• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Photogrammetry Demonstration at CEDEC sprinkled with tidbits of info

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Jawmuncher

Ok so the girl at the bottom could be from the Lantern Trailer. We got an army man, and maybe one of those guys at the bottom are Ethan?

Anyway I NEED that shirt.
img-2573_je6d.1280.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's really awesome to see their use of practical effects for photogrammetry. As movies continue the shift to CG, video games are doing the opposite.

Gonna keep reading but I was really impressed with their photogrammetry examples about halfway through.

kc44135

Cool stuff, Dusk! I'm finally starting to get on board with this game, and I can't wait to see more. However, Capcom's comments on the VR implementation here really don't instill me confidence in the technology. I mean, having to implement an option to turn off VR in the middle of the game tells me most people aren't going to be able to handle playing this game in VR for long periods of time. It just seems like the tech has a long way to go if it's that uncomfortable for most users.

Jawmuncher

Also it's a shame that Umbrella Corps was stuck on Unity. Would have been interesting to see that game on this engine.

ethomaz

Banned
Looks like cheap indie horror game lol

Amazing... can't wait to play this game.

PS. Thanks Dusk for all the info.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Man those are some nice renders, gives me hope for the full game. Hopefully the demo wasn't representative of the visuals as those models were pretty low poly and uncanny valley.

Someday capcom will design a female character that doesn't have the same bubble butt as every other one of their female characters....someday...

Looking damn good. I knew Capcom would not cheap out on their best IP outside of Monster Hunter.

Also thanks to Dusk Golem. I love your updates. if you had a YouTube channel dedicated to Resident Evil I would definitely subscribe.

Man those are some nice renders, gives me hope for the full game. Hopefully the demo wasn't representative of the visuals as those models were pretty low poly and uncanny valley.

Someday capcom will design a female character that doesn't have the same bubble butt as every other one of their female characters....someday...

You call that a bubble butt? More like pancake ass with a bit of extra flour...

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Crossing Eden

You call that a bubble butt? More like pancake ass with a bit of extra flour...
The point is they are seemingly incapable of not giving a female model a pronounced butt. The only recent example I can think of based on memory is Claire in RE:Revelations 2.

They did mention at the beginning of the demo it wasn't representative of the final game and in interviews they mentioned the demo was made a while ago and they'd made various improvements to the engine and other things since then.

One thing to note is from my understanding, the RE Engine is used not only to achieve good graphics, but for optimization. It prioritizes running at 60fps, and you may notice it renders graphics at a few points in the demo (and can see it in the Lanetern Gameplay also) when you open up specific doors. I think what the engine does is it optimizes the graphics based on the system so it can make it run at 60fps and mess with graphical fidelity based on the system specs to achieve the best effect.

I imagine the game will look really good on a good PC, but the engine lowers the quality to focus performance on weaker hardware, which includes unfortunately the PS4/Xbox One to achieve 60fps. All the gameplay they have shown so far has been on PS4, you can see the Lantern gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS05LB-3W4c

But they also released some shots I undoubtedly imagine is from their PC version:
Well at least the PC version will look good. Can't argue with 60fps though.

They did mention at the beginning of the demo it wasn't representative of the final game and in interviews they mentioned the demo was made a while ago and they'd made various improvements to the engine and other things since then.

One thing to note is from my understanding, the RE Engine is used not only to achieve good graphics, but for optimization. It prioritizes running at 60fps, and you may notice it renders graphics at a few points in the demo (and can see it in the Lanetern Gameplay also) when you open up specific doors. I think what the engine does is it optimizes the graphics based on the system so it can make it run at 60fps and mess with graphical fidelity based on the system specs to achieve the best effect.

I imagine the game will look really good on a good PC, but the engine lowers the quality to focus performance on weaker hardware, which includes unfortunately the PS4/Xbox One to achieve 60fps. All the gameplay they have shown so far has been on PS4, you can see the Lantern gameplay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS05LB-3W4c

But they also released some shots I undoubtedly imagine is from their PC version (and to mention these are from a VHS sequence, so there's some video effects applied over it as they also wanted to clarify):

So RE7 will run at 60fps on console? Considering it is a FPS that would be great. Should definitely have a nice Neo mode as well since Capcom is partnered up with Sony.

Wait, so can someone please fill me in? Why does the family man look insanely more impressive here( and i mean generational deep down character model/lighting difference) than the demo that was released? And the game is also 60fps...what is this? Neo spec models?

bryanee

The point is they are seemingly incapable of not giving a female model a pronounced butt.

Bah its not that pronounced. Barely anything to it from the side shot.

As for the game I cant wait to see more and to play it in January. Maybe more videos at TGS along with some RE2make maybe?

Dusk Golem

Wait, so can someone please fill me in? Why does the family man look insanely more impressive here( and i mean generational deep down character model/lighting difference) than the demo that was released? And the game is also 60fps...what is this? Neo spec models?

Dusk Golem said it will run at 60fps on all platforms. That means it probably won't look too hot on PS4 and Xbox One. PC should look great and Neo mode will probably will too. Also the demo was from an older build of the engine.

