• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Xbox One Frame-Rate Test + Campaign First Look

Maxey

Amazing what that reconstruction technique can do. Lower base res but looks almost as sharp as the PS4 version.

Also quite stable framerate, nice.

I wonder if the PS4 version also uses that technique, it looks quite sharp as well.

Xater

don't quite agree with the assessment here. I thought the image quality was too soft for my taste. Definitely not in improvement over the first game int hat regard. The better framerate and lack of tearing are nice though.

The resolution disparity was fairly obvious, but it's still impressive they managed to get IQ like that with a base rez of 720p. I'm surprised at the performance analysis though. In my experience, performance on the XB1 version was pretty unstable in the Bounty Hunter mode, specifically when the Grunt Pod drops and the smoke effects kick up. Meanwhile, that never seemed to stress the PS4 version.

Very interesting performance profile here, nonetheless.

The image quality in motion is great considering it's locked at 720p. Performance is not bad either.

The comparison with Quantum Break is a bit strange, in my opinion. QB is a blurry and ghosting mess in comparison.

Caayn

Wonder what the performance differences are between the XB1 and XB1s. Especially when alpha effects come into play.

thelastword

Banned
Amazing what that reconstruction technique can do. Lower base res but looks almost as sharp as the PS4 version.

Also quite stable framerate, nice.

I wonder if the PS4 version also uses that technique, it looks quite sharp as well.
Go back and watch the PS4 footage and come say that with a straight face.

I also disagree with DF's assessment on framerate here. On foot, both versions run at 60fps, the dips comes with the heavy use of alpha (more grass, explosions, heavy smoke plumes). This game really has impressive effects and the footage shown of the PS4 had much more explosions going on. There was this smoke cloud that stayed on the screen for quite a while in the PS4 footage. I'd like to see some XB1 footage with as much on screen and as many explosions. Seems like the DF analyst was trying to avoid titan battles as much as possible on the XB1 version.

Have they played this on the S or the og X1?

I'd like to know as well. We're at this weird point where a different SKU will offer a possible performance difference, and I imagine DF will need to either test on multiple SKUs per console or state very clearly which version they're playing on.

cripterion

Here we are with 4K TV sets being mainstream and games coming out and still running at 720p towards the end of 2016...

89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

That's pretty solid overall. These modern resolution techniques are great and will really come into play with the Scorpio / Neo.

thenameDS

Would want to go PC personally, but I'm afraid of the community dying and also hackers. Plus I play with a controller and have a feeling I would get destroyed, so I'm happy to see that the game still looks and performs great on Xbox.

Maybe even the One S can improve the dropped frames whilst all that action is going on.

thelastword

Banned
Here we go again
The footage shown of the XB1 is no proper indicator of it's overall performance. This is a game (MP) where you engage enemies, it's fast paced with lots of unscripted explosions. Look at the first minute of the video linked in the OP, the player is just running around not facing any enemies, hardly firing bullets, perhaps just exploring and contrast that with the PS4 footage where things are chaotic throughout. It's obviously busier in one video, I'm just saying you can't come to a conclusion on framerate differences due to that.

Maxey

Go back and watch the PS4 footage and come say that with a straight face.

I also disagree with DF's assessment on framerate here. On foot, both versions run at 60fps, the dips comes with the heavy use of alpha (more grass, explosions, heavy smoke plumes). This game really has impressive effects and the footage shown of the PS4 had much more explosions going on. There was this smoke cloud that stayed on the screen for quite a while in the PS4 footage. I'd like to see some XB1 footage with as much on screen and as many explosions. Seems like the DF analyst was trying to avoid titan battles as much as possible on the XB1 version.

I hope your tinfoil hat is sitting comfortably on your head. Jeez.

To be fair, the Youtube compression hides the sharpness difference between platforms, so that's not a good way to compare the IQ, but even so, I find it difficult to find significant differences in picture sharpness.

In fact, I watched the Giant Bomb Unfinished of TFall 2 and I thought the two consoles were running at the same res.

Here we are with 4K TV sets being mainstream and games coming out and still running at 720p towards the end of 2016...

Honestly, I still think 4K screens came out 2 or 3 years too early. At least when it comes to gaming, the hardware capable of achieving 4K is too expensive and not even that capable yet for new games.

T.O.P

Banned
The footage shown of the XB1 is no proper indicator of it's overall performance. This is a game (MP) where you engage enemies, it's fast paced with lots of unscripted explosions. Look at the first minute of the video linked in the OP, the player is just running around not facing any enemies, hardly firing bullets, perhaps just exploring and contrast that with the PS4 footage where things are chaotic throughout. It's obviously busier in one video, I'm just saying you can't come to a conclusion on framerate differences due to that.

But they still showed when the fps drops hapened, especially when riding a titan or when there were a lot of smoke/explosions on screen

From there to go to "DF analysts avoided Titan battle as much as possible" it's a long shot no?

Head.spawn

Cboat redeemed, lol.

Looking decent for such a low resolution; though it's pretty sad that's all they were able to achieve though, it's not like the game looks all that great.

Maxey

Cboat redeemed, lol.

Looking decent for such a low resolution; though it's pretty sad that's all they were able to achieve though, it's not like the game looks all that great.

It's worth it for 60fps with such heavy action going on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Guys, it's a first look. I played as best as I could. You can't just get any footage you want in an MP game.

