 years of Disneyland music history (and he is even part of that history being the composer of Space Mountain, or what about Tomorrowland movie having that 50's space era disneyland tones), but nooooo, the pushing daisies guy wanted to do his own mediocre thing. Disneyland music? whats that? He said he hadnt step on disneyland before the job!!!!
Same with Godzilla. here you have the guy who composed an 18 minute tribute masterpiece to the series in the credits of Cloverfield, and you get a man that
1. Haven't had touch a monster movie in his whole life
2. Actually hated monster movies.

Saw these yesterday when Frank posted them on Twitter. Weird for this to pop up on eBay of all places.

I didn't realize these were from 2012 at first and my brain was trying to rectify that with the fact that they look like they're from the 1930s-40s.

TimmiT

Confirmation that this game was being made by Junction Point/Warren Spector as a follow-up to the Epic Mickey games:
Greetings!

Walt Disney comic and gaming conceptual artist Pat Block here.

In 2012 I had the very great pleasure and honor of working with Warren Spector and Junction Point on a follow up to Disney's Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey II.

The game was to feature Donald Duck, Duckburg, and the assorted classic world clan. I worked hard on a "Carl Barks" based Duckburg, puling scenes of the town from his comics and doing my best to keep a 1950's feeling spirit about the game world.

Sadly, this was about the time Disney decided to switch over to it's current gaming, more tablet oriented gaming focus.

While we were fully paid for our conceptual work on the project, to date, it has not been made.

With the new DuckTales project in the works, I have hopes we still might see the game, with some of our work, get made.

I hope this helps!
Very best, and thanks for the interest in our duck stuff.

Patrick
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/epic-donald-sequel-to-epic-mickey-series.62755/

casiopao

Uukh i am sad now.T_T Can't Disney just look for other devs like Travelers Tale to develop this game here.T_T They had the experience to develop cartonny open world game title, i sure this won't be a worst project vs Epic Mickey here.

Top Bottom