• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Our (1st party) games will render at native 4K at Scorpio launch

Next year will be big for Xbox, as it rolls out its Project Scorpio console to compete with Sony and the rival PlayStation 4. The more powerful PS4 Pro will launch in November.

Loftis says Microsoft is already exploring virtual reality options and games for Xbox, which will support VR with Scorpio, as well as prepping titles for the boost in visual quality.

"Any games we're making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K.
"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...22/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-5NYtnfHgUKcOfI6IK4xUnA

Magwik

Banned
Wait is this the first time they have distinctly mentioned VR? I'm pretty sure it was all just rumors right?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The next gen Oculus headset will probably be Scorpio compatible. Thing is going to be a beast but I still don't see the point if you have a nice PC.

leeh

We need onQ to tell us that checkerboard rendering comes under the native 4k banner and this is what is meant here.

Finaj

Please put in 1080p/60fps alternative modes for your games as well. No way any of those games at 4k will be able to run at 60fps.

GHG

Gold Member
That's all good and well but how will the games look and what framerate will they run at?

leeh

Please put in 1080p/60fps alternative modes for your games as well. No way any of those games at 4k will be able to run at 60fps.
Anything other than Forza M anyway. Let's just all hope it has decent AA and AF with the Scorpio.

Edit: Forgot about Halo.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Wait is this the first time they have distinctly mentioned VR? I'm pretty sure it was all just rumors right?

It was part of their E3 conference when they announced Scorpio.

Evo X

Guys both Halo 5 and Forza 6 run at 1080p 60 on a 1.3TF machine. I have no doubt they could run at native 4K on a 6+TF Scorpio.

Nope, they already mentioned it when they talked about the fact Scorpio won't have exclusives when compared to Xbox One (and said that VR games are not "games" so there's no exclusives).

Anyway, I don't care about 4K, I'd rather have spectacular looking games at 1080p/60fps.

I'm still hoping there will be more modes to take advantage of 1080p like Tomb Raider.

I've never actually seen 4k in real life, but is it really that much better than 1080p? I'm not knocking 4k, it's just that 1080p already looks so good to me. I can't notice any jaggies, so it's hard for me to imagine 4k being better

Briarios

That's great, but isn't it still a year out? I just feel like it's way too early for hardware specs when you're that far from launch.

Boss Mog

This constant pursuit of pixels over performance is a bummer.

Really. Like to me 60fps > everything else. Honestly when I look at a game like MGS V, it may not be the best looking game out there, but it still looks pretty good and runs in 1080p/60fps on PS4. I wish other devs had gone that route.

Newboi

I can just smell those uncompressed pixels now...

Hopefully chasing native 4K doesn't bite them in the butt when it comes to differentiating their titles. I can imagine Scorpio running games with the same graphical complexity that the PS4 Pro can only render at 1080p at 1440p upscaled to 4K.

The Scorpio quickly turned into one of my least favorite topics in recent gaming. What an amazing job by Microsoft, and similarly amazing set of customer relation slip ups by Sony, that a vague, hypothetical console with the promise of 4k within budget and spec restraints that a console inherently brings is suddenly being looked at as some sort of beast over the horizon.

The fact it's a year out, with no leaked specs, no solid developer impressions, and that it's relying on the promise of achieving a resolution that we've already seen is not completely understood by the mainstream is what causes my ire. Asking "should I buy a PC or a Scorpio?" illicits the same reaction from me as "should I buy an iPhone 7 or 8?" We simply don't know, and going off the company's promises, especially the one losing the sales and mindshare battle, is only going to create unjustified hype leading to a lot of letdowns.

Anyway, 4K is cool.

Gitaroo

this makes me thing that the are basically using the xbox one setting, or might even have to turn down a few graphical feature to maintain good performance. Hope they all have a 2k res option for max graphical fidelity.

That's great, but isn't it still a year out? I just feel like it's way too early for hardware specs when you're that far from launch.

Not really in this case. I'm sure MS has looked at what they're doing on PC, and with Scorpio equivalent hardware, are probably reaching their goals.

Who knows what kind of hardware will ultimately power the machine, but they seem pretty adamant about hitting that XO parity at native 4K.

Top Bottom