• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: VR not quite the right fit for Mario (Also ITT: Miyamoto talks bluegrass!)

maxcriden

636088683901337502-ya.jpeg

VR not quite the right fit for Mario

Asked if he was bringing Mario to the newest gaming platform, virtual reality, Miyamoto said that VR wasn't quite the right fit.

"I would agree that adapting Mario to new platforms is a key to keeping him relevant," he said. "But we want families to play together, and virtual reality (which requires players to be closed off from the real world) doesn't really fit well there. We also like people playing for a long time, and it's hard to do that in VR."

2570815-miyamoto_vr.jpg

And now, the latest deets on Miyamoto's bluegrass fandom!

ShigeruMiyamotoBanjo_0.jpg

If Miyamoto has a dream, it's one you might not guess.

He's a longtime devotee of bluegrass who particularly appreciates the sonic brilliance of mandolin player David Grisman and guitarist Tony Rice. Miyamoto plays guitar as often as he can with friends and would love to take his skills up a notch, though he admits being a bluegrass devotee in Japan has its limitations.

"In college, a few friends and I wanted to start a bluegrass band, but we had a hard time finding anyone who played banjo," he said, nothing that the group would get requests to play parties and bakery openings. "But it worked out OK. If you wanted bluegrass, well, we were the only band around."

You can check out Miyamoto playing bluegrass here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzET_0VR0w4

Source:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...okemongo-george-lucas-and-bluegrass/89977912/ (via GoNintendo.com)

Rembrandt

Banned
Mario Maker on Hololens.

Idek how a VR game would currently work. I can definitely see an AR one happening, though.

Ninja Dom

In its simplicity, the game resembled Angry Birds, although the game designer promised that Mario would soon be able to make more complex movements.

🤔

I know it isn't a gaming website but come on with the comparison.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
They'll be Mario at launch when Nintendo joins the VR game.

Ridley327

Mario Maker on Hololens.

Idek how a VR game would currently work. I can definitely see an AR one happening, though.

It'd probably be a regular 3D Mario game, but with VR-ness, or whatever the term is.

Considering how much adoption has slowed, there's definitely a much better argument to hold off on supporting it until the tech evolves than there ever was for mobile.

In its current state (especially from the price angle), I agree with him. I have no doubt Nintendo will join VR eventually, but I don't see much benefit to them doing so now.

That being said, Star Fox VR done properly would be a dream.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I understand his aversion to the isolation aspect but being able to see a living and breathing Super Mario level (2.5D platform) by swiveling your head would be amazing. Lean in close, pull back, look up and down to see various parts of the level. There's a lot of Nintendo IPs that would be amazing in VR with their touch.

I understand his aversion to the isolation aspect but being able to see a living and breathing Super Mario level (2.5D platform) by swiveling your head would be amazing. Lean in close, pull back, look up and down to see various parts of the level. There's a lot of Nintendo IPs that would be amazing in VR with their touch.
Honestly this type of thing sounds like a huge pain to me

Mario is probably not a good fit for VR right now, it's true. Unless you're doing a Lucky's Tale arrangement, which isn't necessarily enough to justify it.

But this is still a terrible argument:
But we want families to play together, and virtual reality (which requires players to be closed off from the real world) doesn't really fit well there.

Ignoring the camera modes in some VR games, like Job Simulator, that allow for family participation. Ignoring PS4 VR games that have TV and VR simultaneous play. Ignoring the fact that some people want to play with their friends, not necessarily their families, and online VR games are already here and work.

Every e3 should have a miyamoto pic thread of him checking out demos and presentations

His wtf look at Kinect I think was hilarious

Mario 64 was a family experience? 🤔 Mario Galaxy in VR 👀 Mind blown

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Honestly this type of thing sounds like a huge pain to me

How so? Looking left, right, up, and down is about as simple a movement you can make. Not to mention you'll be completely immersed in the world as if it were a diorama. Certainly less intensive than waggling

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
iPhone app store launched in 2008 so Nintendo is seemingly still on an 8-years-behind schedule.

Please look forward to Nintendo VR in 2024!

Hale-XF11

Nintendo is so incredibly stubborn. I fail to see how VR takes away from their plan to focus so hard on local multiplayer when you can do just that in VR and more.

I really want to see Miyamoto just go to town on guitar during a Nintendo direct.

They'll be Mario at launch when Nintendo joins the VR game.

Yup. Wait a few years.

The concept on the NX with the side controllers being detachable sounds perfect to put the screen in a Gear-like headset.

Maybe the generation after NX could do it.

How so? Looking left, right, up, and down is about as simple a movement you can make. Not to mention you'll be completely immersed in the world as if it were a diorama. Certainly less intensive than waggling
Because for one thing, I tend to shift around a lot when playing games and it'd be super annoying if that messed up the camera each time. I'd also rather not need to literally look up or down to move the camera. Second stick camera control is fine as is

120v

"we don't want people to feel isolated" is their corporate talking point for VR at the moment. not that i blame them

but yeah mario would fit fine with VR. see: lucky's tale

javac

VR is expensive, they'll consider it when its cheaper, end of story. Nothing to do with being stubborn or 8 years behind.

Ridley327

Nintendo is so incredibly stubborn. I fail to see how VR takes away from their plan to focus so hard on local multiplayer when you can do just that in VR and more.

I get the feeling that they would want to design games around everyone sharing a VR experience in the same room at the same time, which isn't feasible now and presents challenges in the future with how the technology currently works.

And given their preference and focus on local multiplayer experiences, no, "make it online" is not the solution they're going to be looking for.

How did Lucky's Tale turn out? I think a 3D camera to help with platforming could work. A first person view likely wouldn't.
I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo is looking into VR, but I'm not sure they'll release a VR product any time soon. Might be best to keep tinkering with the tech and see how best to make VR games before trying it out. A lot of experimental titles that don't have any meat.

That being said, Star Fox VR done properly would be a dream.

yup

I liked SF: Zero well enough, but it's clear that VR would be more intuitive for people, and allow a better realization of what Miyamoto was going for.

If he wants to redeem his vision, he must take the VR leap

The Boat

iPhone app store launched in 2008 so Nintendo is seemingly still on an 8-years-behind schedule.

Please look forward to Nintendo VR in 2024!

Yeah they should've released games on the App Store *immediately* and they should also immediately adopt every new technology that pops up.
yup

I liked SF: Zero well enough, but it's clear that VR would be more intuitive for people, and allow a better realization of what Miyamoto was going for.

If he wants to redeem his vision, he must take the VR leap
That sounds awesome, but also incredibly nauseating.

Yeah, Star Fox will probably go away until Nintendo adopts VR. Seems fairly perfect for the concept and it'll be simpler to understand than Zero's set up.
SF's simple visuals would also suit VR, I'd think, since it usually needs simple visuals to output at high fps

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, he's right. Mario in VR would be an uncomfortable, motion sickness nightmare.

Yep, he's right. Mario in VR would be an uncomfortable, motion sickness nightmare.

Not everything VR has to be first-person. Imagine Captain Toad-like diorama scenes you can see in full 3D, spin around you to get a better look, et cetera. Just having that in front of you in VR can be incredible.

morikaze

Banned
Legend of Dungeon VR. I feel the way the developers of this game decided to implement VR would work really well for sidescrolling type games in general.

Not everything VR has to be first-person. Imagine Captain Toad-like diorama scenes you can see in full 3D, spin around you to get a better look, et cetera. Just having that in front of you in VR can be incredible.

That sounds amazing.

jett

D-Member
lol I had forgotten about Big Band Live. That was a nice concert. Shigeru got some skillz.

As for the rest, Nintendo will change their tune eventually if/when VR is a hit.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
His response is more or less why I can't jive with VR at all.

Videogaming for me is a social experience. It's not often that I'm playing alone. If my significant other isn't playing with me, she's often at least in the area for me to talk to--either about the game or about other things. With VR you isolate yourself into this little bubble and block out the outside world. Everything about that sounds miserable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't think be will be anywhere near the mass market level as mobile is in 5 years. I feel it'll be extremely niche for quite some time still

Huge difference between what VR is (and will be in five years), and mobile being the most popular gaming platform on the planet.

Yeah, the difference between leading and following.

Edit: my bet is that Nintendo will step into it before becoming mass market enough to be too crowded. At least the common sense should dictate that.

JordanN

Banned
His response is more or less why I can't jive with VR at all.

Videogaming for me is a social experience. It's not often that I'm playing alone. If my significant other isn't playing with me, she's often at least in the area for me to talk to--either about the game or about other things. With VR you isolate yourself into this little bubble and block out the outside world. Everything about that sounds miserable.

Whenever you use the internet or play online, it's the same thing. It's only isolated if you choose it to be.

120v

well online gaming/social VR software is a thing

MUnited83

For you.
The fanily excuse is pretty bad. You can still paky ganes with other people on your house. Just design your game around that. Stuff like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a great example of this.

"we don't want people to feel isolated" is their corporate talking point for VR at the moment. not that i blame them

but yeah mario would fit fine with VR. see: lucky's tale

Lucky's Tale is beautiful to look at. One of the best games on the Rift. I didn't play more than a few levels, but it's fantastic to see in person. It's no Mario so I didn't keep up with it.

The fanily excuse is pretty bad. You can still paky ganes with other people on your house. Just design your game around that. Stuff like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a great example of this.

The family excuse is terrible because what does that say about any Mario game on 3DS? The family isn't gathering around the fireplace to watch Timmy play 3D Land on the tiny dual screens.

Top Bottom