• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children arrives Sept. 6 on PS4; F2P version coming in the near future

FelipeMGM

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/16/the-tomorrow-children-arrives-september-6-on-ps4/

Hello, Comrades! Today it gives me great pleasure to announce The Tomorrow Children will be launching next month on September 6 with the early access Founders Pack! We will also be opening the game up to everyone as a free-to-play title in the near future.
The Tomorrow Children is a unique combination of action, simulation, strategy, and social gaming that delivers an experience unlike anything else. As “projection clones,” players will be tasked to work together — And unite for the glory for all! — in an alternate future Soviet Union in order to restore civilization to a world that has been annihilated by a failed science experiment. Gather resources, build and customize your town, build defenses, fend off gigantic “Izverg” kaiju monsters, and much more.

29009867585_77f0f95373_z.jpg

Starting on September 6, The Tomorrow Children’s early access Founders Pack will be offered for a limited time until the official launch of the free-to-play game. The Founders Pack bundles together a great selection of paid DLC items, 1000 Freeman Dollars (in-game currency), and exclusive bonus content, giving players a big running start as they dive into the world of the Void.
The early access Founders Pack includes the following premium paid content ($19.99, includes more than $30 worth of content):

redhood56

Banned
The F2P route makes sense for this game. It's really the bees knees from what I played from the alpha to all the betas. I am excited to hop back into it.

bede-x

Actually looked interesting in previews, but had I known it was F2P I wouldn't have bothered watching. Oh well, enough other games out there.

I wouldn't mind dropping $20 for the founder pack, but we have no idea how good/bad the grind for this will be. Well hopefully this game will survive through f2p. I actually really enjoyed the beta.

Played the beta myself, I think it did have potential, but I could not see myself paying for it. I think the free to play model might work out for them.

Still think it's missing a little something, can't really put my finger on what though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's a smart decision, and I'm glad they're doing this from the beginning. From the get go, I knew that this game would live or die on its playerbase, and a pricetag can limit it a lot.

I'll definitely chip in for the Founders pack. Hope to see the triumphant return of GAF-town!

schaft0620

After 10-15 hours of playing the game I couldn't imagine the game not being F2P. Not a fan of how F2P has been working this gen but I can see how this works. People that don't have the money for South Park, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Skyrim will enjoy this.

May I suggest The Tomorrow Children |OT| Communist Minecraft

bitbydeath

F2P is interesting, I'll be down for a founders pack, past that though I don't think I'd pay to play. Never been a big fan of that model...

HiVision

Hey everyone, dylan here (director of TTC).
I'm as much of a gamer as everyone else and hate typical f2p and pay walls and that kind of thing so believe me we have tried to make the f2p element of the game as tasteful as possible and reward players for simply being a part of the game and its community.

Spy

I'm as much of a gamer as everyone else and hate typical f2p and pay walls and that kind of thing so believe me we have tried to make the f2p element of the game as tasteful as possible and reward players for simply being a part of the game and its community.
Would it be possible to implement towns where free to play elements are not available? I was excited for the game but knowing people can just pay money and outdo me is unappealing.

I knew you were Dylan! (Kinda guessed by how you seemed to know every detail inside out) Glad to hear that you're taking the tasteful route for F2P. It can be, and has been done right before after all.

I'm guessing this isn't anything you could drop on a forum but worth a try. Is there any sort of time frame for the F2P release? Within 2016 hopefully?

HiVision

Would it be possible to implement towns where free to play elements are not available? I was excited for the game but knowing people can just pay money and outdo me is unappealing.

Don't worry it's not pay2win at all, we restored the Freeman dollar drops that were missing in the latest beta test (due to a Japanese side legal snaffle that we got sorted out) so you can still collect those and buy stuff on the black market if you need it.

HiVision

I knew you were Dylan! (Kinda guessed by how you seemed to know every detail inside out) Glad to hear that you're taking the tasteful route for F2P. It can be, and has been done right before after all.

I'm guessing this isn't anything you could drop on a forum but worth a try. Is there any sort of time frame for the F2P release? Within 2016 hopefully?

There's no concrete time frame yet unfortunately - I certainly hope it will be during 2016 though.

You can persuade a founders pack player to 'purchase' (with the in game coupons) an f2p invite from the union shop and get in for free on sept 6th of course, rather than wait for the big official f2p launch.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
There's no concrete time frame yet unfortunately - I certainly hope it will be during 2016 though.

You can persuade a founders pack player to 'purchase' (with the in game coupons) an f2p invite from the union shop and get in for free on sept 6th of course, rather than wait for the big official f2p launch.

