• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's VC 08/25: Super Mario 64 DS (Wii U) and three Street Fighter games! (N3DS)

Richie

Clarifying this is for NA, but no problem as the titles are already part of the other territories' VCs.

Our good maxcriden gave me the idea to post the games' corresponding overviews, they're as follows:

Wii U:

Super Mario 64 DS

“Mario, Luigi, and Wario set out for a party at Princess Peach’s castle but arrive to find it empty except for Yoshi. They soon discover that Bowser has stolen the Power Stars and imprisoned the Toads. Enter all of the castle paintings, and save the day! Then try out some action-packed minigames!”

New 3DS:

Street Fighter Alpha 2

“Street Fighter Alpha 2 explodes on-screen with lightning-fast gameplay and amazing innovations. Quick Move Reversals, Alpha Counters and the incredible Custom Combo System create a new standard for all games to fight by. Push your talents to the limit as you discover new hidden moves and reversals for every character. Neutralize opponent’s attacks with high and low Alpha Counters and execute incredible Custom Combos to create your own rapid-fire assault of attacks. All your favorite warriors are back for more! Previously hidden characters Dan, Akuma, and Bison are joined by five new fighters: Rolento, Gen, Sakura, and classic favorites Dhalsim and Zangief.”

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting

“Street Fighter II defined gaming in the 1990s by revolutionizing the fighting game genre. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, was the third and final release of the original Street Fighter II series. The original eight world warriors are featured, along with playable boss characters Balrog, Sagat, and M. Bison. The game offered enhanced gameplay speed and improved character balancing.”

Street Fighter II The New Challengers

“When Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers debuted, the fighting game genre would be forever changed. Along with a revolutionary combo system, the game introduced a new set of challengers to fight alongside the original Street Fighter II cast. In addition to the classic characters, players take control of four brand new characters in exciting head-to-head fighting game play! Choose T. Hawk and his unmatched strength to crush your opponents. Use Deejay’s unrivaled kickboxing ability to defeat your opponents. Fight with the furious kung fu of Fei Long and unleash your inner dragon. Drill your rivals with the deadly beauty of Cammy and emerge victorious. Get ready for the Street Fighter Tournament and to fight!”

Woah nice lineup for 3ds! Not too hyped on rebuying VC games for every Nintendo console but portable SF2 sounds too good to pass up.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've never been a Street Fighter fan even going back to the 90s but I love that Capcom managed to pull off SFA2 on the SNES hardware.

SFA2? Holy crap, that means Nintendo's emulator has proper support for SDD-1... Same chip used in Star Ocean. Man I haven't been keeping up with VC on N3DS at all, did we know this before?

I've never been a Street Fighter fan even going back to the 90s but I love that Capcom managed to pull off SFA2 on the SNES hardware.

The real time decompression was pretty impressive, but the port is definitely still pretty weak. Still, really cool stuff that one of only a few games that use the chip work.

fernoca

Alpha 2 on SNES may not be the best version out there, but I always liked it. Considering the hardware, brings back nice memories. Might get it just for that.

Crawfish somehow managed to squeeze Street Fighter Alpha 3 onto the GBA.

Neither are ideal ports (Alpha 2 is an SNES game with loading times), but the fact that they exist at all is incredible. It's like those bootleg romhacks that put Super Mario World on the NES or whatever, but legit.

So portable consoles can get the Alpha games but not the home consoles? What the fuck are you doing Capcom? I'm done with this company. I remember a time when Capcom was a good company.

Nairume

Banned
SFA2? Holy crap, that means Nintendo's emulator has proper support for SDD-1... Same chip used in Star Ocean. Man I haven't been keeping up with VC on N3DS at all, did we know this before?
I guess it was always up in the air on whether or not the 3DS snes emulator had SDD-1 support, but we've known the WiiU one did since SFA2 was released on it two years ago.

So portable consoles can get the Alpha games but not the home consoles? What the fuck are you doing Capcom? I'm done with this company. I remember a time when Capcom was a good company.
WiiU got it :p

Producer

ROM dump for N3DS vs an actual port for consoles/PC. Very different things

Kind of hoping for another wave of Turbo games on Wii U, honestly. I just can't bring myself to buy DS games; it seems pointless. I will be picking up a New 3DS on Friday though, so I might get a SNES game or two.

Platy

Alpha 2 is on WiiU VC and Alpha 3 is a PS1 Classic.

PS2 also has the Alpha anthology but it is probably too far off =P

The Wii U has the same version of Alpha 2 and it's not even the best version of the game. Relax.

Chinbo37

Sorry this has probably already been answered but will mario 64 be full analog controls like the n64 version?

Neoxon

• I really hope Nintendo does arcade VC games again on the NX so we can get Super Turbo, a better version of Alpha 3, & 3rd Strike.
  • I'm curious to see if you can map the touch-screen analog controls of Super Mario 64 DS to the left stick.

