• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Speculation] AMD & NVIDIA may forgo 10nm GPUs entirely

E-Cat

UPDATE 1:
The 10nm node is expected to be a short lived one, created in large part for Apple’s iPhone 8. It sports twice the gate density, and either 10 percent higher speed or 25 percent less power than the 16nm node, TSMC said.

---

DISCLAIMER: This analysis is mostly based off of my own intuition from reading various investor briefings. Also, I realize that TSMC is not the only foundry and that AMD have thus far used GloFo's 14nm due to their contractual obligations. However, I have included some ASML remarks, which it should be clear that they have wider reaching implications for the whole industry. After all, they make the machines that the foundries use to make their machines. Anyway, I actually hope to be proven wrong on this theory and will continue to update the OP as relevant information becomes available.

There is a precedent from recent history, i.e., the 20/16nm situation, where we were stuck on 28nm for 4 years and 4 months before NVIDIA launched the GTX 1080 in May. 20nm was the last planar node before FinFET, and for good reason, as there was a lack of power scaling to match the increased transistor density; thus, raising TDP and voltage issues that made 20nm GPUs a non-starter.

Conversely, the issue with 10nm may not have to do with the underlying technology: http://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/ir/quarterly/2015/3C2bO/E/TSMC 3Q15 transcript.pdf
TSMC said:
"This technology [10nm] has a logic density of 2.1 times of its previous generation, that's 16 FinFET Plus, with performance of 20% enhancement or a power consumption reduction of 40%."

Indeed, the node appears very much in line with your typical power and density requirements for a Moore's law like progression.

So why bring up 20/16nm? Well, it turns out there are some similarities. Just as the 16nm manufacturing technologies utilized the same planar back-end interconnect originally designed for 20nm, TSMC are planning to leverage the 10nm tool compatibility and maturity from volume production with the 7nm process; essentially treating the 10/7nm dependence analogously to 20/16nm: http://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/ir/quarterly/2016/1yk4i/E/TSMC 1Q16 transcript.pdf
TSMC said:
"Our 7-nanometer technology... is a further extension of N10 technology, with more than 60% in logic density gain and 30% to 40% reduction in power consumption. N7 fully leverages N10 learning and shares more than 95% of common tools."
Why is this important? One reason is that due to 95% of the equipment being used for 10nm being compatible with 7nm, the planned risk production for 7nm is able to commence only five quarters after 10nm--the typical time for such a transition being closer to two years. In other words, 10nm is going to be a very short-lived node in the echelon of nodes.

Being a small node means a limited number of wafers: http://seekingalpha.com/article/398...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

ASML said:
"But what we’re currently planning is that, like you pointed out, the 10 nanometer node is not a very large node. It will not entirely go away. The expectations for the 7 nanometer node are actually quite strong. So there is always going to be some level of reusage actually planned. We don’t think that percentage reuse is going to be anything significantly different than what we saw in the past".

"So it really depends on whether the installed capacity for the 10 nanometer node currently has enough customer base. And you have to remember, it is not a lot. The 10 nanometer installed by the end of this year, maximum 35,000, 40,000k, so that’s not a lot. So you have some big customers and you’re full and then everybody moves to 7, which will be different customers. So it’s difficult to say very customer specific, very specific to their customer base. And what we’re currently planning and also in our longer-term planning is that we don’t see as a major shift or a major impact of that reuse model going forward."

Having a limited wafer capacity means that the big customers at the top of the pecking order will gobble it all up. This means Apple, et al. They set up the cadence where new A1x chips are needed in volume for the new iPhone launch, which tends to be September. So that means volume ramp in the first half of the year, which means tapeout/risk production the year prior. The GPU companies get the scraps typically one year after the mobile manufacturers.

But now it's one year after and everybody's moving to 7nm! The production yield ramps are fantastic on the tried and tested tools, and wafer prices are plummeting. Meanwhile, the remaining 10nm capacity has dried up and is only used for some esoteric applications where the margin is irrelevant.

