• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K

jett

D-Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu-ST4ntGjc

Seems like it's using Xbox One quality textures, among other settings below Very High on PC.

tqGr0VY.png

The PS4 Pro isn't any different than any other console in that developers will gradually learn to design around its limitations. I expect games designed specifically for the PS4 Pro to look better than games that have to add support late in their development.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well......I think I'm going to return my 4k TV that came today and just have a very nice 1080p image.......time to find a budget 1080p TV with roku built in for PSVue.

Also, are there regular PS4/Xbox One shots to compare with these?

I don't understand the comparison between PC and PS4Pro. Of course the PC looks better. I think people are way more concerned about what the difference between the consoles are?

Maybe I'm wrong though.

the ps4 version is much more temporally stable despite having half the number of pixels. i think i actually prefer it over the pc version. the shimmering in the pc version is egregious. makes a much bigger difference to the end visual result in motion IMO

PBY

Banned
that looks awful relative to the PC shot

I know the pro isn't chasing the PC market necessarily, but this is a year old game

ghibli99

Interesting, since DF said last week that ROTTR was one of the most impressive-looking games on the PS4 Pro at the event. Maybe it's just less so when stacked right up next to a native 4K PC image (which realistically and understandably, it's never going to be able to match).

GHG

Gold Member
This race for 4K on consoles is too soon.

At least get most things to 60fps 1080p with AA before moving on.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think to more directly compare the resolution quality, it would have made sense to also offer a comparison that was 'settings matched' outside of res, as far as possible.

I wonder if CD will evaluate the supposedly better upscale techniques mentioned in the article. Although whether they're actually better may depend on the title.

marrec

Banned
I think the biggest "yuck" is the missing lighting during some scenes, makes everything look far more dull.

That and it looks like they smeared virtual vaseline on the virtual camera lense.

PC definitely looks much better...

But Pro looks worse than it should...

I'm not playing on anything higher than 1080p for a while though.

Harlock

Love the Youtube comments are all over 1080/60fps better than 4k BS.

Is the same thing with Uncharted. If Sony had focused in 60fps, for games, in the PS4 Pro, leaving the 4K for videos, your new hardware would have a much better logic and marketing.

This thread will be about the comparisons rather than what's been said.

You get, at 4k that is, what you're paying for. At least there is an option at 1080p which will probably look better when it comes to assets and effects.
60fps dicsussion for consoles is getting old. If you want 60fps, go PC. Devs prioritize graphics over fps.

Nobody should be surprised by this. A £400 console cannot do 4K gaming at all, definitely not 4K gaming at the quality of a good PC. An upscaled image just can't compare.

A PS4 Pro will look better than the standard PS4 in most instances, that is the only thing to expect.

dealer-

This race for 4K on consoles is too soon.

At least get most things to 60fps 1080p with AA before moving on.

Indeed super solid 30fps and 1080p is still a struggle for current consoles. Trying to jump to 4K seems like too much right now.

Frostman

I still don't understand the point in comparing very high to console settings. Match console settings on PC, and then compare 4K native to 4K on PS Pro.

If we are going to compare very high to anything, wait and compare the 1080p 30FPS mode from the Pro to see the differences then. If as CD have said it is running with all the bells and whistles, it would be a much closer comparison.

Top Bottom