• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4's will receive HDR upgrade via firmware

tumblr_nqbzoyUuaR1u8kos7o1_500.gif

What the fuck is HDR? It shares an acronym with that one image effect that's been in gaming as far back as Half Life 2: Lost Coast.

HDR is about color... not resolution.

Even 720p resolution will benefit with HDR (if have any 720p display with HDR support).

I'll admit that I haven't followed any of this tech at all, so can you elaborate a bit? How do I know if my TV supports HDR? Is it only newer models or will some older models support it?

pottuvoi

Banned
What the fuck is HDR? It shares an acronym with that one image effect that's been in gaming as far back as Half Life 2: Lost Coast.
Think ~4x times the brightness range available for an image without obvious banding of colors.

In HL2 and almost every game after that the HDR means that game is rendered with huge dynamic range of light. (Pre HL2 we rendered using 256 values for brightness with HDR we have thousands to millions.)

That range is reduced to 256 values for display on normal TV.
On HDR TV it's reduced to ~1024 values in 4x range in terms of brightness.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So the question is now, will I have the same advantages in lets say Days Gone By that were showcased on Pro Hardware?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
People, HDR and UHD BD are not synonyms. Considering House specified HDR but said nothing of support for 4K content, and both were the focus of the presentation, the logical conclusion is actually that retroactive UHD BD support isn't happening.

IvanJ

Banned
So, this update is completely useless for me and my €200 Grundig.

Which leads me to think the update will probably brick my console.

EvB

HDR is about color... not resolution.

Even 720p resolution will benefit with HDR (if have any 720p display with HDR support).

No It, isn't HDR is about peak brightness.
WCG (Wide Colour Gamut) or Deep Colour is about colour.

These things combined are what form the HDR stadards (HDR10, Dolby Vision) however, they can both exist separetly from each other.

PS3 support Deep colour for example.
All assets need to be in 10bit colour in order to take advantage of a wider colour gamut, but this requires increased bandwidth and 20% more storage vs an 8bit file

Top Bottom