• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there any album released in the last 20 years that will be as revered as thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erv

I have never heard someone speak badly of thriller. Is there an album that will be as respected in say 20 years? I think if there is it might be a pop or rap album.

Hanmik

3d2a123ddc312423225755a14fe7db2d.jpg

Anth0ny

well I guess Nevermind is more than 20 years old

so the answer is no. Thriller is a different level.

MBDTF and Good Kid Maad City might come close. kinda.

Servbot24

Banned
No. None of the albums mentioned here are even on the same planet. There most likely will never be another as the album format becomes less revered.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Taylor Swift -1989
Katy PerryTeenage Dream
Fergie - The Duchess

All three had at least five very hit songs. Hell Katy Perry even tied Micheal Jackson with that album for #1 songs. I also think that it's not his album that is iconic, but the "Thriller" song being attached to it. "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" are good too, but people mainly love "Thriller". Similar to Adele's "Hello".

Edit: Also to those saying MBDTF, that may be Kanye's best album ever (I agree), however I don't think anyone outside his fan base knows about it or agree with you. Something akin to Thrillers has to be in the cultural zeitgeist.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Kid A - Radiohead
Since I Left You - The Avalanches
The College Dropout - Kanye West
To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
Funeral - Arcade Fire

Off the top of my head here are some darling critical albums. Hard to compare to MJ's commercial success though. Not the biggest Radiohead guy, so I just took a guess that Kid A is their most popular album.

College Dropout or TPAB might be the biggest commercial ones, but with TPAB especially it's hard to judge popularity in the youtube, iTunes a-la-carte, revenue largely from touring era.

Harmen

American Idiot by Green Day is also an album that is huge not only to fans of rock/punk, at least over here. Several hits and offcourse a broadway rendition.

It's hard to find albums that were as universally loved as thriller was before thriller too. Everyone owned that album. My mom has a bunch of classical records and Thriller.

EVOL 100%

Kid A - Radiohead
Funeral - Arcade Fire

Off the top of my head here are some darling critical albums. Hard to compare to MJ's commercial success though. Not the biggest Radiohead guy, so I just took a guess that Kid A is their most popular album.

College Dropout or TPAB might be the biggest commercial ones, but with TPAB especially it's hard to judge popularity in the youtube, iTunes a-la-carte, revenue largely from touring era.
I like some of those albums more than I like Thriller and they never have and never will be as widely accepted and have the same cultural impact as Thriller had

Onemic

The answer is no. None of the albums listed come even close to the amount of reverence Thriller gets. TBH to get to Thriller levels, you at the very least have to sell around Thriller levels. And even at that point you then have to look at its critical and cultural success relative to Thriller on top of it all.

Kid A - Radiohead
Funeral - Arcade Fire

IMO it'd probably be Ok Computer for Radiohead and not Kid A. Both are game changers and big but Ok Computer for a lot of people is probably where they stopped listening. But at the same time, even as huge fan idk if Radiohead is really even that big enough to be alongside something like Thriller

Inb4 I am avatar quoted

Taylor Swift -1989
Katy PerryTeenage Dream
Fergie - The Duchess

All three had at least five very hit songs. Hell Katy Perry even tied Micheal Jackson with that album for #1 songs. I also think that it's not his album that is iconic, but the "Thriller" song being attached to it. "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" are good too, but people mainly love "Thriller". Similar to Adele's "Hello".

Edit: Also to those saying MBDTF, that may be Kanye's best album ever (I agree), however I don't think anyone outside his fan base knows about it or agree with you. Something akin to Thrillers has to be in the cultural zeitgeist.

You think the albums you listed are in the cultural zeitgeist to the same degree as Thriller? I'm pretty skeptical of that. I mean I know those artists but I don't know anything about those albums, personally.

I don't think we are likely to ever see something like Thriller again, or even Nevermind (which still doesn't really come close to the level of penetration Thriller had), and your post is a perfect example as to why. Music is too segmented; there is too wide a variety of quality music with everyone getting a little niche they are happiest with. Which I think is a better situation for listeners, certainly, but you're never going to get a pop album that practically everybody listens to ever again.

gaugebozo

Kid A - Radiohead
Funeral - Arcade Fire

I would guess In Rainbows is their most popular album. It got a ton of radio play, and it was free if you wanted to pay nothing.

To everyone posting pictures, you have terrible taste in music. The word is "revered."

Edit: except maybe Nevermind

DasRaven

I have never heard someone speak badly of thriller. Is there an album that will be as respected in say 20 years? I think if there is it might be a pop or rap album.

1996-Current? Probably not. Stakonia comes close, so does OK Computer. Still thinking...

Zeta Oni

There's not a single album listed so far that has the universal appeal Thriller has, and I don't think its something that will ever be matched tbh.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
While not nearly as big, I get the similar vibes when Kid A is brought up. Personally, i'm not a fan, but it seems to be the classic of the last two decades.

No. People that weren't alive then also don't realize the impact that music videos had. MJ and Madonna were huge based on the music, but videos were a major player back then. MTV was actually relevant at one time.

Tenebrous

OK Computer/Kid A
Blue Lines
Dummy
Homogenic

In terms of critical reviews & long-term fandom, a few albums might be on that level. In terms of impact & sales? No chance.

PS: Off The Wall shits over Thriller.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't even like Thriller.

..but nothing during the 00's comes to close.. but it was a weird time in music with Napster and the like... the industry was changing.

There's not a lot of iconic albums from that period.

I like some of those albums more than I like Thriller and they never have and never will be as widely accepted and have the same cultural impact as Thriller had

This is the inherent problem for the thread. What are the parameters here? Does it have to be universal or mainstream accepted? Does allowing niche acclaim kind of go against the point in the first place? Across all races and genders?

Because when the OP says:

Is there an album that will be as respected in say 20 years?

You could easily say Either/Or by Elliott Smith, because it's still consistently revered but we're not talking on the level of certified triple quadruple platinum-diamond-superdiamond craziness that Thriller reached.

EDIT: I should've avatar quoted and just said Turn on the Bright Lights. ;)

EVOL 100%

While not nearly as big, I get the similar vibes when Kid A is brought up. Personally, i'm not a fan, but it seems to be the classic of the last two decades.
Kid A is more of a 'serious' music enthusiast(jesus I feel so douchey typing that) album. Out of Radiohead's discography most people would pick The Bends, OK Computer or In Rainbows as the definitive Radiohead album

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Also, stop with the Radiohead. They get no radio airplay, and a huge huge part of the population could give a shit about them one way or the other.

blackseedboy

Neo Member
All of the above are insignificant compared to Thriller

You know, in the history of music you have few albums on that level... I mean, Sgt Peppers, The Dark Side Of The Moon, Back in Black... And I'll stop here...

EVOL 100%

Also, stop with the Radiohead. They get no radio airplay, and a huge huge part of the population could give a shit about them one way or the other.
You could really apply that to every 'indie' darling that's been posted here.

Mention any of those albums to people and you'll most likely just get a blank stare

You think the albums you listed are in the cultural zeitgeist to the same degree as Thriller? I'm pretty skeptical of that. I mean I know those artists but I don't know anything about those albums, personally.

I don't think we are likely to ever see something like Thriller again, or even Nevermind (which still doesn't really come close to the level of penetration Thriller had), and your post is a perfect example as to why. Music is too segmented; there is too wide a variety of quality music with everyone getting a little niche they are happiest with. Which I think is a better situation for listeners, certainly, but you're never going to get a pop album that practically everybody listens to ever again.

I don't think you can objectively call any artist with a billion youtube views for several individual songs "niche". If you haven't heard anything from them you are the rare exception.

Taylor Swift and Katy Perry have easily reached the cultural relevance of Michael Jackson in music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Dream_(Katy_Perry_album)#Chart_performance

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

I would agree, to an extent. However if we were to put it in the same contex as today. I would say that Teenage Dream has a very good chance and 1989 as well. Everyone knows Blank Space, everyone knows Firework.

All of the above are insignificant compared to Thriller

You know, in the history of music you have few albums on that level... I mean, Sgt Peppers, The Dark Side Of The Moon, Back in Black... And I'll stop here...
Despite its ineligibility Master of Puppets is definitely not insignificant and its had a lasting effect on the rock world since its release more than 30 years ago until now and will probably never stop being relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom