• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 save files incompatible with new GOTY version, all content on disc

Vashetti

Banned
On the CD Projekt Red Forums, Community Lead Marcin Momot revealed that save files from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One won’t be compatible with the Game of the Year Edition when it releases on August 30:

"The save files on consoles won’t be compatible between different game versions (GOTY vs regular version) as they are treated by systems as separate products. This is something that’s not up to us. Sorry."

Momot also confirmed that a new Witcher 3 patch is coming, but it won’t be out before August 23. Expect a full changelog on this update closer to August 30.

Answering some questions on Twitter, Momot said everything will be on-disc in the Game of the Year Edition, the Game of the Year Edition will have a separate Trophy/Achievement list, and the Game of the Year Edition won’t have any additional content over buying the base game and Expansion Pass.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/08/15/the-witcher-3-game-of-the-year-edition-save-files/

Courage

That's kind of bizarre, why would this be different from other GOTY editions? Are there any other ones handled this way?

Caayn

Content on the disc huh? That's not something we see often anymore. It's good that everything is on the disc.

Syntsui

That's kind of bizarre, why would this be different from other GOTY editions? Are there any other ones handled this way?
This one has all the content in the disc, so it's treated as an entirely different game. Even with the trophies.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Some GOTY editions just give you a code to download the season pass. This at least is interested in preserving the game for console folk without needing patches.

Certinty

Well they just lost a sale.

Sold TW3 once I completed it and was going to get this just for the DLC alone. Now I won't bother.

Small shame about needing new saves, somewhere down the line I'd like the pick this up for the DLC and I never finished the original campaign which still has the save data lurking on my PS4.
Then again I don't mind too much, if I return to Witcher 3 in the future it's mainly just to play the DLC content anyway, they can throw you a free high level Geralt for that right?

Brizzo24

Great! This is when I jump in.

I would too, however the one thing holding me back is the combat. Truthfully, how good/bad is it, and what is it most comparable to? (Arkham, Shadow of Mordor, God of War...I really have no idea, though I enjoy the combat in all of those.) Combat is a big deal for me.

I would too, however the one thing holding me back is the combat. Truthfully, how good/bad is it, and what is it most comparable to? (Arkham, Shadow of Mordor, God of War...I really have no idea, though I enjoy the combat in all of those.) Combat is a big deal for me.

It's not as good as any of these games but it's not broken at least. It plays like a janky Batman Arkham kinda.

jediyoshi

Well they just lost a sale.

Sold TW3 once I completed it and was going to get this just for the DLC alone. Now I won't bother.

Wasn't up to them, it's not like it's some deliberate decision to separate their compatibility. Actual worst case scenario is continuing to play the DLC in its standalone mode.

LiK

i'm tempted to double dip when it's on sale cuz i played through the main story with all the garbage issues it had including a terrible inventory UI. heard they patched the shit outta it so i may consider restarting fresh. but i already bought all the DLC and haven't gotten around to them. so yea, gonna need it to be real cheap.

All content on a disc is a definite buy and I wasn't really that far into the game anyway, starting a new save doesn't bother me.

Although it sucks for people who only wants the DLC on disc.

How is this on ps4? I have vanilla PC version and got about 15 hours in. I'd like to return, and lately am loving my ps4, wondering if the port is good.

Venture

Sucks about the saves but I wouldn't mind playing through it again.

Wasn't up to them, it's not like it's some deliberate decision to separate their compatibility. Actual worst case scenario is continuing to play the DLC in its standalone mode.
I'm not understanding how it's not up to them. Bethesda has no problem doing this with their GOTYs. Or is this a new problem with PS4/Xbox One?

Mithos

Why couldn't they just read from the other versions savegame, I mean games like Mass Effect, Borderlands did, and import them to the new version..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if they've reworked it to be 60fps on Neo.

Definitely not. The game is far too CPU-heavy:

w3_proz.jpg

Considering that both games that have done this 'GOTY edition is essentially a separate game with an identical trophy list' thing are published by WB, I'm going out on a limb and saying it actually IS a deliberate decision.
As for why? Can't say for sure. Maybe they want to entice trophy whores to double dip.

Top Bottom