• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor - Warden Gameplay Guide

After the Nioh Beta demo ended, I decided to turn my attention back to For Honor. I find it very weird that there doesn't seem to be any videos talking about the unique characteristics of each classes (Skill/Abilities/Traits/Specialty etc.). Majority of the youtube videos out that make it seem like all three Vanguards play the same, and it doesn't help that they're only using new player footage.

But upon digging further into the For Honor official forums I found this:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1487785-Hall-of-Heroes-Warden-Guide

Holy shit, why isn't this information easily made available?! If the developers push this info out more, we wouldn't have so many people thinking this game is just Rock-Paper-Scissors! Hell even I thought the game was just Rock-Paper-Scissors! But now it's more like Rock-Paper-Scissors but someone could have a bigger rock, another person might have a pair of bolt cutters, while I'm using sandpaper!

As a sample of the guide

Warden Special Moves

The Warden has three moves that are unique to them.

1. Double light attack -- The double light attack is a way for the Warden to maximize their damage while also being a good opener for a combo. If you connect with a left/right light attack (not an overhead) QUICKLY tap the light attack button again right as your attack hits the opponent to get a guaranteed quick second attack.

Here is an example of the double light attack.

RUQaaCo.gif

2. Shoulder Charge -- The shoulder charge is another of the Wardens Unique moves. It allows you to temporarily break your opponents guard or to force push your opponent off of you to give yourself some breathing room when things get dicey. It can also be used to set up one of the Warden's most devastating combos. It's very versatile and can be used for both offense, and defense.

3. Overhead counter attack -- Using the light strike overhead at the right time allows the Warden to overpower most overhead strikes and return a heavy amount of damage. Beware when attacking other Wardens overhead because this is an incredibly punishing move.

IMO after this Closed Alpha Test they really should plan for an open demo. There might be a lot of people who wouldn't get it in the beginning but demos like Nioh's prove that if your combat system is good and reasonably intuitive, someone out there would make videos of it and people will learn.

Yep, there need to be more developer videos walking through each class/character. Maybe they're saving em for closer to release though.

Your link didn't work for me btw.

Yep, there need to be more developer videos walking through each class/character. Maybe they're saving em for closer to release though.

Your link didn't work for me btw.

Yeah the link didn't work for me either, luckily the topic is stickied over at Ubisoft forum so it didn't take much time to find it. Here is the link to the topic btw http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1487785-Hall-of-Heroes-Warden-Guide

Ah thanks, it should be fixed now. Must have screwed up when copying lol.

The folks doing this guide says that their Kensei Guide should be coming up next.

Usually all these best 'tutorial/how to play' videos and guides would come from fanbase. Hence why I suggest they need an open demo so more people could be made aware of the system.

And less people would use the rock-paper-scissor comparison.

I'm really loving how each class seems to have their own unique moves and mechanics. That means this game will have 12 characters/classes that all have unique matchups, team ups and strategies.

For Honor stands as my most anticipated game of 2017 so far.

Klyka

Banned
There is a Kensei guide out as well:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1491253-Hall-of-Heroes-Kensei-Guide

Uninterruptible side heavy -
The second of the Kensei's special combo chain attacks, the Uninterruptible is done by having your guard stance on either side and initiating a heavy attack as your third attack in the chain. This attack is special because it has something known as "Super Armour" which in the fighting community is used to describe an attack that has the ability to shrug off enemy attacks so that the attack can go through uninterrupted, hence the 'Uninterruptible side heavy'. This does not mean that you don't take damage, it simply means even if you get hit during the attack animation you will not be staggered and your attack will continue.

While this attack can easily be blocked, deflected, or parried, it can be feinted into from the Unblockable by switching your guard into a side stance and pressing the heavy attack button similar to what the GIF above shows, allowing you to keep an opponent guessing.

However, there are certain very specific mechanics can bypass the super armour of the uninterruptible nature of this attack. The details are, unfortunately, currently under NDA. This guide will be updated once such information is public.

