• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm more sick of people complaining of "PC Culture" then PC Culture at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archurro

Seriously, specifically on GAF at times, I've read more mindless drivel from people complaining about "PC Culture" than annoyances actually spawned from "PC Culture". I'm of the mind that "PC Culture" in some cases stifles discussion and healthy dialogue. It isn't exactly a two-sided issue considering the nebulous definition of "PC Culture," but that doesn't really matter the when the only complaint of PC Culture is the strawman-esque arguement of "people need to stop being coddled." As someone who went to an fairly liberal college(I graduated a year ago), this obsession with "PC Culture" baffles me considering PC Culture was a non-issue for me or anyone I knew.

Let me just leave this to anyone who feels compelled to complain about "PC Culture":
Considering the concepts of safe-spaces, trigger warnings, etc. are mostly used within insular communities, I doubt this shit affects your physical, day-to-day life. So I don't need your constant option on something that has probably never affected your life or any community you're involved with. Thanks, and have a good day.

sphagnum

Banned
It's funny how the people who complain the most about political correctness get triggered so easily, have their own safe spaces (4chan, MyPostingCareer, etc.), and subscribe to (white) identity politics.

Fhtagn

It's funny how the people who complain the most about political correctness get triggered so easily, have their own safe spaces (4chan, MyPostingCareer, etc.), and subscribe to (white) identity politics.

Like the alt right claims to hate PC but then they use a PC term like alt right instead of just saying white supremacist...

On the one hand, no, people don't need to be cuddled, and need to come into contact with opposing viewpoints.
On the other, if you're a dick, it should be known that you're being a dick, and all which that entails.

outrage culture is not exclusive to the Far-Left college Liberals.

outrage culture has always existed in Religiousio people

outrage cutlure exists big league in Conservativia.

The reactions towards Collin Kaepernick demonstrates how thin skinned Conservativia can be "oh my God! Pig socks!!!"

LOL! outrage over socks

Jzero

Is GAF safe space now?

GAF is usually very PC. Just look at the sombrero thread where non-Mexicans were getting offended more than actual Mexicans.
Gaffers get triggered if you use the term SJW even when the term is extremely relevant (Hawaiian bobble head girl)

On the one hand, no, people don't need to be cuddled, and need to come into contact with opposing viewpoints.
On the other, if you're a dick, it should be known that you're being a dick, and all which that entails.

Agreed.

Amalthea

Banned
Too bad the right of free expression doesn't just count for the people who spew shit.

The irony is that it's whole anti-PC crowd who would kill the right for free speech as soon as they could. Just look at Trump.

They basically just directly admit that they do not only accept any differing opinions but also loose their cool instantly when confronted with them.

But when do you become sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of people being sick of PC Culture?

Oddish1

GAF is usually very PC. Just look at the sombrero thread where non-Mexicans were getting offended more than actual Mexicans.
Gaffers get triggered if you use the term SJW even when the term is extremely relevant (Hawaiian bobble head girl)

Do you mean "triggered" literally, or has the word devolved into just some synonym of "slightly annoyed"?

I sincerely doubt that the usage of SJW has caused anyone on GAF to forcefully relive a traumatic experience due to some past event.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll be honest, for some reason the whole OP I thought we were talking PC Culture as in PC Gamers or something, and was confused. It was the first reply that clued me in PC meant Political Correctness.

Jzero

Do you mean "triggered" literally, or has the word devolved into just some synonym of "slightly annoyed"?

I sincerely doubt that the usage of SJW has caused anyone on GAF to forcefully relive a traumatic experience due to some past event.

I've never heard anyone on the internet use trigger in its literal form.

Juicy Bob

Yeah. There's something very backwards about some people getting more offended by the fact that others are offended by things that they say than they are about a lot of serious issues and injustices in society.

In a related note, if only some of us were more passionate and were prepared to put the same energy into highlighting social injustice as we do gaming controversies like No Man's Sky. We have very strange priorities as a species at times.

Oddish1

I've mostly seen it used on the internet to belittle "the SJWs" and silence criticism to, ironically, create their own safe spaces away from ideas that make them uncomfortable.

So you can understand how your use of it stuck out to me.

ZiZ

4chan is a safe space? That community is toxic even to its own members.

Clessidor

I think the problem is, people love it to complain when there is something they don't understand/ aren't into.
Those people complaining about political correctnes mostly only look at them on the surface and never dig into it. They barely go into a discussion and prefer to share the information so negative as possible.
At least that is what I'm feeling.

Nah I see the term trigger warning used from time to time the way you use it. Just when people talk about "getting triggered" it's mostly used different.

KDR_11k

I'm thinking that a lot of people who complain about "PC culture" assume that everybody is secretly agreeing with them and political correctness is all that prevents those people from saying so.