Yukinari

Mario 64 DS needs actual analog control before i go back to it.

I absolutely love the mini-games but theyre not worth rebuying the game.

Zee-Row

Banned
It was always weird that Nintendo censored the Blood in Super Street Fighter 2 but not World Warrior and Turbo.

Turbo is the version of SF2 you should get, right?

Super Street Fighter II Turbo is the version you want if you want to experience true SFII.
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting came out a year before Street Fighter II The New Challengers and that came out a year before Super Street Fighter II Turbo. So out of the 2 on 3ds New Challengers is the more updated one.

Pajamas

I'm wondering if we're nearing the end of SNES VC games on the N3DS (for North America at least). Of all the games that were announced for all territories, the only ones that haven't hit NA so far are Super Castlevania IV, Mega Man X2/3, Final Fight 2/3 and some Fire Emblem games that were never released in this region. Anyone think that there will even be any other games announced? I have a lingering feeling there won't be even the slightest chance of any old Squaresoft games.

Turbo is the version of SF2 you should get, right?

Super is better than Turbo. More characters and improved gameplay changes.

The best version of SFII (Super Street Fighter II Turbo) was never ported to SNES and is the rarest among home console ports.

The most convenient ways to play that are on PS3/360 (as SSFII Turbo HD Remix - currently in Capcom's humble bundle!) or PS2 (as Hyper Street Fighter II in the Anniversary Collection, which also includes Third Strike).

Anth0ny

no one should buy 64 ds when the original is available

another remake of 64 with the ds features + proper controls
and a bunch more cool stuffs
needs to happen

Richie

Massive Super Mario 64 fan here and I think I'll wait for a sale before picking up DS. I would replay it but can certainly wait. I just realized, sadly, that the multiplayer won't work in this version. That mode that has you fighting over a Star brings great memories between my brother and I.

The minigames were pretty good for the most part though and between buying this or New Super Mario Bros, which also includes them, going with this is a no-brainer.

SFA 2 on SNES was pretty dope back in the days but since there are better options available now.. Nah.. I mean its still better than SFA 3 on GBA
Super is better than Turbo. More characters and improved gameplay changes.

The best version of SFII (Super Street Fighter II Turbo) was never ported to SNES and is the rarest among home console ports.

The most convenient ways to play that are on PS3/360 (as SSFII Turbo HD Remix - currently in Capcom's humble bundle!) or PS2 (as Hyper Street Fighter II in the Anniversary Collection, which also includes Third Strike).

Play it on 3DO

I guess it was always up in the air on whether or not the 3DS snes emulator had SDD-1 support, but we've known the WiiU one did since SFA2 was released on it two years ago.

WiiU got it :p

ROM dump for N3DS vs an actual port for consoles/PC. Very different things

The Wii U has the same version of Alpha 2 and it's not even the best version of the game. Relax.

My bad. Thought it was an actual port.

Alpha 2 is on WiiU VC and Alpha 3 is a PS1 Classic.

PS2 also has the Alpha anthology but it is probably too far off =P

Alpha 3 on the PS1 was horrible. The Saturn and Dreamcast version was the best. Also I would rather give up gaming then use the dual shock to play any fighting games with it.

Muzy72

Banned
no one should buy 64 ds when the original is available

another remake of 64 with the ds features + proper controls
and a bunch more cool stuffs
needs to happen

I really wished they had waited 7 years and released Super Mario 64 3D at the 3DS launch, lol.

I'm wondering if we're nearing the end of SNES VC games on the N3DS (for North America at least). Of all the games that were announced for all territories, the only ones that haven't hit NA so far are Super Castlevania IV, Mega Man X2/3, Final Fight 2/3 and some Fire Emblem games that were never released in this region. Anyone think that there will even be any other games announced? I have a lingering feeling there won't be even the slightest chance of any old Squaresoft games.

I think Konami and Capcom will keep up the support with Castlevania X, Gradius 3, Demon's Crest and maybe the Breath of Fire games. I also think Nintendo will round off with some of their stuff already on Wii U like Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Land 3.

lupinko

My bad. Thought it was an actual port.

Alpha 3 on the PS1 was horrible. The Saturn and Dreamcast version was the best. Also I would rather give up gaming then use the dual shock to play any fighting games with it.
The Saturn and Dreamcast versions were also pretty bad.

Cut frames aside, PS1 game was closest gameplay wise but if you want to play Alpha 3 on console it's best on the PS2 Alpha Anthology with enabled dip switches.

That or go grab a CPS2 and play it on a cab or supergun.

Now wait a second.

I know that NES games on 3DS like Mario 3 support download play for multiplayer. Buy it on one 3DS, play with a friend.

Can you do that with these Street Fighter games?

Top Bottom