Am guessing you guys wont be doing any sort of physical release at all? Since its a bit of a shame if so since really do think you folks made quite the unique title and was hoping for a retail release for collection purposes.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Never say never!

A physical copy would make a real nice "founders" pack. Giving that little extra thanks to those who helped support the title early on. Most def prefer that sort of thing rather than kicking in $$$ via F2P. Its more a personal pref rather than totally hating the business model as do understand why its done in this day and age.

While I knew it was a MP centric title, was really hoping for a physical release also. As really dig the art style you guys used with the game design. Very unique.

Thanks for taking time out and braving the digital jungle known as GAF lol.

Hell yes. I have faith that the team will deliver the best possible experience without the more egregious elements of typical F2P titles.

That's a clever little system you've put in place there, though I'll likely be buying the founders edition anyway. I enjoyed the beta and need something to pick up next month so great timing! Congrats on getting the release date nailed in. I kinda expected the game to be out a long time ago so I can only imagine the long road it's been for you guys.

pixelation

This game looks gorgeous, such a shame that i personally don't find it fun. Nothing against the game and i wish much success to it, hopefully they'll use the same engine on a game that fits my interests best after this project, i played the beta but had no clue as to what the hell i was doing/supposed to do and i can only gawk at the visuals for so long.

Shinjica

care to explain why you choose the F2P way instead of a normal price for your game?

HiVision

You'll find the final release more fun I think with the full set of missions and a no. of other major changes we disabled for the beta (keeping our cards close to our chest).

HiVision

care to explain why you choose the F2P way instead of a normal price for your game?

The game is a persistent world so we need some sort of continuing income (long term) to maintain them and also the Marxist vs free world story line really lent itself to the concept so it is a really good match I think.

The f2p elements aren't really like other f2p games so hopefully people will be pleasantly surprised.

Spy

Don't worry it's not pay2win at all, we restored the Freeman dollar drops that were missing in the latest beta test (due to a Japanese side legal snaffle that we got sorted out) so you can still collect those and buy stuff on the black market if you need it.
Thanks, I'll take your word for it that it's not heavy on the pay to win elements. I really enjoyed what I had played of the beta.

seb

Banned
Lol never change GAF
F2P means that the game has to be poorly balanced by design to be financially sustainable. How is this good news exactly?

Edit: Just read Dylan's comment. I will actually give it a try out of respect for him. Monster is gotg on ps3 so I owe him that :)

Do you guys plan on providing updates on what have been changed since the beta?

My overall interest in the game is very dependent on how griefing will be prevented.

Zoe

I've been wondering about this! Guess this will fill the FFXV black hole for the time being.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
F2P means that the game has to be poorly balanced by design to be financially sustainable. How is this good news exactly?
It doesn't have to be. Quake Live and DOTA2 prove that.

If you look at the sea of F2P games then chances are that it is and I make no claim for this game. But it can be done.

You'll find the final release more fun I think with the full set of missions and a no. of other major changes we disabled for the beta (keeping our cards close to our chest).

Will there be an increase in player population or private towns? We really need GafTown back and private invites would do wonders for preventing griefers.

bitbydeath

Dylan stated it isn't Pay 2 Win so hopefully that means it is more like LBP with the content being mini DLC as opposed to the bad FTP which is one time use content.

HiVision

Will there be an increase in player population or private towns? We really need GafTown back and private invites would do wonders for preventing griefers.

Not entirely private but the anti griefing has been stepped up and is more automated. The police around town are more active now!!

HiVision

Edit: Just read Dylan's comment. I will actually give it a try out of respect for him. Monster is gotg on ps3 so I owe him that :)

No, all it means is we have persistent servers we need to maintain and plan to keep the game running for years to come. We need at least a trickle of continuous income to make that work.

The game has been fully balanced without even considering f2p.

pixelation

Nice, i had no clue there were going to be missions!!!, consider my interest picked again.

BTA

Enjoyed the couple hours I played of the beta, but not sure I liked it enough (or understood it enough, frankly) to keep with it. Guess I'll see what people say in a few weeks and then reconsider.

xviper

i'll never even think about downloading it even for free until they make you see the other players, in the beta you see a player for 1 second and then he disappears, it's more like a single player than MP because of that

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sooooo I'm actually significantly more excited now that it's free to play.The beta never really put me in a position where I was confident I was going to buy the game. That combined with the fact of all that community stuff didn't fill me with much confidence player base size wise. Quite a few things make a lot more sense now too.

Qvoth

i'm actually glad this is f2p, because even though i enjoyed the game, i'm not sure if i'll spend money on it
AU7Amsc.gif

Top Bottom