When political correctness means stemming the spread of racist/prejudiced bullshit, I'm all for it. When it means censoring, say, a Mark Twain novel or something that gives a similarly valuable perspective on widespread prejudice past and/or present, it does bother me.

PC culture is ruining everything. They complain about everything. They call themselves BLACK now?! I thought it was African American! I can't keep up! Why is it so hard?! Political correctness is censoring our lives. Where's a place where I can bitch about it without repercussion?

Always cowardly, always hilarious.

Liberty4all

Banned
The easiest way to avoid complaints of PC is to subsribe to different communities. For example I post here and have done so since 2005 or so. While I love some aspects of OT (epic threads with Lionel for example) I basically avoid all political threads.

When I want my right wing fix I head to /r/The_Donald, Drudge Report, etc

Basically it feels like everywhere (both left and right communities) have become echo chambers and the only way to get a balanced view point is to jump from the hardcore left to the hardcore right discussion boards.

I actually don't know anymore where to find balanced discussion on the Internet. Does anyone know of good forums where left and right can discuss without mob jumpings?

Griss

While I agree that anti-PC people have their own 'safe-spaces' too, it should be noted that 4chan isn't a safe space for anyone. If liberal 'SJWs' wanted to go there and take it over entirely or shitpost to their hearts' content they absolutely could. You wouldn't get banned or have your posts deleted. People there would have to deal with them. That's kind of the point of sites like 4chan. Extreme bastions of free speech of every stripe, no matter how extreme or repulsive. But definitely NOT a safe space, for anyone - including the 'alt-right'.

I've always liked 4chan, because it was a containment pen for the nastier impulses of online society, and you only wen there if you were willing to interface with that. It was just trolls trolling trolls etc. I don't use twitter or facebook but according to GAF those nasty impulses now run riot across all these sites anyway. That's a shame.

Political correctness is ruining this country, I miss when I could openly disparage homosexuals, blacks, transgender people, women, etc. without anyone caring!!!!

latest

EVOL 100%

I'm 'PC' as hell and I do think that people who express blatantly hateful shit deserve all the shit they do, but I'm also of the position that outrage culture exists and is a poison on intelligent conversation

It's nice to vent about how fucked up shit is, and I do think trigger warnings and what not should exist but yelling at people who make innocuous comments questions due to coming from a position of ignorance doesn't accomplish anything, pragmatically speaking.

The end goal of 'PC' culture should be about getting more people on the same side

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Safe spaces and trigger warnings have lost their original intention and meaning, and have morphed into a very social media-based phenomenon that has crept to more mainstream outlets.

It's the "hipster," or "millennial," of the myriad of discussions around social issues such as consent, trauma, mental health, sexuality etc.

I don't even know what 'Political Correctness' means half the time when people complain about it. Like you'll see people rant about "PC culture" when talking about a personal video game review. Like what's that person's personal opinion on something got to do with political correctness?

Neo C.

PC isn't the problem, but the outrage culture is. From an outsider perspective, everything in the US is extremely outrageous. I guess that's what you get with your kind of media.

I don't even know what 'Political Correctness' means half the time when people complain about it. Like you'll see people rant about "PC culture" when talking about a personal video game review. Like what's that person's personal opinion on something got to do with political correctness?

It's basically a scapegoat term to describe opinions or views they don't share. Reviewer mentions a scantly clad female npc being a bit silly--PC Culture strikes again. Don't think we should have people being brutally murdered on television--PC Culture strikes again. Don't think a Presidential candidate should get away with saying that black people or mexicans are the root cause of all America's problems--PC as fuck. It's basically a way of saying "I don't like that people dislike my opinions or beliefs, but I'm too much of a coward to defend my antiquated and/or toxic opinions or beliefs."

You know what my main problem with the current outrage/PC culture is?

It's so damned difficult to make fun of.

Now I'm a great believer in one of the fundamental rules of comedy being that you should always punch upwards. Mocking those with power who abuse it is hilarious, mocking those without power and get victimised for it is monstrous.

But, thanks to the Internet, social media and pressure groups, most those who previously had no power and were the victims themselves are suddenly hugely influential, and just as prone to knee-jerk, stupid and damaging actions as any other group with the power to alter lives without taking into concideration the impact or justification first.

Hell, over reaction/PC culture in general is rife with bullshit and silliness, even when coming from a place of compassion and empathy, because that's the nature of humans generally, but it's so hard to take the piss out of it without sounding like you're mocking the people behind it.

Klyka

Banned

I never thought in my life I would see 4chan described as a "safe space" :D

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

A lot of people who complain about PC culture don't know what PC means.

Hence the often ironic actions of these people.

