• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero 2 demo hack reveals additional songs

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Apparently, there's a hack/patch floating around that will allow you to unlock additional songs on the NTSC version of the Guitar Hero II demo. It's unclear whether or not it's the 10 song demo found at retail or the 5 song OPM disc.

The real hotness is that one song that can be uncovered is apparently one that doesn't even appear in the final game: Quiet Riot's "Metal Health." A video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2QWN-Ktbo

Other "unlockable" songs in the demo appear to be the Trogdor track, Message in a Bottle, Freebird, and Sweet Child O' Mine. If anyone has seen this patch or knows where to get it, I'm all ears, because I have no idea.

The thought of being able to access one additional song that won't appear in the game makes my loins quiver.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
omg I want to play Freebird someone give me more info

Edit: it's for the 10 song demo version

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Here's the hack!

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2337&sid=eb8c4a8f4e18ee9fbba91e3a7224e9ec

Now I need to acquire the demo some how. I must play this today

"Who Was In My Room..." -> "Heart-Shaped Box"
"Psychobilly Freakout" -> "Sweet Child o' Mine"
"War Pigs" -> "Freebird"
"You Really Got Me" -> "Jessica"
"Strutter" -> "Crazy on You"
"John the Fisherman" -> "Killing in the Name of"
"YYZ" (unchanged)
"Shout at the Devil" -> "Laid to Rest"
"Trippin' on a Hole..." -> "Beast and the Harlot"
"Madhouse" -> "Trogdor"

2nd PPF patch on page 5 in that link:

"Who Was In My Room..." -> "Message in a Bottle"
"Psychobilly Freakout" -> "Monkey Wrench"
"War Pigs" -> "Mother"
"You Really Got Me" -> "Woman"
"Strutter" -> "Surrender"
"John the Fisherman" -> "Them Bones"
"YYZ" -> "Last Child"
"Shout at the Devil" -> "Tattoeed Love Boys"
"Trippin' on a Hole..." -> "Tonight I'm gonna..."
"Madhouse" -> "Bang Your Head"

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Yeah, I followed up on this and got some more information.

You can find all of the information here:

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2337&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=patch&start=0

It's spread across a pretty long thread, but the short version is that many songs are playable, as there are at least two patches that essentially exchange songs with others found on the disc (Monkey Wrench, Heart Shapes Box, Them Bones, etc). Essentially the demo contains 30 songs, rather than 10.

It seems like a gigantic pain in the ass to rip a demo, patch a demo, reburn and then repeat, just to play 20 more songs. But it's ****ing Guitar Hero. And I'd eat puppies to play me some Guitar Hero II.

EDIT: I see you beat me to it, Wario.

D3VI0US

Damn I need a modded PS2 bad, that's stupid awesome too bad I'll just have to wait for the final release. At least the guys at EB gave me their 10 song demo and they might give me the demo guitar too cause they don't have a PS2 kiosk.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Wario64 said:
Just make both versions and put them on hdloader :)

Co-op seems to freeze on the new songs

Without burning a disc, I don't know how to get images onto an HDLoader and if I created a disc, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to load it using HDLoader either. Yes? No? You probably know more about this stuff than I do.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
confirmed working. Playing that open riff on sweet child o mine :D . too bad the singer doesn't really sound like axl.

Ravager61

Im really curious what the guy is saying on Laid to Rest when the lyric is ****. Hes saying something, and im pretty sure it isnt ****, but I dont know what it is.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Freebird just made me cry on expert. It's incredibly easy for about two minutes, then it gets mildly hard, then it rapes your ass. Hard. I love it.

tiong_fi

Lol, just played Freebird for the 2nd time on expert and guess what... finished it pretty easily and got 4 stars. Come on, give me some harder songs! :lol

Neo_ZX

Looks like the full version will be 'out there' soon (as if the 7th wasn't soon enough)

http://culture.joystiq.com/2006/10/26/wal-mart-selling-guitar-hero-ii-early

ghiiwalmart1wj2.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
nicholasbrutal said:
Without burning a disc, I don't know how to get images onto an HDLoader and if I created a disc, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to load it using HDLoader either. Yes? No? You probably know more about this stuff than I do.

I transferred it over to HDD by connecting to to my PC. I can confirm the demo working on HDloader :)

I have my Beatmania controller connected right now and funny enough you can play it with the Beatmania controller if you play it on easy (for some reason the 4th fret button doesn't work, heh

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
haha, did any of you think: **** you, won't do as you told me x10 would go uncencored?

Guitar hero 1 was cencored as well, it's not like they sold out or anything.

But the dude singing Killing in the name of murders the song :'(

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Trogdor is hard. I tried playing it on expert at first and my wife was upset she didn't get to hear the whole song. I'm going to give all of the songs a shot tonight. Can't wait for the final game to hit shelves. Then it's just a wait for the 360 version...

On a side note, if anyone knows the story/history behind the exclusion of "Metal Health" in the final version of the game, please do tell. I wonder what other gems will appear on the final version of the game.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Brobzoid said:
haha, did any of you think: **** you, won't do as you told me x10 would go uncencored?

Guitar hero 1 was cencored as well, it's not like they sold out or anything.

But the dude singing Killing in the name of murders the song :'(

There are some pretty cringe worthy vocals on GHII. The vocalist who sang Bark at the Moon and Iron Man on GH1 totally nailed it, but whoever is singing War Pigs needs...yikes. Watch, someone will tell me it's the same vocalist.

In any case, the vocals aren't that important to me, as long as they're serviceable which in most cases they seem to be.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I thought sweet child 'o mine was pretty ok. War Pigs has nothing on the previous ozzy dude, I agree. Perhaps they actually brought in ozzy this time around :lol

but what the **** is up with freebird having like 10 solo segments in training? that's just so ****ing threatening.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Dear God...I need a practice mode for Bark at the Moon on expert. I completed it, once, by the skin of my teeth, and my wife hates me for playing it over and over again.

So seriously...a hack for this? Sweet Jesus. Links to appropriate places, please.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I can't wait for the wireless guitar......if that's relevant at all.

the game already has too many songs as it is. Hah!

Aaron

Damn, I wish they didn't have to censor Killing in the Name of. The end of the song is like half there. Couldn't they have slipped in a 'Screw You!' as a sub? Still rocks though. Can't wait for the 360 version.

Ronabo

I played around with the demo today. Hammer Ons/Pull Offs are much easier to do. I've not beaten hard mode on the first game, but I think I'll be able to do it plus alot more of expert mode on part two. Especially with the added practice mode.

I can't wait to get the full version. I hope there is a deal for it around me.

Top Bottom