• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

Ridley327

The real kicker is that streaming 4K looks like garbage for most consumers currently. UHD Blurays can make you say "oh, this is MUCH better than 1080p".

Yeah, streaming 4K is still operating at a lower bitrate than your average Blu-ray disc. It's crazy that they would forgo the UHD player here when the format needs all the help it can get.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Are you serious right now? Please go outside of GAF for once.

Outside of GAF? I'm not seeing a reason for anybody with a PS4 outside of GAF to upgrade to this thing.

//DEVIL//

man. I think Sony fucked up with the Pro big time. no wonder the conference isn't even event. looked like big meeting room.

project scorpio will eat this alive :/ and I don't even own the original xbox one anymore. thanks to the powerful pc gaming. but technology wise, yeah Pro is a goner

I really hope they can support it via software update. it doesn't even make sense. been talking at 4k for like an hour. and doesn't play 4k Blue Ray ?

ShOcKwAvE

Man 4K and HDR can go fuck themselves. If you want 4K games go play on PS4 Pro. If you want 4K Blu-ray go get a stupid expensive player or an XBO S, but don't expect to play 4K games on that. If you want HDR stick with a normal PS4, but if you want 4K AND HDR better get the Pro, but not Blu-rays, so get the S for that. But if you want HDR10 you can get a Samsung 4K TV, but if you want DolbyVision you better get a Vizio. And if you want HDR games but not crappy input lag you better wait at least another year.

Or maybe fuck all of it?

That's kinda how...every product ever works. Companies try to offer features that people want, but for a price that will attract enough customers. They can't all make the same stuff.

jackdoe

Does this mean it doesn't support HDR as well? HDR is a necessary part of UHD 4K Blu-ray. If it doesn't do that why have HDR?

It is a strange decision as I'm not even sure if Sony have a 4K Blu-ray player out at the moment.
Hmm, you're right. Looking at Sony's product page, the closest to a 4K Blu-Ray player that they have is a 4K Upscaling Blu-Ray player. Their electronics division doesn't seem to give a fuck about UHD Blu-Rays.

Streaming bitrates aren't such that Netflix and YouTube would at all be a replacement for a proper 4K Blu-ray. This is crazy stupid

Shitty. I have quite a few friends and family who were just about to jump on the pro if it had a uhd drive. They will definitely be grabbing the xbox s now. What a poor decision

I don't know how Sony's R&D department didn't anticipate that customers with the ability to get content in 4k wouldn't want a 4k Blu-Ray player in their new console.... /facepalm.

f@luS

More than a member.
FUCK this

i started my UHD collection, i have time and place for just one gaming machine, i needed it to do 4K BR

im not even sure i want to buy it now, or just switch to scorpio and leave playstation next year, my video game system is an gaming+movie, i need it to do both

def sim

As someone looking to replace my HX929 for a 4K TV within the next year, this is a quite a disappointing thing to hear.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/status/773616813959745536

T2htWmG.png

There you go.

oSoLucky

I mean, sure 4k Blu-Rays are a niche product, but they are trying to sell this upgrade to people who currently have 4k/HDR sets and want the newest tech, which is likely to have a decently high overlap with the crowd who cares about 4k Blu-Ray. I really hope that the exclusion wasn't to push their standalone player. I have idea what a 4k BD drive costs though, so it could have put the BOM up enough that they would take a loss on the console. Anyway, I doubt overall the exclusion makes a big splash, but I'm damn thankful that I decided to get an Xbox One S anyway.

Top Bottom