• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 component cables don't work on my HDTV! Help me GAF!

ElyrionX

So I just bought a brand new set of PS2 component cables to use on this TV.

Problem is, it doesn't work. I get an error message on my TV saying "Mode not supported". Composite works fine on the TV though. So I switch to composite and go into the system menu and try configuring the options, switching to "16:9" and switching from "Y Cr/Br etc" to "RGB" (what the hell does that mean anyway?) under the Component video option. Still doesn't work.

Help me GAF!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ElyrionX said:
So I just bought a brand new set of PS2 component cables to use on this TV.

Problem is, it doesn't work. I get an error message on my TV saying "Mode not supported". Composite works fine on the TV though. So I switch to composite and go into the system menu and try configuring the options, switching to "16:9" and switching from "Y Cr/Br etc" to "RGB" (what the hell does that mean anyway?) under the Component video option. Still doesn't work.

Help me GAF!

For component output, the PS2 as well as the TV must be set to Y/Pb/Pr. Have you checked if you TVs input is set right?
Edit: wiki on component video:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ElyrionX said:
How do I set my TV to Y/Pb/Pr?
in short: RTFM
in long:
I don't know about that TVs GUI, but it should be under something like menu-> inputs-> (Number of input)->settings. the number/description of the input should be found in the manual or on the TV itself.

ElyrionX

My TV's component input is Pr Pb Y as stated on the back where I plug in the component cables. So I guess I don't need to adjust any settings?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ElyrionX said:
My TV's component input is Pr Pb Y as stated on the back where I plug in the component cables. So I guess I don't need to adjust any settings?
Are the cables plugged into the TV in the right order?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You can also change the output settings on the ps2 in the system menu.

big_z

You have to change the picture source on the tv. There should be an option to choose what you want to use.

ElyrionX

Yes, the plugs are in the right order. And yes I did change the component output on the PS2's system menu.

Picture source on TV? Yes, of course I did select the appropriate source.

It's just that whenever I turn on the PS2, the TV would show a black screen and an error message "Mode not supported". When I enter the TV's Menu from there, the sound would sometimes come on for about 1 second and go off. A distorted picture would come on for one second and go away, leaving a black screen again.

Rimshot

RGB = red green and blue

It's a signal like component that european/scandinavians use through the scart contact.
It holds the same picture quality as component only that the consoles are not progammed to enable progressive through it which is a bad thing i think :/

Oh well :)

Ikse

Do you have a modded ps2 with the "green fix" for dvd's? Apparently the Messiah modded ps2's on early models, this green fix disabled the component out.

I recently found this out myself, so sounded like the right time to invest in a slim PSTwo

Dylx

Do you have any DVD players that output componet?? If you Dvd player or ect cannot display a picture, then have your TV serviced (still under warrenty?).

If your dvd player can display a picture then, either your ps2 is bad or bad cables (Its possible).

Always use the process of elimination. It helps alot!

ElyrionX

No, my PS2 is not modded.

Yes, the DVD player works fine on the same component input jacks.

And no, the cables are brand new from Play-Asia so it's quite unlikely that the cables are faulty.

I've spoken to a friend who's got a bigger model of the same TV I have, and likewise, he couldn't get his PS2 componenet to work on his TV.

The Xbox and Gamecube component cables work perfectly on my TV as well.

Dylx

Oh ok, then it just a fault of the TV line. Complain to samsung maybe they will give you a new TV. thats if its important to you. PS3 is right around the corner, im sure it will display ps2 games over componet just fine :)

aktham

set the PS2 video out to Y/Pb/Pr instead of RGB and
make SURE that the component cable is all the way in your PS2 and wiggle it a bit. I always have problems with my component cable not being in all the way in. If that doesn't fix it then it's a fault with the PS2 or the cables (probably the cables).

ElyrionX said:
No, my PS2 is not modded.

Yes, the DVD player works fine on the same component input jacks.

And no, the cables are brand new from Play-Asia so it's quite unlikely that the cables are faulty.

I've spoken to a friend who's got a bigger model of the same TV I have, and likewise, he couldn't get his PS2 componenet to work on his TV.

The Xbox and Gamecube component cables work perfectly on my TV as well.

What is the exact model of your TV.

milkham

am i right in guessing you have an older model of hdtv? or a cheap one? some older tvs can only do progressive on some inputs and only interlaced on others, so your ps2 is starting out by displaying in 480i which your tv's input isnt designed for. since you can only switch to 480p once the game starts by holding a button combo, it will say mode not supported when you first turn it on. try holding the button combo to switch the game to progressive scan and then switching your tv input to something else and then coming back. The reason your dvd player works fine is that once its set to 480p, its 480p 100% of the time.

ElyrionX

I posted the model of my HDTV in the first post:

http://www.samsung.com/sg/products/tv/lcdtv/la26r71b.asp

Bear in mind that I'm not from the US, so that model may not be exactly the same as what you get over there.

milkham said:
am i right in guessing you have an older model of hdtv? or a cheap one? some older tvs can only do progressive on some inputs and only interlaced on others, so your ps2 is starting out by displaying in 480i which your tv's input isnt designed for. since you can only switch to 480p once the game starts by holding a button combo, it will say mode not supported when you first turn it on. try holding the button combo to switch the game to progressive scan and then switching your tv input to something else and then coming back. The reason your dvd player works fine is that once its set to 480p, its 480p 100% of the time.

And no, my HDTV isn't cheap nor is it old. It's Samsung latest lineup of LCD TV and it's less than 2 months old.

I didn't even configure the settings on my DVD player to 480p. I assumed that was done automatically when connected by component.

So you're saying that I wouldn't be able to use my component cables on my TV for PS2 games that don't support progressive scan?

And what's the button combo to switch the PS2 to progressive scan? How do I know whether a game supports progressive scan or not (HDTV arcade says Soul Calibur 3 does but I don't see it indicated anywhere on the box)?

teiresias

Feindflug said:
The button combo to switch the PS2 to progressive scan is triangle & x after the Playstation2 logo appears.

And here's a list of the PS2 games that support 480p. :)

I'm not sure that works with all 480p supporting games though. If a game supports the "hold a button to automatically start in 480p" thing it is usually noted as such in the game manual, at least the ones I've seen.

ElyrionX

I was about to reply with a "C'mon people! I'm not stupid! OF COURSE, I checked the cables and pushed in the cables hard!" until I thought "Oh well, no harm giving it another shot."

And it worked.

I feel stupid.

But in my defense, I was pretty sure I had connected the cables reasonably well previously. I mean, I didn't use excessive force but I was sure it was all the way in. When I did it again just now, I forced it in as hard as I dared and it finally worked.

Thanks Dragona!! THanks GAF!!

Now, I'm all set for FFXII!

ElyrionX said:
I was about to reply with a "C'mon people! I'm not stupid! OF COURSE, I checked the cables and pushed in the cables hard!" until I thought "Oh well, no harm giving it another shot."

And it worked.

I feel stupid.

But in my defense, I was pretty sure I had connected the cables reasonably well previously. I mean, I didn't use excessive force but I was sure it was all the way in. When I did it again just now, I forced it in as hard as I dared and it finally worked.

Thanks Dragona!! THanks GAF!!

Now, I'm all set for FFXII!

Seriously though, PS2 component cables are NOTORIOUS in that you have to really push them HARD for them to register on TVs. I have no idea why.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I need to go tell my friend about this as well since it should work on his TV too.

Now, I've got some other questions:

1) Progressive scan for PS2 games are not automatically enabled? If a PS2 game supports 480p, must I manually enable it every time I start up the game?

2) What about Gamecube and Xbox progressive scan games?

Feindflug

teiresias said:
I'm not sure that works with all 480p supporting games though. If a game supports the "hold a button to automatically start in 480p" thing it is usually noted as such in the game manual, at least the ones I've seen.

Most of the PS2 games that support 480p work with the button combo if not then the pro-scan will be enabled through the options menu of the game.

The only games that I've seen that you enable the pro-scan option through the option menu are Jak2/3, R&C2/3, SOTC, POP:Sands Of Time, GoW, Tekken 5, GT4 & Fatal Frame 3.

teiresias

Feindflug said:
Most of the PS2 games that support 480p work with the button combo if not then the pro-scan will be enabled through the options menu of the game.

The only games that I've seen that you enable the pro-scan option through the option menu are Jak2/3, R&C2/3, SOTC, POP:Sands Of Time, GoW, Tekken 5, GT4 & Fatal Frame 3.

Heh, which are pretty much the only 480p-capable games that I own - that I know of. :) I just didn't think the "hold the button" option was widely used from my own, admittedly, anecdotal evidence.

ElyrionX

Feindflug said:

That link you gave to HDTV Arcade's list of PS2 480p games stated that Soul Calibur 3 ha progressive scan. But this isn't stated anywhere on the box. How do I know without referring to that list whether a game has progressive scan or not?

Valkyrie Profile 2 is probably the best "HD" level title I've seen on the PS2 yet; you use the button combo on bootup but it lets you set 16:9 and 480p at the same time. (DPL2 can then be set from the main options, along with a nifty surround checker)

milkham

for xbox all you have to do is goin into the dashboard and change the display setting to whatever your tv supports, whether its 720p, or 1080i, then it will automatically output the highest any particular game can do, though i think there are only 1 or 2 that do 1080i and a handful that do 720p. There's another key combination for gamecube that i can't remember off the top of my head but once you set it in one game, all the other games that support it will automatically put out 480p until you hold the button combo again to turn it back to 480i.

Top Bottom