• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital foundry vs PS4 Slim

Caayn

Video: Hands-On With The PS4 Slim CUH-2000: Smaller, Cooler, Quieter

Article: Hands-on with the CUH-2000 PS4 Slim

knipsel9xuwi.png

We should stress once again that final numbers on this - plus any differences in game performance (we are not expecting any) will have to wait until a retail unit sits in the Digital Foundry office.

Overall, we've only had a very short amount of time with the revised PlayStation 4 so far and we're eager to hammer down the results once we have a system in the office, but the outlook is very promising. The console is smaller and more discrete, but this hasn't resulted in any kind of noticeable compromise to system performance. The key litmus test is this: given the choice between a brand new PS4 Slim and the existing CUH-1200 model, which one would I pick? Well, based on the couple of hours spent with the new hardware, it's a no-brainer - the new PS4 is a winner. Fundamentally, it addresses one of the weakest points of the current generation PlayStation 4 - the noise level: it appears to be significantly quieter in many scenarios. In fact, in the tests we ran using digital content (ie no BD drive noise), it's up there with the original Xbox One and marginally quieter than the Xbox One S. We'll update with more metrics once we have the hardware in hand, but right now, this tidy little unit looks like a really impressive revision.

bombshell

That last bit about the noise levels with the PS4 Slim being significantly smaller than Xbox One S is impressive engineering. Good to hear about the noise levels, even though I'm not interested in the console.

In fact, in the tests we ran using digital content (ie no BD drive noise), it's up there with the original Xbox One and marginally quieter than the Xbox One S.

Rudiano

Banned
Surprised Sony havent sent them an actual console do fiddle about with....but then again they did make a leak video which they had to take down

Chobel

in the tests we ran using digital content (ie no BD drive noise), it's up there with the original Xbox One and marginally quieter than the Xbox One S.

Wait, XB1S is louder than XB1 OG?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I may trade in my old PS4 for a slim...sounds very efficient both noise and power wise, and i love the minimalist design.

Kayant

Really impressive they managed to still reduce noise whilst working with a smaller chassis and the continuous use of that small fan. Power savings are also impressive to see. Overall it's a massive improvement from launch units in both regards.

Xeno_V

Sounds good. I hope that also the PS4 Pro can end up somewhere between the PS4 Slim and the CUH-1200 PS4 regarding the noise levels.

OCD Guy

As someone that traded their launch model for a cuh-1200 I'd totally be trading in for the slim...If the pro wasn't coming out.

I bet the Pro is loud as fuck though.

Glad to hear the slim is quieter. I expect variation as per usual with every sort of console. Knowing my luck I'd get a "loud" one.

Vashetti

Banned
Very nice savings on power consumption.

I hope the Pro provides similar improvements when running unpatched games in Base Mode.

I went to my local shop today and since I'm their best customer they unboxed one for me and let me check it out.

It's an extremely nice revision. It's sleek, very light, feels super sturdy with the matte finish plastic, doesn't have that "creaky plastic feel" that my launch model has.

You've really gotta see it in person to appreciate just how well they did with slimming it down and making it feel better in every respect. Build quality just seems better to me, overall (than OG launch model).

Coxy100

Banned
I went to my local shop today and since I'm their best customer they unboxed one for me and let me check it out.

It's an extremely nice revision. It's sleek, very light, feels super sturdy with the matte finish plastic, doesn't have that "creaky plastic feel" that my launch model has.

You've really gotta see it in person to appreciate just how well they did with slimming it down and making it feel better in every respect. Build quality just seems better to me, overall (than OG launch model).

Stealth brag post? ;)

In all seriousness - what are they doing to do with this now unboxed version - seal it up and hope no one notices?!

Was all for a Pro (well, until the unveiling). If it ends up being louder than the OG PS4 as I suspect then the slim might be a better option.

Skux

I thought they couldn't make it smaller but damn, the people who designed this are wizards. Not only that it's quieter and uses less power. Just crazy to think about.

DieH@rd

Banned
Was all for a Pro (well, until the unveiling). If it ends up being louder than the OG PS4 as I suspect then the slim might be a better option.

Pro will use the similar amount of power like launch PS4, but, the body of the Pro console is larger. I expect the cooling will be much better.

Stealth brag post? ;)

In all seriousness - what are they doing to do with this now unboxed version - seal it up and hope no one notices?!

"Sealed" is a loose term. There's no seal, per-say. The tab doesn't have a sticker on it. All of it's pretty easy to open up and repack. They used microfibre cloths and stuff to handle it.

I said I'd like to be proven wrong about the Slim and instead I'm really positive about it now. 16nm really does make a huge difference in a slightly smaller form factor, and I'm happy it's "whisper quiet" (to quote Richard himself) and approaches Wii U-like power consumption in some instances. That's super impressive to me.

I'm not in agreement over the industrial design of the thing. While Richard is right to point out that the system shares the same plastics with the normal PS4, and the same construction, that doesn't make it good - the way the PS4 logo is etched into the chassis is nasty looking, and I wouldn't be surprised if the plastics flex easily when pressed against, as in the original model. But I get that he's addressing the more hyperbolic concerns that it's as cheap a remodelling as the PS3 Super Slim, which isn't true at all.

c0de

That is quite loud for gaming and shows that the vanilla also was quite loud although people were pretending there PS4's were whisper quiet. Gaming also seems to be louder than the Xbox One S although I have to blame DF for not using the same games to do a real comparison.

Kazooie

Banned
My PS4 was quiet initially but after 2 months it became really loud. Good that it is quiet initially, but I'd like to know that it will still be quiet in a years time.

Behlel

That is quite loud for gaming and shows that the vanilla also was quite loud although people were pretending there PS4's were whisper quiet. Gaming also seems to be louder than the Xbox One S although I have to blame DF for not using the same games to do a real comparison.
Loud? They said is quiter then the xbox one S O-o

MrCarter

Sony are wizards at hardware. I have the launch PS4 and now I have to decide between the perfectly efficient slim or the powerful pro. Hopefully DF do a analysis of the pro soon too so I can make a decision.

MrCarter

I'm confused. Did you not even read the first post?

ethomaz

Banned
What you see is not gaming... it is the title menu of AC that runs at unlocked fps on PS4 did devs "reasons".

Still debating if I'm getting this or a PS4P... I already have Last Guardian preordered for my wife, but that's out in October... and I would not want to get her a game, but have nothing to play it on for another month...

Is it sad I'm kind of hoping for one last Last Guardian delay?

thenexus6

My second revision CUH 1200 was nice and silent when I first got it compared to my OG PS4 and now it sounds just the same.

wapplew

Still debating if I'm getting this or a PS4P... I already have Last Guardian preordered for my wife, but that's out in October... and I would not want to get her a game, but have nothing to play it on for another month...

Is it sad I'm kind of hoping for one last Last Guardian delay?

Burn this guy.

Top Bottom