Below is an example of the uninterruptible side heavy. Notice how the Kensei flashes white. This indicates the attack now has super armour and cannot be interrupted.
wEogaBl.gif

Dash attacks -
The Kensei is one of the few classes that has access to these dash attacks, which can be used both offensively and defensively. There is 2 different kind of dash attacks which we will go over now.

The first is the forward dashing top light attack, which is probably one of the fastest attacks in the game, and because of the nature of the Kensei's weapon it also has excellent reach. Its damage, however, is very low, and will primarily be used to poke the enemy, and can force them to adopt a top guard stance at all times because of its speed and the distance it can hit.

The second is the dashing side attacks, which allow you to combine the defensive nature of dodges with the offensive nature of light attacks. They allow you to simultaneously attack and defend at the same time and are key to keeping your opponent on their toes. They are both safe to use and contribute to your 3 hit combo chain as an opening attack

The GIF below shows a dashing side attack followed by a light attack. This could have also had a heavy attack thrown in which would have completed the 3 hit chain.
mQ8HO82.gif

I keep making threads for this game and telling people the combat is really deep and like a fighting game, but it is so hard to properly show it off if you are not allowed to show anything from the NDAd Alpha.
I hope to get in this weekend and there not being an NDA so I can do an all day "GAF For Honor Stream"

So to summarize:

Warden:
1) Double Light attacks from the sides
2) Shoulder Tackle
3) Instant top parry counter

Kensei:
1) 3-hit Combo Heavy Finishers
2) Guard Break stun
3) Dash Light attacks

Klyka

Banned
So to summarize:

Warden:
1) Double Light attacks from the sides
2) Shoulder Tackle
3) Instant top parry counter

Kensei:
1) 3-hit Combo Heavy Finishers
2) Guard Break stun
3) Dash Light attacks

That's not all they can do, but yes that's their main things.

Yeah, it's more some chain combos they got and such.

The Warden top parry attack is absolutely fantastic btw.
A lot of people forget about it and you can parry them for nice damage.

Btw, these Class Unique moves are not the feats right? So every class have another set of skills on top of these.

Unique moves seem cooler than stuff like smoke bombs.

Klyka

Banned
Btw, these Class Unique moves are not the feats right? So every class have another set of skills on top of these.

Unique moves seem cooler than stuff like smoke bombs.

Feats are not moves.
Feats are special passives or actives that you get by leveling up your character inside a round with renown points. Youhave 4 levels of feats and each level has 3 feats to choose from.

They do NOT exist in 1v1 or 2v2 modes!

Feats are not moves.
Feats are special passives or actives that you get by leveling up your character inside a round with renown points. Youhave 4 levels of feats and each level has 3 feats to choose from.

They do NOT exist in 1v1 or 2v2 modes!

Then what are the arrow storms and flash bombs called?

Klyka

Banned
Then what are the arrow storms and flash bombs called?

Those are the feats :D

Like I said, they are not "Moves" cause moves are something the character can always do.
The feats are just used in the 4v4 mode (maybe modes) and are stuff like arrow storm, flashbang, health from soldier kills, etc...

Those are the feats :D

Like I said, they are not "Moves" cause moves are something the character can always do.
The feats are just used in the 4v4 mode (maybe modes) and are stuff like arrow storm, flashbang, health from soldier kills, etc...

Ah okay.

One more question- I've seen videos of the Orochi pull back and doing a fast mid distance dash attack, probably a heavy strike, how is it done and can you choose the direction?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Really liking that each class has specific unique moves combined with the rather fluid and fun sounding basic combat.

Klyka

Banned
Ah okay.

One more question- I've seen videos of the Orochi pull back and doing a fast mid distance dash attack, probably a heavy strike, how is it done and can you choose the direction?

It's a special move the Orochi has, I can't remember the exact button combo but you can hold it and I do believe you can choose direction. You can also cancel it.

It's an interesting move and can come out pretty fast or slower depending on what you want.

I guess it's time to bump this thread for prosperity.

As much as I hate the Rock Paper Scissors comments from people, Ubisoft has not been helping themselves by allowing only new players footage and not highlight the advance players.

Top Bottom