Yes, they said their goal was to run 60fps on consoles and the Beginning Hour demo did indeed run at 60fps. Someone probably noticed this as well, but certain doors load up the area when you open them, everything for a split second looks super low quality, then it forms it details before the door is fully open. I think what the RE Engine does is it tries to optimize at 60fps with the hardware its working on while maintaining that frame rate. So this is a case for consoles where some graphical niceness is sacrificed for performance, but it still looks pretty good all things considered.

But if I understand how the RE Engine handles optimization and loading correctly, then that would mean on a good PC the game could look potentially amazing, especially as Capcom keeps on releasing really nice looking shots of everything they show off, but it looks a bit worse in gameplay, but all the gameplay we've seen so far is running on the PS4, so I think what we see is what it'll look like on PS4, but to keep in mind it's also running at 60fps on PS4.

Well, one thing to keep in mind is the Beginning Hour was made earlieri n development of RE7, so it wasn't the final version of the game they were working with. The second thing is what I'm talking about above, the RE Engine I think optimizes its graphics to push 60fps performance.

Do you think they would put in the work to make the Neo version look great? Considering they are partnering with Sony for VR I would hope so.

Dusk Golem

ethomaz

Banned
Demo was made separated from the main game using a really early version of REngine... the main game is supposed to be better.

Dusk Golem

Neoxon

Good shit, Capcom. I'm curious to see if the RE Engine will overtake Panta Rhei as the MT Framework successor going forward.

That new 3D scanning recording studio may come to use for DMC5.

Astral Dog

So
-

-

-3D modelist still on board for the project, since there are certain aspects the system has difficulty with, like hair, and having fantastical elements are also important, so there will be need still of 3D modelist in the near future. This isn't a method to get rid of them.
Thank God.
Sounds fun otherwise
Good shit, Capcom. I'm curious to see if the RE Engine will overtake Panta Rhei as the MT Framework successor going forward.

That new 3D scanning recording studio may come to use for DMC5.
I hope not DMC needs more fantastical and stylistic environments/monstets not neccessarily realistic ones

depths20XX

The point is they are seemingly incapable of not giving a female model a pronounced butt. The only recent example I can think of based on memory is Claire in RE:Revelations 2.

Well at least the PC version will look good. Can't argue with 60fps though.

Doesn't look overly pronounced to me. It's a butt...they are inherently pronounced.

3089104-re7_finger.jpg

In the most recent interview, when talking about their marketing, he says demos, as in plural. At TGS, it is confirmed that Resident Evil 7 will be there, and will have a stage performance that will be live-streamed to the world. They say there will be a new trailer, and mention, "There will be a new demo Japanese gamers get to play first." Which implies the demo would be available outside of Japan after that, AND TGS is in September. AND NOTICE, the Finger is pointing to the dates of TGS. September 14th/15th, which is when TGS is happening. Them releasing a second demo for RE7 alongside TGS as they did with E3 is seeming likely.

I can't wait man.

Demo was made separated from the main game using a really early version of REngine... the main game is supposed to be better.

I'm completely floored if even the neo version can have character models looking as good as this: Very dense with detail...i mean some have hair straight out of cg renders?

img-2599_sh5d.1280.jpg

img-2600_1dtn.1280.jpg

img-2517_46uf.1280.jpg

img-2605_dujs.1280.jpg

amazing, it really takes me back to the panta rhei engine unveil and its crazy expectations.

ps_47rvrix.jpg

Crossing Eden

Doesn't look overly pronounced to me. It's a butt...they are inherently pronounced.
As a person with a nice butt, it's quite easy to not wear outfits that constantly make my butt pronounced, actually, as a artist, it's not super difficult to not do that as well. :)

Sooooo this doesn't look like some cheap indie walking simulator anymore guys. Can I start getting excited for what probably the first honest to goodness true AAA vr experience? Without people preemptively shitting all over it?

Gbraga

That's actually really impressive. I was under the impression that the game would have a lower budget, considering Capcom's apparent situation.

I guess RE is still a franchise they can safely invest a decent amount of money in.

I'm completely floored if even the neo version can have character models looking as good as this: Very dense with detail...i mean some have hair straight out of cg renders?

img-2599_sh5d.1280.jpg

img-2600_1dtn.1280.jpg

img-2517_46uf.1280.jpg

img-2605_dujs.1280.jpg

amazing, it really takes me back to the panta rhei engine unveil and its crazy expectations.

ps_47rvrix.jpg

That doesn't even look better than Uncharted 4.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I actually appreciate that Capcom does this. Japanese developers seemingly don't put as much stock into their butts as their western counterparts.

Look at Quiet or Lightning. Pancakes! Even DOA which is supposed to be good at that type of thing was lacking butts for the longest time. Some would say it still does.

So all the footage released so far is actually from a ps4? At 60fps? It looks amazing, and I don't doubt consoles can produce those visuals given some of the games released so far, but it's hard to believe it looks like that running at something above 30fps.

Top Bottom