KRod-57

Banned
I hear ya, when I see comedians like Jerry Seinfeld, Louis CK, or Chris Rock complain about PC culture, I get them. I think when it comes to humor it is okay to be politically incorrect sometimes, the main principle of a joke is it is not intended to be taken seriously, nor should it be (not to say there is never ill-intentioned humor that should be condemned)

..but then I hear other people apply the anti-PC argument to politics... and I'm just thinking "uhh.. shouldn't politics of all things be politically correct?"

It's one thing to say a joke shouldn't have to be politically correct, it's another to say a political platform shouldn't have to be politically correct.

8T5HZLY.jpg

RJT

Against all my prior beliefs, the Internet made the world a worst place. People's reactions are more anti things than pro things. People being sick of things. People being against PC. People are against Hillary, against Trump, against religion, against atheists. If anything, I'm sick of people being sick of things. And then I feel sick with myself, because I'm doing it too.

besada

Banned
I think a lot of people complain about a lot of things that aren't very important. I also think most of what we regard as outrage or controversy, is really just people having conversations about things. We live in a time where global broadcast and publication have become completely democratized, and so ubiquitous that we now publish and broadcast everything, from the most important to the the most trivial. And people are terrible at differentiating emotional states of other writers on the internet, so we often see a bunch of people talking about something and conflate it as a big deal, when it's really just a slow Monday and there's nothing else to talk about while we avoid work.

I think it's fine for people to talk about whatever they want. I think those of us reading might try and consider that what's being discussed isn't worth the time and effort, and instead of barging in and shouting that angrily, just ignore it and go on with your life. Someone, somewhere is saying something terrible right now. The question, for me, is whether that's going to have any sort of larger effect that's worth discussing, or is the person just a dumbass whose brain stopped working for a little bit. Everyone makes their own call on that sort of thing, but most of us have been trained by the media to believe if we see a thing broadcast or published, that it contains some importance. Anyone who's every looked through youtube knows that's not true, but it's still our first instinct, to grant importance to that which has been widely distributed. It's a habit we need to learn to break, because it is no longer true.

That opinion, by the way, is a general one. It is not necessarily the way something like a forum works. This is a place to discuss any sort of topic. Anyone who is a member can start a thread. Once started, your options are discuss the topic or stay out of the thread. Ranting about how pointless the thread is will get you banned.

Against all my prior beliefs, the Internet made the world a worst place. People's reactions are more anti things than pro things. People being sick of things. People being against PC. People are against Hillary, against Trump, against religion, against atheists. If anything, I'm sick of people being sick of things. And then I feel sick with myself, because I'm doing it too.

This is so false.

The world is not worse for anyone on average who isn't white straight or a dude.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm really just frustrated with both in different ways.

On the one hand I think there is a consistent value in changing societal norms toward a more inclusive and progressive ideal. Something liberalism has played a heavy role in during modern times... On the other hand I am not happy about the growing borderline authoritarian methods and aversion toward classic liberal notions of free expression and debate. That has made more and more popular the notion that subjective objections to certain types of speech justifies despotic responses.

My issue with the right though is they only make appeals to freedom of expression when it serves their idealogical goals of framing the left as irrational intellectual tyrants. Otherwise they are almost constantly engaged in that type of behavior themselves. Toward their own and toward anyone else. Basically as their default.

A Fish Aficionado

Welcome to humanity. At least we aren't in WWI or WWII.

We are so much better. Violence and hunger has gone down exponentially.

Thanks to the Green Revolutionary, most countries aren't starved, and Malthusian constraints have been proven false.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is so false.

The world is not worse for anyone on average who isn't white straight or a dude.
Welcome to humanity. At least we aren't in WWI or WWII.

We are so much better. Violence and hunger has gone down exponentially.

Thanks to the Green Revolutionary, most countries aren't starved, and Malthusian constraints have been proven false.
But the internet made things more annoying to me! Therefore the world is a "worst place". lol

MrBadger

Yesterday I found myself in a Reddit thread about some MTG player getting in trouble for asking a girl they didn't know if he could "cop a feel". The comments were full of people moaning about PC culture and SJW's, and one individual complains about how people have to "walk on eggshells" to avoid getting in trouble. I swear these people have had no social interaction outside of text on a screen

besada

Banned
It was like that before the internet, too. You just couldn't hear it. The financial bar to publish and broadcast was such that you only heard things that were important or going to make someone a profit. Now you can hear and see everything, all the time. And everyone, including you and me, are contributing to the cacophony.

A Fish Aficionado

Profiting of an opinion isn't quite having the opinion made public.
YouTube will host your opinion.

Robot Pants

"PC culture..... We need PC culture...."
521186.jpg

You could play a drinking game to the amount of times PC culture is said in the OP, and be dead in minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom