• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New disappointment discovered : No Man's Sky (CrowbCat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
tumblr_n0wj61hiNg1slik4to1_400.gif

I never understood the hype people got caught up in for a goddamn indie title. This never was going to deliver the revolution people were imagining, solely based on common sense. The backlash was predestined.

Ulysses 31

giphy.gif

I'm so glad I didn't buy into the hype and dodged the bullet.

I was never planning to buy it anyway. >.>

BigEmil

Did he include where Sean said the 2015 e3 demo was random but it was actually scripted? Which was found in the data mining thread.
Edit: Looks like he has

Why wouldn't this just go in the review thread? Does there need to be another thread for people who don't like a video game to collectively get angry about said video game?

I never understood the hype people got caught up in for a goddamn indie title. This never was going to deliver the revolution people were imagining. The backlash was predestined.

Except Indie games are usually far more revolutionary and innovative than any other type of game.

samn

His use of the word 'ecology' suggests something very different than random Spore animals and different colour trees.

RoKKeR

Trailer Jones was on point about this game looking at those clips from GT Live... wow.

"So you're telling me there's a prescribed way to ask questions about this one particular video game."

Z3M0G

I never understood the hype people got caught up in for a goddamn indie title. This never was going to deliver the revolution people were imagining, solely based on common sense. The backlash was predestined.
$60
AAA marketing campaign
Limited edition

People were fooled into thinking this was not a simple little indie game.

styl3s

That's the myth. The reality is sometimes different.
The reality is the majority of indie games aren't innovative and revolutionary the problem i have when people bring up absurd statements like that is those people only play the games that get hailed as "innovative" "brilliant" or "revolutionary" they don't play the other 20,000 indie games that range from terrible to average.

T.O.P

Banned
Totally missed the Funhaus podcast at the time, gotta check that out

Video is fuckin amazing so far anyway

The reality is the majority of indie games aren't innovative and revolutionary the problem i have when people bring up absurd statements like that is those people only play the games that get hailed as "innovative" "brilliant" or "revolutionary" they don't play the other 20,000 indie games that range from terrible to average.

Well you know I was to be gentle...

GOOCHY

Lots of hype for this one. It just seemed off. If you're pumping the game with Stephen Colbert you're probably going to be due for some backlash when it doesn't really work out.

Moreche

That video hit the nail on the head.
Sean Murray danced with the celebs, relished all of the publicity and released his game for £50. This is not an indie game and he obviously doesn't view it as one.
I pre-ordered this game from PSN store and can personally state that I can't remember the last time I've been deceived and disappointed in any game for a very long time.
The game is a total piece of shit and I don't trust the studio to ever fix it.

I didn't say every indie game was revolutionary though.

gngf123

Except Indie games are usually far more revolutionary and innovative than any other type of game.

They often aren't, but if we just stick to those that are revolutionary/creative. Since they absolutely do exist.

Those indie titles are often small in scope. They do one or two very creative things incredibly well, and know to stick with it. No Man's Sky had huge scope, and people were putting massive AAA expectations on it. Expectations that absolutely could not be fulfilled with a team of 12 people. There's only so much they could do.

Even that considered, I still believe they could have handled it much better. The PC performance issues, that stupid online sticker, things like that they should have been able to get right.

flkraven

They often aren't, but if we just stick to those that are revolutionary/creative. Since they absolutely do exist.

Those indie titles are often small in scope. They do one or two very creative things incredibly well, and know to stick with it.

No Man's Sky had huge scope, and people were putting massive AAA expectations on it. Expectations that absolutely could not be fulfilled with a team of 12 people. There's only so much they could do.

Triple A marketing + Triple A price = Triple A expectations + Triple A criticism

Rezae

I find this whole ordeal a bit fascinating. I followed the development casually, and thought it was a neat concept, but never came close to understanding the crazy hype around here for it and the endless threads pre-release. I plan on playing it once it drops in price (which also seems to be the source of a lot of heat). Then again, it appears it's doing well, despite the general backlash. Seems to be a good case study on how to market a game.

GAF needs to grow the fuck up.

Emotionally attaching yourself to a game that isn't even out.

Why?

So you can wait for a review thread and yell "GOTY" in all caps over and over?

Why?

Why.
I don't really get it. Be excited for a game I get, that's all well and good but, don't act like everything is set in stone before you play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom