• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness rated for Xbox One in Europe

etta

my hard graphic balls
That's... sooner than I thought. I was under the impression it was a year-long deal.

RAWRferal

Is this game worth buying at full price? It looks good, but it seems a little overpriced at first glance. Wait for a sale?

FelipeMGM

Great news, maybe now it means they are prepparing for a release

That's... sooner than I thought. I was under the impression it was a year-long deal.

Do we know if there was a really a monetary exclusivity deal involved?

I had the impression it was because of all the things Blow thought of MS indie publishing policies (which were nothing crazy TBH)

I was under the impression that there was no monetary or term-limiting deal.
Just Blow being Blow.

Is this game worth buying at full price? It looks good, but it seems a little overpriced at first glance. Wait for a sale?

Personally, I would say wait for sale.
I personally prefer a little bit more variety in my puzzle games.

qko

Will these high profile PS4 limited exclusives be disappointed if sales don't go through the roof when ported to the XBONE?

To be honest, the hype around No Man's Sky makes me want to try it, but if it takes them a year or more to port it over I really cant guarantee I'd be as interested in paying full price for it.

I get the feeling we might see the Wii U effect with some of the "first on PS4" games where a publisher ports a game 6 months to year after release and then shrug and say there isn't a market for it (Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed, Watch Dogs, etc).

All said, if there is a discount I might try this. $40 is pretty steep for a game that's been out for almost 7 months now.

In my opinion, yes it is. It scratched my puzzle itch so damn well, and I loved every second of it. Great couch co-op game too, once the puzzles get more difficult.

I had the impression it was because of all the things Blow thought of MS indie publishing policies (which were nothing crazy TBH)

There was no money involved, Blow said. He could only launch the game on one console and got a dev kit early from Sony.

Worth every penny. An insanely clever and intricately-crafted game that will take you a good while to beat as well. Still my GOTY so far, will probably stay the course. It's so good it gave me Tetris-esque visions of line puzzles in real life.

Chobel

Not a monetary deal but there's an exclusivity deal for PS4.

A clarification about our PS4 exclusivity.

Our deal with Sony is a limited-time exclusivity that applies to competing console platforms. Basically it is that you will see the game on the PlayStation 4 for a while before you will see it on the Wii U or the rumored next Microsoft console. (We haven’t been disclosed on Microsoft’s next console, so I don’t know anything about that platform besides the rumors that are on the internet).

This exclusivity does not prevent us from being on the PC or iOS at launch, for example.

People have been speculating that we got paid for PS4 exclusivity, but that is not the case. There was no money involved.
------------------

The period of the exclusivity deal was never discussed in public, not even rumored at.

bidguy

Banned
Worth every penny. An insanely clever and intricately-crafted game that will take you a good while to beat as well. Still my GOTY so far, will probably stay the course. It's so good it gave me Tetris-esque visions of line puzzles in real life.

dont listen to this guy

if youre not into puzzle games its a waste. they are neat and the devs put some real thought in them but youre not doing anything other than solving the same puzzle in a different manner for the whole game

i liked it got my monies worth but someone who doesnt like this type of game might aswell look for something else

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It's very good and it's very long as well. Definitely worth full price but I can see how buying it this long after launch would go down easier with a discount.

Nzyme32

I would have bought it for double the price. Totally worth it if you like puzzles, thinking, exploring and art.

Playing independently without a guide, with no knowledge (or at least as little as you can) of what the game is and will explore, is where this game shines. The game attempts to riff off the moments of clarity you will get from the world and learning as you go, as it gently teaches you new ideas / concepts.

dont listen to this guy

if youre not into puzzle games its a waste. they are neat and the devs put some real thought in them but youre not doing anything other than solving the same puzzle in a different manner for the whole game

i liked it got my monies worth but someone who doesnt like this type of game might aswell look for something else

Oh yeah for sure. If you don't like solving puzzles then don't touch it. But I'd like to think someone who doesn't like puzzle games isn't going to be considering this one. "If you don't like puzzle games, don't buy this puzzle game" is pretty standard stuff, right? If you do though, boy it's a treat. Really great workout for the old abstract thinking muscles in a multitude of ways.

ThisOne

Congrats to Xbox owners that are excited for it. I found the game to be quite boring and obtuse. Most disappointing purchase for me this year.

Unknown?

its actually not, its self published by hello games. and the ps4 box does not have the "console exclusive" tagging like KOF14 does.

Yeah but lots of games that will never go anywhere but PlayStation are lacking that logo. I wouldn't say that's a good indicator at all. I wonder why only SFV used it but every game since then has not.

Aces&Eights

One of the few games that made me grab paper and pen to make notes as I played because I got that into it. I still find little tetris pieces under the couch when I vacuum.

Noobcraft

Yeah but lots of games that will never go anywhere but PlayStation are lacking that logo. I wouldn't say that's a good indicator at all. I wonder why only SFV used it but every game since then has not.
It also has references to an Xbox One version in the system files. It might come.

Unknown?

It also has references to an Xbox One version in the system files. It might come.

It also has references to PS3 and 360, the XO references were associated with havock and that's a multi platform engine. Most likely leftovers from before Sony swooped in. It isn't impossible just highly improbable. The Witness was always likely because it was rated for XO from the start.

Hanmik

its actually not, its self published by hello games. and the ps4 box does not have the "console exclusive" tagging like KOF14 does.

but the European Advert said this?

o1YAIk0.png

Who the heck knows with No Mans Sky

The box does have the "console exclusive" sticker on it in some territories and not others. And you get a giant "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" screen when you boot it which is real strange for a a game not published by Sony.

I'd say it is locked down 12 months because that seems like the standard for such a deal. More the your normal indie game 2-6 month exclusive deal. Not completely locking it down like.... I cant think of many indie games Sony "locked down" they didnt straight up publish and fund.

At least with The Wittiness, J Blow was pretty clear about the deal. Its just a matter of waitng for his PS4 deal to end.

Unknown?

Who the heck knows with No Mans Sky

The box does have the "console exclusive" sticker on it in some territories and not others. And you get a giant "Sony Interactive Entertainment Presents" screen when you boot it which is real strange for a a game not published by Sony.

I'd say it is locked down 12 months because that seems like the standard for such a deal. More the your normal indie game 2-6 month exclusive deal. Not completely locking it down like.... I cant think of many indie games Sony "locked down" they didnt straight up publish and fund.

At least with The Wittiness, J Blow was pretty clear about the deal. Its just a matter of waitng for his PS4 deal to end.

The fact that it says Sony Interactive Entertainment should be enough... What, is it going to say that on Xbox? :D No one has had any good reasoning for that, just wishful thinking.

Anyway enjoy The Witness those who haven't had access to it. Who knows when it will come though since, as mentioned, it was rated in the US since January. I would guess pretty soon though maybe in a few months?

Get this game. It's amazing. And I mean that in a non-hyperbole way, there were a few times where I was genuinely amazed.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know how well The Witness did for Blow and his studio? Did it do "enough to make a new game of a larger scope" well?

IvanJ

Banned
I think you will have about the same experience by keeping the $40, going on a merry-go-round for 15 minutes followed by puking your guts out.
It's an overpriced overhyped piece of line-puzzle crap, ten puzzles stretched into 600 puzzles by making you repeat the same one 60 times over.

It's a toss up if you will get bored with it before it makes you physically ill.

Montresor

This is truly such awesome news.

The Witness is such a huuuuge title to come over. I'm really excited. I've always been excited to play the successor to Braid.

I sincerely hope The Talos Principle comes over too. The more puzzle games on XB1, the better. It's one of my absolute favourite genre on the system.

DryvBy

I had a lot of fun with it but I hit a point where I didn't want to continue. It's a time consuming game. If you enjoy puzzle games, it's probably the best I've ever played. But I did regret my purchase after the novelty wore off.

Yes it is lol

I am certain this is coming to other consoles. There's nothing on the box saying console exclusive.

See SFV:

NMS:

Hanmik

I had a lot of fun with it but I hit a point where I didn't want to continue. It's a time consuming game. If you enjoy puzzle games, it's probably the best I've ever played. But I did regret my purchase after the novelty wore off.

I am certain this is coming to other consoles. There's nothing on the box saying console exclusive.

See SFV:

NMS:

but again

Hanmik said:
but why does this advert say it is exclusive then..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKs7YTpSufY

check the end of the video...

it really says Console Exclusive.. so unless the advert is wrong... it should be a console exclusive (which sucks)..

Sotha_Sil

Absolutely. Its a brilliantly designed game, so don't spoil yourself beforehand. The game does some cool things you'll want to discover for yourself.

Worth every penny, but maybe read or watch a few reviews to see if it's your cup of tea. I personally think it's an absolutely amazing experience.

T.O.P

Banned
I think you will have about the same experience by keeping the $40, going on a merry-go-round for 15 minutes followed by puking your guts out.
It's an overpriced overhyped piece of line-puzzle crap, ten puzzles stretched into 600 puzzles by making you repeat the same one 60 times over.

It's a toss up if you will get bored with it before it makes you physically ill.

That sounds extremely close to another game i recently played :lol

mclem

If it's the right sort of game for you - so if you're heavily into puzzle games, and aren't put off by a similar visual theme to the puzzle style (actual solutions vary more) - then I would say that it's absolutely worth full price.

Top Bottom