• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aren't Country Clubs "Safe-Spaces" for White People?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a lot of debates about "Safe-Spaces" on college campuses the past couple weeks.

I feel like the people who take very hard line stances against Safe-Spaces are the exact same people who have no problem with the existence of country clubs.

Which seems hypocrital to me, because the whole point of Country Clubs is to provide their members a "safe space" that is completely isolated from Black, Brown, Asian and Jewish people.

What do you guys think?

Do I have a point or is this just a false equivalency?

Kayhan

Pretty sure there are a lot of Jewish people in country clubs at least.

I think it is more of a class/wealth thing than a race thing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well, while most country clubs are obnoxiously white, and some go out of their way to stay monolithic most don't nakedly restrict membership to white people and the people who go there are going for pools, golf, tennis and 11am alcohol rather than fleeing from Jews. So yeah it is a false equivalency but an interesting metaphor. There are also predominantly Jewish, Latino and black private clubs.

Kyuur

Are country clubs also facilities for higher learning and discussions of all topics, including the taboo? I didn't know that.

ColdPizza

Banned
Well, while most country clubs are obnoxiously white, and some go out of their way to stay monolithic most don't nakedly restrict membership to white people and the people who go there are going for pools, golf, tennis and 11am alcohol rather than fleeing from Jews. So yeah it is a false equivalency but an interesting metaphor. There are also predominantly Jewish, Latino and black private clubs.

It's just a safe space for wealthy people.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What about predominately Asian country clubs?

rn55THz.gif

Vengrim

I think your observation works as a stand up comedy bit. As a straight observation though, I think it is a stretch.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Don't forget the fabulous Sunday brunches.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They are more economic classist than racist. Fantastic networking opportunities too. Worth every penny.

A decent golf course is a cheaper way to get the a similar networking opportunity.

Zoe

Do country clubs even exist that much anymore? Nowadays it seems like golf clubs have taken over the elitism while HOA's provide the amenities.

BPoole

They're for rich people of all races. I used to work at Chevy Chase Country Club and saw it first hand.

You could make the case for Burning Tree Country Club being a safe space for men, which to this day, almost entirely excludes women.
There are no women's locker rooms or bathrooms at Burning Tree. No women are permitted inside the club at all, not even for service reasons or parties, with rare exceptions. A recent allowance was made for the spring cocktail party, and women are allowed into the pro shop in December to holiday shop for their husbands.[1] They can do this only by appointment, during very restrictive hours, and only on Saturdays.

The exclusion of women has extended to Supreme Court Justices, as Sandra Day O'Connor was not invited to join. Even working female U.S. Secret Service agents have been turned away. Women US Army EOD(explosive ordnance disposal) have been turned away

inner-G

Banned
There have been a lot of debates about "Safe-Spaces" on college campuses the past couple weeks.

I feel like the people who take very hard line stances against Safe-Spaces are the exact same people who have no problem with the existence of country clubs.

Which seems hypocrital to me, because the whole point of Country Clubs is to provide their members a "safe space" that is completely isolated from Black, Brown, Asian and Jewish people.

What do you guys think?

Do I have a point or is this just a false equivalency?
I think it's more of a safe space for rich people than just white people, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom