• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PS4 Pro version vs PC Maxed out 4k screenshot comparison

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I still don't even

Okay so we have a PS4 and a 4k tv.

The ps4 outputs 1080p, my tv upscales it once to 4k.

Where is this scenario is this 2nd scale happening?

No, for example, PS4's internal resolution of the game is 1080p, just any 1080p PS4 game for example.

The game's internal res is upscaled to the 4K pixel display by the TV, and then downscaled again to the maximum output of the console. Which is why the TV does not register the output of the TV as "4K".

On XBox One S it does, because the console supports 4K output to 4K tv's.

To in short.

PS4 game : 1080p game ---> upscaled to 4K automatically by TV ----> downscaled back down to 1080p by console.

Xbox One S : 1080p game ----> Upscaled to 4K output for 4K TV, no downscale to 1080p output.

dr_rus

No, for example, PS4's internal resolution of the game is 1080p, just any 1080p PS4 game for example.

The game's internal res is upscaled to the 4K pixel display by the TV, and then downscaled again to the maximum output of the console. Which is why the TV does not register the output of the TV as "4K".

On XBox One S it does, because the console supports 4K output to 4K tv's.

To in short.

PS4 game : 1080p game ---> upscaled to 4K automatically by TV ----> downscaled back down to 1080p by console.

Xbox One S : 1080p game ----> Upscaled to 4K output for 4K TV, no downscale to 1080p output.

That's not how it works.
If a device is outputting a 4K signal but render in a lower resolution then the device is doing the upscaling (reconstruction / whatever), 4K TV do not rescale the image.
If a device is outputting a 1080p signal while rendering in 1080p resolution then the device does not rescale the output, 4K TV do as it has to upscale the 1080p input to its 4K display. There is no downscaling of any kind in this instance.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do we know if the #4k requires specific base res or can it be done from various resolutions with different patterns? If it's the latter, this is a good solution to get decent image quality out of a greater number of resolutions like in the CRT days.

Inuhanyou

That's not how it works.
If a device is outputting a 4K signal but render in a lower resolution then the device is doing the upscaling (reconstruction / whatever), 4K TV do not rescale the image.
If a device is outputting a 1080p signal while rendering in 1080p resolution then the device does not rescale the output, 4K TV do as it has to upscale the 1080p input to its 4K display. There is no downscaling of any kind in this instance.

There is still scaling artifacts inherent to 4K displays if the output is 1080p, as opposed to outputting 1080p to a native 1080p display, that's what i'm saying

Do we know if the #4k requires specific base res or can it be done from various resolutions with different patterns? If it's the latter, this is a good solution to get decent image quality out of a greater number of resolutions like in the CRT days.

I hear the pixels of a little over 1440p, and 1800p a lot, but i don't know if it has to do with the reconstruction method

dr_rus

There is still scaling artifacts inherent to 4K displays if the output is 1080p, as opposed to outputting 1080p to a native 1080p display, that's what i'm saying

Well, sure, a 1080p source will be upscaled to 4K by the display and this will enlarge whatever artifacts there were in the source and add new artifacts from the upscaling process.

Inuhanyou

Well, sure, a 1080p source will be upscaled to 4K by the display and this will enlarge whatever artifacts there were in the source and add new artifacts from the upscaling process.

So i'm just adding onto that, if the console also has a 4K output support in place, it will not impose its own scaler onto the 4K television, and allow the display to run at the native size of the UHD television(aka 4K)

cheezcake

There doesn't have to be because it divides perfectly, so as long as you turn every pixel into a 2x2 pixel there shouldn't be any scaling artifacts. I'm not sure if TVs actually opt for that though or if they try do some weird proprietary stuff which might result in artifacts.

So i'm just adding onto that, if the console also has a 4K output support in place, it will not impose its own scaler onto the 4K television, and allow the display to run at the native size of the UHD television(aka 4K)

I think you're overcomplicating this.

Internal Render (res R) ---> Device Output (res X) ---> TV Output (res Y)

Sequentially

If R > X: Device does downscaling
If R < X: Device does upscaling
If R = X: Device doesn't do any scaling

If X > Y: Depends on TV, might downscale
If X < Y: TV uses upscaler
If X = Y: TV doesn't do any scaling

You see a resolution Y image regardless here

Downscaling on the device after tv does upscaling isn't a thing

Top Bottom