Just my first impressions. That's all. Most of the actual in Titan footage is also perfectly smooth - it was only when actually riding the Titan that things chugged.

Also, I played on a plasma display at my normal distance. Image quality looks great. If you're playing on a PC monitor in close proximity? Yeah, it'll look a lot worse.

T.O.P

Banned
Guys, it's a first look. I played as best as I could. You can't just get any footage you want in an MP game.

Just my first impressions. That's all. Most of the actual in Titan footage is also perfectly smooth - it was only when actually riding the Titan that things chugged.

Also, I played on a plasma display at my normal distance. Image quality looks great. If you're playing on a PC monitor in close proximity? Yeah, it'll look a lot worse.

Cheers dark :D

Can you confirm if this was on an X1 S by any chance?

Raide

Huh. Did not think it was 720. Seems to look higher and performance is pretty solid. Still needs a few more tweaks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cheers dark :D

Can you confirm if this was on an X1 S by any chance?
Can confirm that it was NOT on X1 S. Just a stock box.

Honestly, if it were possible to do nearest neighbor scaling, both 720p and 1080p would scale perfectly to 4k with very sharp pixels. I would love to see that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Interesting

I look forward to seeing how the reconstruction turns out in the final game. Love hearing about these techniques. I find them fascinating when they're properly done.

The PS4 version looks a lot sharper than 900p to me as well, which is extra surprising considering they're using TAA. Some form of this there as well?

cripterion

I hope your tinfoil hat is sitting comfortably on your head. Jeez.

To be fair, the Youtube compression hides the sharpness difference between platforms, so that's not a good way to compare the IQ, but even so, I find it difficult to find significant differences in picture sharpness.

In fact, I watched the Giant Bomb Unfinished of TFall 2 and I thought the two consoles were running at the same res.

Honestly, I still think 4K screens came out 2 or 3 years too early. At least when it comes to gaming, the hardware capable of achieving 4K is too expensive and not even that capable yet for new games.

Oh I definitely agree with you considering the state of broadband in most countries and no proper 4K support. It does take a heavy rig to power 4K games too which is why both Sony and MS make me laught with their lofty 4K gaming claims.

Still though, I probably would have laughed if you told me a couple of years ago that some games would still boast a 720P resolution at the end of 2016...

We're basically at the point where AAA FPS are all 60. Destiny and Far Cry are the only ones I can think of that are still 30.

Yeah I'll still take the better framerate over resolution.

Maxey

Still though, I probably would have laughed if you told me a couple of years ago that some games would still boast a 720P resolution at the end of 2016...

Yeah, it is a bit upsetting but the truth is that no matter how powerful these consoles were to be, you'd still have cases of games lower in resolution than the norm.

The PS3 and 360 were no slouches when they came out but devs were nonetheless releasing sub-720 games all the time until the end of the generation.

Angel_DvA

The PS4 version isn't really clean, the Xbox One version is worst, IQ is pretty bad but as long as its a rock solid 60FPS, it'll be ok but It'll take it on PC if I'm buying it for a better IQ.

thelastword

Banned
But they still showed when the fps drops hapened, especially when riding a titan or when there were a lot of smoke/explosions on screen

From there to go to "DF analysts avoided Titan battle as much as possible" it's a long shot no?
But there were hardly titans onscreen as opposed to PS4 footage, I'm pretty sure the PS4 would hold 60fps just as we're seeing here if that was the case. I also saw parts where the PS4 held 60fps even with titans and gunfire, so saying that the XB1 is smoother means nothing going by the contrasting videos. If you watch the videos back to back, you will clearly see what I'm saying.

89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

Only thing I can see is for them to reduce some of the effects, I do think the framerate is not bad for the IQ you get. If you have to compare, Battlefield Hardline looks awful compared to this in multi, atrocious textures, vomit inducing foliage, huge jaggies and muddy filtering. I see the footage here and it's better in all aspects, with good-looking textures, nice foliage, and amazing effects, AF and AA seems pretty solid on it as well.I think they hit a nice balance, but since the game has a bit more time in the oven, I'm sure they can optimize a bit more.

I'm really interested to see how the SP looks and performs though, I think SP looks bananas. It's also a nice-enough looking MP, yeah, rez should definitely be higher, but looking at all the 720p/900 games released this gen, it's certainly not the worse looking or performing.

As for 4K, I agree, 720p upscaled to 4K, not sure how that will look on the XB1-S. I really feel 720p belongs as a last generation resolution, but some people fight against better standards simply because they own a console who struggles at higher resolutions. It would be interesting to know if this is running on an S as opposed to Vanilla though

Ushay

Looks pretty good. I have a 4k TV set at this rate I'm regretting even getting it. Like bringing a rocket launcher to a fistfight.

Scorpio/Neo save us..

Maxey

wall-o-text

While you bring good points, it's all moot until the final version comes out. Who knows how much more optimization can they do until then.

Battlefront had some dips in the betas which were completely eliminated in the final game.

Also, they ran the game on a stock XB1.

Pjsprojects

As a little test I just ran both the console versions on the same TV,its clear enough the PS4 version runs better all round but the X1 has nothing game breaking apart from the slow down when jumping on a Titan in the middle of a battle,the frame rate went to shit where as the same sort of action on the PS4 seems fine.

After playing TF1 this morning on pc I'll be going with that option...

Top Bottom