• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was just told the PS4 Neo is releasing next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[EDIT] Sorry for upsetting people, I guess I should take what game store people, however high up, with a pinch of salt.

I apologise if threads like these aren't allowed, and please lock if so, (I normally wouldn't care what random GAME store managers say), but the reason why I'm making it is because of the way he said it.

Basically I walked into GAME in Coventry (he says he's the manager although I wouldn't know for sure since I don't actually live in cov), and over heard him talking with a customer about a slim, and said "I don't know - I guess you'll find out tonight" tongue in cheek, when I asked him about the other model, he said "the Neo? That isn't releasing until next year mate." I just thought it's weird why he'd lie and not say I don't know like he just did with the Slim question.

The way he said it also took me by surprise -- he wasn't some random clerk, and was the manager of the store, and he was mentioning how their CEO is going to the meeting in NYC tonight, which I know isn't the most solid info, but again why would he lie? He didn't strike me as the type who would garner pleasure from that sort of stuff - he was pretty old too, but again I appreciate that all these facts wouldn't necessarily stop him from lying.

I apologise if this thread was a waste of time as I know GameStop and similar retail store people aren't always reliable, but I never actually phoned them up, he just said it im a matter of factly manner.

I guess we will find out tonight - just surprising as I thought it was all but confirmed this year? Not that I believe him -- just found it interesting.

Caayn

We'll know in a few hours, and there's a fortress thread about Neo/PS meeting.

Retail personal aren't the most reliable sources.

black-kid-crying.gif

Xater

I apologise if this thread was a waste of time as I know GameStop and similar retail store people aren't always reliable, but I never actually phones them up, but yeah, he just said it on a matter of factly.

People that work in game stores say all kinds of things with the greatest confidence despite knowing jack shit.

I've thought releasing Neo this year when Sony already has Slim and VR coming out was ambitious and difficult from a marketing/brand perspective, so my prediction has always been early 2017.

Listening to the wisdom of game store workers. That was your first mistake.

It may well not come out until next year, but that guy has zero inside knowledge to confirm it. He was probably trying to sell that customer a WiiU. As though he was having a power lunch with the GAME CEO yesterday and then telling some random person all about it.

Piccoro

I also believe Neo is releasing in 2017. The news about releasing now are just rumors.
I mean, why was Slim leaked and Neo is nowhere to be seen?...

RoKKeR

It wouldn't surprise if this was the casee, considering how quiet the leaks regarding the Neo have gotten since E3.

We know the Slim is coming out soon... (probably today) We will see!

Honestly I've been thinking about this today.

I just don't think it makes sense to release it this year. I believe they will have increased the specs of the box since the leak and will be pushing it out spring next year. With PSVR and PS slim out for the holidays, I think it would be too convoluted.

Then again, I can understand wanting to drop it before christmas.

my main thing for me is If the foxconn drawings leak are correct they're manufacturing them now, theres no way they'd be holding stock for 4-6 months before selling, has to be this year.

Thabass

Basically I walked into GAME

Stopped reading here. Stop relying on retail stores for these types of things. If it hasn't been announced by the manufacturer, then they don't know anymore than you do.

Sheroking

It would be almost 2006-level misguided by Sony to release PS4 Slim, PSVR and PS4 Neo in the same year.

It would pretty much guarantee that something wouldn't sell.

Like this isn't completely unbelievable, but game retail employees say nonsense all the time, with absolute confidence.

Also why would the manager know the goings on of the CEO of the company?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I once overheard a manager in Gamestop telling a woman that the PS4 could play PS3 disks. Don't take the word of random videogame store person like it holds any water, especially about an unannounced console.

pelican

GAME employees tend to have no product knowledge and launch details for the NEO will be NDA'd by retailers. I have heard lots of nonsense while randomly browsing in game, including the recent classic that the only Xbox S launching this year is the Gears Ltd Edition.

Even if it does launch next year this guy still doesn't know and this is pure hot air guess work to sound informed.

Sanctuary

not surprised if true.

It's actually what I am expecting. It also doesn't really affect me all that much aside from having to wait another month or two (probably) to play FFXV. Mostly getting the system for Horizon and a few other games that won't be out until next year or 2018 anyway. And because I need a UHD player.

beat me to it

anyone can be a manager of a garbage retail store dude

Anyone can also be an online forum super-sleuth that believes rumors as facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom