• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Network Play twitter campaign for PS4/XBOXONE/PC (also a wall of text about it)

Yudoken

I think it's time to do it now.
It's the 15th august 2016 and Rocket League still couldn't update their game and PS4 and Xbox One players are still separated.

I've collected the most relevant twitter handles from Sony and MS and made a tweet to ask them to allow Psyonix full Xplay between all platforms.

If we get them allowing xplay with Rocket League then every other game in the future has a chance to unite the player base.

Rocket League

Psyonix Studios

Sony Playstation

Shuhei Yoshida - President of Worldwide Studios, Sony Interactive Entertainment

Microsoft

Phil Spencer = Head of Xbox

I posted a tweet, maybe if we can get enough attention about this subject we could encourage them to communicate with Psyonix and finally give them permission to do the update.

https://twitter.com/Bountykiller22/status/764953242941943810

#unitegamers (idea from SOR5)

F8zWXIM.jpg

Also for those who are concerned that the other platforms are going to hurt your experience, there is always an option to disable xplay.

AIpjb5p.jpg

Also here's a summary what is and was going on with Xplay in this console generation.
Took a bit longer than anticipated but here it is!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before 2015 there was no chance for Xplay (''Cross-Network Play'') between PS4, Xbox One and PC.
Back than there were games that worked (or soon to be work) Xplay between PC and console like SF V/Rocket League with PS4 and soon to be Killer Instinct with Xbox One.

But when Rocket League got announced for Xbox One on the 03.12.2015 people got excited not only on Xbox One, players on PS4 and PC asked Psyonix if there is a chance that everyone can play together and got an answer on twitter which was quite disappointing.

1Q3kZWO.jpg

When the game launched on Xbox One gamers were quickly began to realize on Xbox One that there are just not enough players to fill all game modes with enough players and their community was kinda separated.
They also needed special care for the future updates from the devs, getting new modes later than the PS4/PC version.
People complained about MS and it got to the point that MS ''flipped the switch'' and announced what everyone was waiting at the GDC.

xsnHzpE.jpg

Chris Charla Director of ID@Xbox posted ''a letter'' on March 14, 2016 where they announced what all players were waiting for, MS loosened up their policies and allowed ''Cross-Network Play'' with every network with this statement.

''We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.''

6EDmXW1.jpg

Sony responded that they "...would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

Sony was very supportive with with PC in the recent years and even back than on the PS3 the made on of the biggest games from Valve ''Portal 2'' Xplay with pc in the coop campaign and there even plans for CS GO Xplay with pc with mouse and keyboard on PS3 (which weren't realized but that's another story).
Two months later in May 24, 2016, the long awaited update came out on all platforms but the major change was that PC players now can play either with PS4 or Xbox One players.

Now people were excited but asked why it's not full Xplay yet and got an answer on gaf from one of the devs:

There is no additional work required to enable full cross play. It's a policy thing at this point. The build we're patching in today has all the tech required for any platform to play with any other.

Basically saying that Sony needs to give them permission to update the game which enables the game for full Xplay between each other with no restrictions.

And now it's getting a bit frustrating, there is no response from either party about the situation and if I got it right Sony is the one who's not giving them permission to do it.

Meanwhile Tekken 7 got showed at E3 with a short but long awaited pc announcement which has the potential for full Xplay between all three announced platforms.
Fighting games especially need a large player pool for different skills, regions, pings and smaller player base and in an interview Tekken chief producer Katsuhiro Harada stated that it's not too difficult to implement and they're already looking into it.

The future of Xplay games is endless, all genres are going to profit from this even if you dislike the idea playing with a different platform you can still turn it off in the options (all Xplay games currently have an option for that).

In my personal opinion pc players should be allowed Xplay in games like Overwatch too if they're playing with gamepad (xinput and basic anti cheat detection should be enough to ensure a smooth game).

That also means that pc players need an option to play with gamepad Xplay in shooters or with other pc players with mouse and keyboard.

That's basically it, everyone would have a fair game with a big united player base.

Especially smaller games would heavily profit from this, there are many games that just don't have enough players after a while and that's really disappointing.

I hope you enjoyed reading this through, hopefully we can play together and against each other in the near future without relying to buy a different platform.
3rd party games shouldn't be restricted to separated their players with each other.
Being able to choose your preferred platform and play a game full of different players is a real ''next gen'' feature I was looking forward to and we could get that in the near future.

If there are any errors or important events you can of course write them down and I will check it out when I'm on my pc

Thanks for reading!

SOR5

A really good cause I support OP

but the number one rule for a viral initiative is a catchy hashtag like #unitegamers or something

ElfArmy177

I wish.. but it will never happen. No amount of bitching, moaning, petitions, forums, posts or anything else is going to allow PlayStation and Xbox users to play together. Microsoft is ok with it because they are getting rolled in the console race. Sony user base doesn't need more players so Sony doesn't give a damn... I wish ya luck though :) I hope it happens.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
#passtheballsony

I wish.. but it will never happen. No amount of bitching, moaning, petitions, forums, posts or anything else is going to allow PlayStation and Xbox users to play together. Microsoft is ok with it because they are getting rolled in the console race. Sony user base doesn't need more players so Sony doesn't give a damn... I wish ya luck though :) I hope it happens.

This line of thinking still makes zero sense to me. Sony gains from allowing this. They don't lose anything.

Yudoken

It's not like you're going to be able to party up with your friends, it would all be random anyway.

It doesn't matter, bigger player pools are better!

Also I add people on Whatsapp and play against or with them in a private lobby in Street Fighter V and Rocket League.

This is the first step to get it, maybe in the near future games will have a good way to communicate with the other platform (Street Fighter V's friendlist is at least a approach but can be improved heavily).

Nzyme32

Pointless to me, since we know that MS have "opened up" to the idea, and Valve will generally support anything like this, while Sony are staying quiet for now with what appears to be a maybe.

I don't think any petition or campaign will have an effect on what Sony will look at purely from a business perspective, particularly concerning them and Microsoft. But hey, more power to you if want to push for answers

jbug617

Banned
Adam Boyes on the last Bombcast said basically to try that. He feels that Sony would listen to their fans. Brought up the example of the always online twitter campaign.

He also said he wasn't sure how this will all work but it's probably something the devs have to do for themselves.

Takao

Banned
This line of thinking still makes zero sense to me. Sony gains from allowing this. They don't lose anything.

They don't? One of the biggest selling points for buying a console is being able to play with your friends. Sony has the userbase advantage, which means they'd likely win out on purchases bought for that reason ("All my friends own a PS4, so I might as well grab one to play CoD with them."). Allowing cross-platform play with the Xbox machines means Sony loses that snowball effect, and in fact gives Microsoft a number of advantages due to their aggressiveness in pricing and upcoming stronger hardware.

Not being able to play with everyone sucks for the end consumer, but it's not a bad idea for business.

Should probably listen to the latest Giant Bombcast. It sheds light on how this really doesn't benefit anyone. You're going to be trading a seamless experience for something pretty generic. It's not very likely that they'll be able to integrate friends lists from 3 different networks. You'll be playing against randoms and who needs that unless the online population on one network is dead. Alternatively, you'll be creating a network ID for a specific game rather than having it travel across multiple games.

Yudoken

Should probably listen to the latest Giant Bombcast. It sheds light on how this really doesn't benefit anyone. You're going to be trading a seamless experience for something pretty generic. It's not very likely that they'll be able to integrate friends lists from 3 different networks. You'll be playing against randoms and who needs that unless the online population on one network is dead. Alternatively, you'll be creating a network ID for a specific game rather than having it travel across multiple games.

Like Street Fighter V?
I'm ok with that.
Doesn't bother me at all personally.

Even if you don't ''believe'' it it would be great if you just retweet the tweet.

Let's at least try to get a response, what could go wrong?

Flux

#All4One might work

Good one. More clever than #ballsinsony

Microsoft is open to the idea, mostly with Win10-Xbox for console to PC. PC is pretty much always open and Valve wanted to push the idea last gen. Nintendo just trying to get their online infrastructure up for now. Sony has the marketshare, and if anything I would imagine more connectivity = more PS+ (or Gold) subscribers so its win-win

SOR5

No Sony gains nothing from this. Their PS4 userbase is at least twice as big as XB1's

Sony loses nothing either, user bases will increase across the board but the consoles wont be so integrated to the point you can choose whatever network you want.

Christ every time this subject comes up and there's people chomping cigars and being more concerned about company pie charts instead of their own experience as a consumer.

Alucrid

Banned
In my personal opinion pc players should be allowed Xplay in games like Overwatch too if they're playing with gamepad (xinput and basic anti cheat detection should be enough to ensure a smooth game).

no thanks i don't want to play with speedybluedude. will not support.

also console and pc versions are balanced separately. will never happen.

RPGam3r

Sony loses nothing either, user bases will increase across the board but the consoles wont be so integrated to the point you can choose whatever network you want.

Christ every time this subject comes up and there's people chomping cigars and being more concerned about company pie charts instead of their own experience as a consumer.

Well if you're in the Sony camp, a bigger pie for Sony probably means more for you being in that camp.

farisr

Sony loses nothing either
While I want cross play, Sony definitely loses something. Right now, Sony has the advantage in terms of online population/activity. People look for that when deciding on going for an ecosystem or console to get into. Doing this hurts their potential sales and is getting rid of an advantage they currently have. Plain and simple.

Kalentan

Odds are this will never happen until Exclusive DLC goes away. Why would Sony connect servers when they know they can get Exclusive DLC or Timed Exclusive and get people to buy their version.

Sweep14

Has your experience ever been once diminished by a lack of players in a pool ? Personnaly I never encountered this situation. I could understand the need of such action if the lack of online players was a problem. But I don't think it's the case at all

While I want cross play, Sony definitely loses something. Right now, Sony has the advantage in terms of online population/activity. People look for that when deciding on going for an ecosystem or console to get into. Doing this hurts their potential sales and is getting rid of an advantage they currently have. Plain and simple.

How does Sony lose something?

They support cross play with PC just like MS do. They just not supporting Xbox live. So what have they lost? Is this going to make you go pick up a Xbox? No.

Yudoken

no thanks i don't want to play with speedybluedude. will not support.

also console and pc versions are balanced separately. will never happen.

This is for Rocket League which has none of the issues.
Don't forget you can always disable crossplay.

Killer Instinct, Rocket League, Street Fighter V and Portal 2 are good examples that it's working.

Guymelef

If your only gaming interest is FIFA and COD for example, let's say you have 10 friends, 9 of them with PS4 and you want to play with them, what would you buy, a 349 PS4 or a 249 XBO?

Jonnax

They support cross play with PC just like MS do. They just not supporting Xbox live. So what have they lost? Is this going to make you go pick up a Xbox? No.

Put it another way. It makes the Xbox One more valuable. Because it can gain access to a larger (double in size) user base.

farisr

It may get people to pick up an xbox one over a ps4, yes. And for people who have both consoles, it may get people to buy the xbox one version of a game over a ps4 version of the game as well.

Both ways, sony loses out on the money they would've made from console and game sales.

SOR5

If your only gaming interest is FIFA and COD for example, let's say you have 10 friends, 9 of them with PS4 and you want to play with them, what would you buy, a 349 PS4 or a 249 XBO?

Again, networks won't be integrated to the point you can choose whatever network you want

They can't party up with you, message you etc. (At least within the consoles facilities) but you get a hugely boosted user base for all games no matter where you are. If all my friends are on PS4, I'd still get that PS4, but I know whatever game I choose will always have a strong userbase in matchmaking. This is the dream for devs and good for consumers on all consoles. And just incase you're thinking, PSN doesn't have an amazingly big userbase for every one of their games.

Wagram

There really isn't any reason the communities should be separated, especially on console. This will help immensely with games that don't have an insanely large player base.

JayEH

I don't care what giant bomb says. I have friends I want to play with in Tekken 7 cross platform.

Guymelef

Again, networks won't be integrated to the point you can choose whatever network you want

And networks doesn't need to be integrated if the developer makes its own ecosystem.
Just like Capcon Fighter Network,

The next step would be EA using Origin IDs for invites in Battlefield.

quest

Not Banned from OT
And maybe even more important, they won't gain money from PSN subscriptions.

Then they should block PS4/PC cross play then right? This will cost Sony no sales and will only help developers and gamers. There are many games with low populations that would benefit from this. I am very disappointed with Sony since launch of the PS4. They have went against their 4 the gamer mantra over and over. This is just the latest example.

Yudoken

This reminds me of the #BetterPSN campaign not sure how that went

As I said there is nothing more needed than a ''ok'' from Sony and MS and it's ready to deploy as soon as the Rocket League devs want.

Sony is interested in xplay with pc and Xbox one (as I've mentioned in the text above) but they're taking way much time to answer the call.

Better PSN is really, really different.

SOR5

And networks doesn't need to be integrated if the developer makes its own ecosystem.
Just like Capcon Fighter Network,

The next step would be EA using Origin IDs for invites in Battlefield.

What? Not everyone's going to implement ID's that let PSN and Xbox Live match together and completely destroy every communication barrier, there's way too many technical reasons that can't happen. Again the sanctity and appeal of PSN being the bigger fish this time around isn't harmed.

Just having cross play like it's done on Rocket League will do wonders for everyone, there is literally no downside to this. None.

Bgamer90

Banned
It may get people to pick up an xbox one over a ps4, yes. And for people who have both consoles, it may get people to buy the xbox one version of a game over a ps4 version of the game as well.

Both ways, sony loses out on the money they would've made from console and game sales.

And maybe even more important, they won't gain money from PSN subscriptions.

Or on the flip side, more people will be attracted to PSN knowing that it has a large userbase of players that are on other platforms too. It works both ways and I honestly don't see how this can be more of a negative than a positive.

What a salient argument. I suppose I'd buy the cheaper Xbox One, in that situation! After all, if there's crossplay, I might as well!

Wait, you're telling me I can't add them as friends?
Or party up with them?
Or voice chat with them, or send them text messages?
Or stream to their consoles?
Or interact with them outside of any game at all?

I can only matchmake randomly with them?

Well, that certainly changes things! I suppose, now that I'm informed, that I'll get the PS4 instead, to play with my friends, and I'll simply enjoy the benefits of cross-play bolstering the playerbase and longevity of any applicable multiplatform game.

...so where are those downsides for Sony you mentioned, again?

This would be perfect if we could also get cross platform lobbies :(

I know that isn't happening but let's get the playerbases for all our favorite games up at least!

Top Bottom