ASML said:
"As we know, the 10 nanometer ramp for foundry is, in fact, a part of a, let’s say, bigger logic node, what you call, the 10/7 nanometer node. So what we will see in 2017, the 7 nanometer node is expected to be as a strong and a large node. We expect that, in 2017, the continuation as almost a logical evolution from 10 nanometer into the 7 nanometer node to happen."
Knowing all this; if you're NVIDIA or AMD, do you even design an architecture for 10nm or skip straight to 7nm? We know that Volta is almost certainly going to be 16nm; Navi is a bigger question mark as it's coming in 2018 when you would expect to see 10nm, if ever. More likely it will be 7nm.

TSMC in their quarterly calls went from treating 10/7nm as a monolithic lump to relegating 10nm as a primarily 'mobile node'. Very telling: http://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/ir/quarterly/2015/4T5Um/E/TSMC 4Q15 transcript.pdf

TSMC said:
"These two technologies, 10-nanometer and 7-nanometer, will cover a very wide range of applications, including application processors for smartphone, high-end networking, advanced graphics, field-programmable gate array, game console, wearables and other consumer products".
<-- Notice the mention of 'game console'? Hmm, interesting. However, one quarter later: http://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/ir/quarterly/2016/1yk4i/E/TSMC 1Q16 transcript.pdf
TSMC said:
"Let me give you first on N10 update. We have received N10 customer product tape-out in 1Q 2016. We are actively preparing for more customer product tape-outs in the following quarters. Most of our N10 [=10nm] users are for mobile products. We will put this technology in production in two of TSMC's 12-inch giga-fabs. Those tape-outs will drive a sizable demand starting from 2Q 2017 through 2018."

"We have expanded our N7 design ecosystem development to include both mobile and high-performance computing, to enable our customers to deliver their first-to-market products. Our N7 adoption is very strong, with customers ranging from mobile GPU, game console, FPGA, network processors and other consumer product applications. We have more than 20 customers in intensive design engagement with us and expect to have 15 customer tape-outs in 2017. The volume production of N7 will start from first half 2018."
'Game console' now appears solely on 7nm. No mention of 'advanced graphics' or 'high-performance computing' on 10nm. By Q2, everything points to a graceful mass exodus: http://www.tsmc.com/uploadfile/ir/quarterly/2016/2izbs/E/TSMC 2Q16 transcript.pdf
TSMC said:
"Our 10-nanometer has been transferred from R&D to production. Our first 10-nanometer customer product has been produced with satisfactory functional yield. So far, three customer products have been taped out to us. More customer product tape-outs are expected later this year. Those product tape-outs will start a revenue stream starting first quarter 2017, which will ramp steeply throughout 2017."

"Our 7-nanometer technology development is well on track. Its 256-megabit SRAM yield improvement is ahead of our schedule. In addition, we believe our 7-nanometer PPA, that is power, performance and area density, with its schedule, is ahead of our competitors. This technology has been aggressively adopted, not only by mobile customers, but also by high-performance computing customers. They all have aggressive product tape-out plan in first half 2017, with volume production planned in early 2018."
tl;dr: 10nm is bound to be a small node as revealed by credible entities - reasonable to infer
that basically all the capacity will be spent fulfilling the mobile manufacturers' orders;
then, everybody rapidly moves on to 7nm which is tracking unusually close to 10nm with
excellent yield/power/density characteristics and is being aggressively adopted by
high-performance computing, mobile GPU and game console people.

Luigiv

The main being less power consumption and due to that, less heat. I'm sure there are more but I'll leave that to the experts.
Also increased transistor density, which means you can either fit the same number of transistors onto a smaller chip or fit more transistors onto the same size chip. Essensially node shrinks are the whole reason computers keep getting more powerful.

E-Cat

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the benefits of smaller nodes?

This kinda reads like a jeff_rigby thread...
Being able to fit twice as many transistors on a similar sized die and having lower thermals to be able to do that without the thing catching fire.

Carn82

in short
- smaller chips (usually same performance with lower power draw, or better performance with same power draw; next to other architectural improvements / features if its a new chip design)
- more chips per wafer (possible drop in price if it's current technology).

For example: PS4 slim might use a smaller GPU (original is based on 28nm). If the Slim-GPU is based on 14nm; they can produce more of the same processors at once; and they are smaller (more efficient) and cheaper to produce.

Bolivar687

Banned
Pretty great deduction OP, certainly aligns with other reports suggesting Navi will be a 7nm chip in 2018. I'd also expect the PS5 to come out then to combat Scorpio and might even be a multi-GPU console.

Transistor size. This is the basis of all semiconductors in existence, the transistor.

Smaller is better. Less heat. Less power requirements. More transistors per unit area. More performance.

Griss

I suppose in the 'I have no idea what he's talking about' stakes it's like a jeff_rigby thread - except that as I read through it it started making perfect sense rather than the other way round.

E-Cat

I suppose in the 'I have no idea what he's talking about' stakes it's like a jeff_rigby thread - except that as I read through it it started making perfect sense rather than the other way round.
High praise, indeed :p

E-Cat

According to PCPER guys 7nm is pure marketing right now....

https://youtu.be/1x-DMlROzX4?t=1h14m28s
This is true in the sense that what the foundries call their "7nm" is in no way comparable to Intel's nomenclature of 7nm, which even itself isn't really 7nm!

But none of that is relevant when it comes to the quantifiable advancements of a foundry's own lithographic processes relative to each other, which is the point of interest here.

The guy's essentially talking of a completely different thing. TSMC's "5nm" will actually use EUV and thus fulfill his requirement of what constitutes "Intel 7nm".

Reallink

Even Intel (long demonstrated to be YEARS ahead of other foundries) may very well fail to ship many (if any) 10nm chips in 2017. For TSMC and GF to ship 7nm in volume, you're talking 5 years, which is obviously very bad news for GPU's and consoles.

E-Cat

Even Intel (long demonstrated to be YEARS ahead of other foundries) may very well fail to ship many (if any) 10nm chips in 2017. For TSMC and GF to ship 7nm in volume, you're talking 5 years, which is obviously very bad news for GPU's and consoles.
The 10nm and 7nm lines use 95% identical equipment. If TSMC can ship 10nm silicon by next fall, which Apple is counting on for the A11 SoC, 7nm will almost certainly follow in 2018.

I would bet on a 7nm GPU by 2019.

Renekton

The TSMC briefings make it sound like 7nm is a small step away from 10nm, whereas sites like semiengineering say 7nm face a wide variety of hurdles.

Something is amiss unless TSMC's 7nm is just marketing.

AmFreak

I would be surprised if they didn't skip 10nm.
It's the same shrink as the skipped 28->20 one and it doesn't get easier.
That's also one of the reasons Sony and Ms are doing the upgrade thing now, the time doesn't matter much if the tech advancement isn't there.

Par Score

The thought if 7nm chips is mind blowing to me, they have shrunk so fast in the last 10 or so years.

Blows my mind that the PS2 for example was built on 250nm chips. 250!

Even something vaguely "current" like the 360 started on 90nm. Madness!

I feel like we are going to fast with shrinking nodes, soon we will hit a wall :/

I can't wait for us to hit that "wall", that's when things will get real crazy.

AmyS

So, 7nm (with much similarity to the 10nm node) for consoles.

This makes 2019 seem possible again, for the true successors to PS4 and Xbox One.

I guess I can see Microsoft releasing a console more powerful two years after Scorpio and assuming Sony release Neo this fall, the PS5 three years later. Both next gen consoles in 2019 before the turn of the decade. The other part of me is thinking fall 2020 would be better. Either way, 2019 or 2020, these next gen consoles could get mid gen upgrades on the 5nm EUV node.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They are going to be hitting the physical limit's of shrinkage in the next few decades, maybe not even that long and they're either going to have to make the tech we have as efficient as possible or figure out something new.

OmegaDL50

They are going to be hitting the physical limit's of shrinkage in the next few decades, maybe not even that long and they're either going to have to make the tech we have as efficient as possible or figure out something new.

It is interesting how fast things have progressed.

Maybe when they finally reach the limits of silicon, they can move on to chips made out of carbon nanofibers or even graphene.

Graphene itself is very durable and has a good conductivity. Not to mention a high heat resistance which make them ideal for computer electronics.

Dilly

Banned
We're pretty much already near the wall, it's not going to take decades. Processes are way more complicated than they used to be to shrink down.

Calm Mind

jumping-the-gun.jpg

E-Cat

I would be surprised if they didn't skip 10nm.
It's the same shrink as the skipped 28->20 one and it doesn't get easier.
Actually, 16->10nm is a bit more favorable than 28->20nm. 2.1x vs. 1.9x area scaling and 40% vs. 25% power reduction. Ideally, you'd want >50% power savings, but it's not non-doable, especially with a better architecture. 2.1x density improvement is quite remarkable actually, 28->16FF+ was 'only' around 2x.

I feel like we are going to fast with shrinking nodes, soon we will hit a wall :/

No worries - the only thing that actually goes fast is marketing departments inventing new names for nodes.

The whole skipping 10nm will probably be like 20nm skipping to 14/16

AmFreak

Actually, 16->10nm is a bit more favorable than 28->20nm. 2.1x vs. 1.9x area scaling and 40% vs. 25% power reduction. Ideally, you'd want >50% power savings, but it's not non-doable, especially with a better architecture. 2.1x density improvement is quite remarkable actually, 28->16FF+ was 'only' around 2x.

TSMC is 16nm, GF is 14nm.
Current Radeon's are made by GF.

So sounds like next year mostly rebadge GPUs? Maybe with HBM2 finally.

Then the next real jump would be late 2018 or maybe 2019.

SURGEdude

If 7nm is as easy to adapt from 10nm as has been stated then it seems like a no brainer. No point in even going through sampling and redrafts to hit a target with only half a year of viability. Maybe it's worth it for nVidia, but AMD needs to think about design wins, not 6 month crowns.

Mivey

If 7nm is as easy to adapt from 10nm as has been stated then it seems like a no brainer. No point in even going through sampling and redrafts to hit a target with only half a year of viability. Maybe it's worth it for nVidia, but AMD needs to think about design wins, not 6 month crowns.
More like they have to stick with theirs for far longer, since they don't have Nvidias R&D budget.

KevinRo

Samsung is already doing trail runs for 7nm this year. I think the roadmap for TSMC is for 5nm by 2020. Honestly, how you mention GF, which licenses Samsung's process, in a thread and not Samsung is beyond me.

SURGEdude

More like they have to stick with theirs for far longer, since they don't have Nvidias R&D budget.

That has been the case sure. But it's been mostly down to the fabs they've had available. I don't see it being an issue here. 10nm just seems dumb for them. And nVidia has the cash and culture of producing niche prestige products, which makes them more likely to design around a soon to be outdated process just for the bragging rights.

AMD would be insane not to target something that will have a longer term presence. They can't afford a few months of fabrication node superiority with a huge price tag attached.

ZoyosJD

No worries - the only thing that actually goes fast is marketing departments inventing new names for nodes.

The whole skipping 10nm will probably be like 20nm skipping to 14/16

There is plenty of reason to worry. The reason 20 nm (2D planar) was skipped was because it was not feasible. Foundries had to transition to a entirely new process (3D finFETs) that was the implementation of a rather novel change (essentially standing the transistors upright).

If 7/10 nm is as much a problem with finFETs as 20 was with planar, we are going to have a much harder time overcoming the issues because we won't have the leniency to just rotate our transistors into another dimension.

This was a problem largely related to the final output quality of the chips produced. We are also likely expecting issues with the transition to EUV manufacturing which is in itself another subset of problems that may also be more difficult to overcome than the 14/16 nm solution.

I'm currently expecting each node below 7 nm to be a wall of it's own requiring new unique solutions and long transition times.

E-Cat

Samsung is already doing trail runs for 7nm this year. I think the roadmap for TSMC is for 5nm by 2020. Honestly, how you mention GF, which licenses Samsung's process, in a thread and not Samsung is beyond me.
The reason is very simple: AMD's hand was forced this gen selecting GloFo's process in order to fill their contractual quota; an arrangement that will presently continue until 2020 like an angry ex-wife sucking you dry. Whether they would've gone for it from a purely technological standpoint, well, that's debatable in the very least.

Maybe the landscape is changing and NVIDIA will use Samsung's tech in the future. Perhaps GF will go at it alone on 7nm with the IBM Microelectronics acquisition. Even Intel is now getting into the foundry business with the ARM licensing deal...

Honestly, the OP is big enough as is just focusing on TSMC--which still makes the overwhelming majority of all GPUs.

AmyS

Bump for relevant news.

TSMC, GF/Samsung Battle at 7nm
Intel may take back seat to foundries
10/21/2016

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330657
SAN JOSE, Calif. — TSMC will go head-to-head with the partnership of IBM, Globalfoundries and Samsung to publicly detail rival 7nm processes at a technical conference in December. The trio’s process will use extreme ultraviolet lithography to achieve impressive gains, but TSMC likely will get to market first due to challenges getting EUV into production.

Using EUV, GF and Samsung claim they will deliver “the tightest contacted polysilicon pitch (44/48nm) and metallization pitch (36nm) ever reported for FinFETs,” in an abstract for the International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM).

The pitches leapfrog the 56nm gate pitch Intel announced in August for its 10nm process, claiming industry-leading density for the node it aims to have in production next year. Observers have started to suggest both TSMC and Samsung might leapfrog Intel which has slowed the pace of releasing new process technologies as progress in Moore’s law becomes more complex and costly.

For its part, TSMC will describe at IEDM a 0.027µm2 SRAM test cell made in its 7nm process using immersion steppers. The 256-Mbit, six-transistor SRAM has the smallest cell size reported to date, TSMC claimed, and sports “full read/write functionality down to 0.5V,” it added.

The abstract echoed claims for the 7nm node that TSMC first made at an event here in September. The process will deliver “more than three times the gate density and either a speed gain (35-40%) or power reduction (>65%) versus the company’s commercial 16nm FinFET process,” the abstract said.

“IEDM is clearly the coming out party for 7nm,” said G. Dan Hutcheson, president of VLSI Research. “The key message is Moore’s law is not stopping because customers are moving to 7nm," he said.

On Monday when Samsung announced its 10nm process, it said it would skip a version of 7nm using today’s immersion lithography. Instead it said it will roll out 7nm with EUV targeting production before the end of 2018. For its part, TSMC said it will have at least limited production in 2017 for its 7nm process with immersion steppers.

The net result is in the course of 18 months chip designers will see at least three variants of 7nm -- separate immersion variants from TSMC and Globalfoundries and the EUV version from GF/Samsung. Intel has yet to detail its 7nm node, but said it expects density to rise and cost per transistor to fall.

To speed signaling, the GF/Samsung 7nm process will use “dual-strained channels on a thick strain-relaxed buffer virtual substrate to combine tensile-strained NMOS and compressively strained SiGe PMOS for enhancement of drive current by 11% and 20%, respectively,” its abstract said. The approach uses a “novel trench epitaxy to minimize the resistance of the highly scaled contact regions,” it added.

In September, GF said it developed its own 7nm process using immersion steppers that will be in production in 2018. It did not mention it was still collaborating with Samsung on the EUV version. The 7nm immersion process will have a logic density of 17 million gates/mm2, a spokeswoman said.

The TSMC 7nm process uses “a raised source/drain epitaxial process that strains the transistor channel and reduces parasitics, a novel contact process, and a copper/low-k interconnect scheme featuring different metal pitches and stacks,” the abstract said.

The race of Moore’s law narrows
The news comes at a time of intense but narrowing competition among chip makers. The dynamics of the latest turns suggest TSMC and GF/Samsung will pull ahead of Intel, the world’s largest chip maker and long the leader in process technology.

TSMC has wrested from Samsung much of the high-volume business making leading-edge SoCs for Apple’s iPhone 7. Samsung countered by grabbing much of TSMC’s business making competing Snapdragon chips from Qualcomm.

The annual cadence of new high-end smartphones from Apple, Samsung and others has driven foundries to turn the crank on new nodes faster than ever. “TSMC has been aiming at a one-year cadence, but whether it blows up or not is the question,” Hutcheson said.

Only a handful of companies are expected to be able to continue to afford pursuing Moore’s law in the near term. The EUV systems needed at or beyond the 7nm node will cost more than $100 million.

EUV still lags requirements of mass production in wafer throughput, defect density and reliability, but Hutcheson expects the issues can be resolved in the next two years.

“EUV is already production worthy compared to quad patterning,” Hutcheson said. Over the next two years the systems will be tested in fabs to make it manufacturing worthy, he said.

Samsung has a strategic opportunity to lead other major foundries because it can test EUV in memory as well as logic fabs, potentially accelerating its learning, he added.
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330657&page_number=2

I'm hoping this bodes well for next generation consoles (PS5, XboxNext) on 7nm in 2020-2021.

Top Bottom