• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

MilkyJoe

“So you can see the price of the S today. When we designed both of these, which we kind of designed it in parallel. We thought about the price performance of what we wanted to hit with the Scorpio, relative to what we were going to be able to do with the S. So that we would have a good price continuum, so people wouldn’t look at these two things as so disconnected because of the price delta,” Spencer explains. “So I think you will feel like it’s a premium product, a premium console. And not something, anything more than that. So I wouldn’t get people worried that this thing is going to be unlike any console price you’ve ever seen. We didn’t design it that way. That said, the opening price point for the Xbox One S, and the different hard drive sizes that is a critical part of this whole product. When I think about it as a product line, you should expect the pricing to kind of be in line with that.”

So that's encouraging and I guess it will be coming with differing hard disk configurations.

On the probability of a 4K drive in Scorpio

We’ve seen great adoption of it with the S. People seem to like it, but those kinds of decisions aren’t the decisions that we announced at E3,” he clarifies. “That’s not a push-back, I’m just saying those are the kind of decisions that can kind of bind later, what the drive is. But it has been really great to see how people have responded to the S, and it seems like we would want to continue to ride that option.”

A little more beating around the bush, but you can assume it'll be in there

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-phil-spencer-project-scorpio

Edit: mods drop the quote from the title.. oops...

Very funny mods....

orochi91

$399 seems to be a given.

It's a good price-point for a new console.

By Fall 2017 the components needed for the Scorpio should be much cheaper to mass produce anyways, so $399 should be feasible.

Caayn

As I've said before. I hope that MS doesn't cheap out on components (such as no UHD-BD support) just to meet the €400 price point. It's supposed to be a premium product after all.

So I wouldn’t get people worried that this thing is going to be unlike any console price you’ve ever seen.

This doesn't eliminate the possibility of it being the PS3 launch price. Oh boy the reaction if it did.

wapplew

$399 with a game.
Recent success with aggressive pricing, I sure MS know price is king and won't let PS4 have price advantage.

TherealDoge

Neo Member
If i remember well, an MS executive confirmed after the E3, that there will be an exchange program for the earlier buyer of the Xbox One regarding the Scorpio

scoobs

$399 seems to be a given.

It's a good price-point for a new console.

By Fall 2017 the components needed for the Scorpio should be much cheaper to mass produce anyways, so $399 should be feasible.

Feels like a $499 to me, but who knows? We have no idea how much their average cost/unit is going to be. Maybe they'll get manufacturing costs down low enough to sell for $399 and still make money off it by the end of 2017.

All we know is they aren't dumb enough to sell it for $599 like Sony did w/ the PS3, and there's zero chance in hell they're going to sell for $299 because that is not a premium price tag. So its going to be $400-500, like every new Xbox console.

I'm much more interested in knowing how they're going to position this thing as a product. Is it the "next Xbox" or just a premium Xbox One?

$399 with a game.
Recent success with aggressive pricing, I sure MS know price is king and won't let PS4 have price advantage.

no chance of that.

Also with the current pricing of HDD's how does the price hike in these consoles make any sense just due to a different size HDD?

joebruin

Sony got lucky with the PS4 ram. I expect $499 or more otherwise they are going to either be weaker or taking a loss on hardware and no one does the latter anymore.

Superfrog

The best thing that could happen to consumers is the $399 price point of the PS4 Pro (which might be even lower by the time Scorpio releases). MS will have to match that with Scorpio in order to stay competitive. Maybe they'll go with $449 + bigger HDD for the first couple of months to milk the early adopters, like they did with the XB1S. But after that they'll have to match PS4 Pro's price point.

AmyS

$399 w/ 4K Blu-ray drive. Edit: the HDD on that SKU will be 500 GB.

Anything else would be stupid. Microsoft knows better now, plus, as Phil said, they've noticed the positive response to the S.

Do we have to do this again? It'll be 399. You can't sell a console successfully above that price.
Microsoft have learnt from history.

All those people who thought the PS4 Pro would be above 399? They were wrong. Prepare to be wrong again if you think different.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
499?

If they really are aiming at significant component changes from XB1 like Vega, maybe zen and a switch to GDDR5x, that's not going to be cheap, even a year after Pro launches on the same process name. Sony barely got it to 399 basically using most of the components they already had from PS4 and cutting out some features to boot.

I guess either they are really going to eat some of that cost to remain competitive, or something else

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Scorpio ranging from $400-$500 for the different memory configurations sounds right. Maaaybe we'll see $500-$600, though. If PS4P can be $400 this year, I don't think Scorpio hitting $400 next year is inconceivable unless it gets a complete hardware overhaul unlike the PS4P.

If Scorpio does enter at $400, I'm guessing we'll see PS4P hit $350 next year and PS4S drop to $250 by Holiday 2017 (but perhaps only if the X1S is $250 as well and PS4 sales are slowing). And NX maybe at $250 as well? Should be interesting to see what game console sales look like each month from Holiday 2016 to Holiday 2017. Lots of products entering the market and changing things up.

goldenpp72

no chance of that.

Also with the current pricing of HDD's how does the price hike in these consoles make any sense just due to a different size HDD?

It doesn't, but people do it with iphones and such and I guess there is some evidence it works here. I imagine the Scorpio will launch with a 400 dollar 'low hdd' model and then up to 500 for a higher one.

TBiddy

Sounds like a sure 399$ price. 499$ for the 2 TB version. But I don't think Microsoft really knows what the price is going to be, yet.

wapplew

2016, $299 for PS4 slim, add $100, you get premium PS4 Pro
2017, OneS will be at $199, add $100, you get premium Xbox one, Scorpio will be $299.

MilkyJoe

400 dollar for a 500gb version would be fine for me.
I have a external HDD wich has all my games.

From the quote, i think that's what it might get be like $400 on a base unit with a 500GB or more likely a 1GB drive and then claw some money back with a 2/3 or 4TB version.

Arex

Probably $399, with $449 the highest I guess
By the time Scorpio is out, I assume Sony will have price dropped the PS4Pro to $349 (or lower I hope lol)

orochi91

2017, OneS will be at $199, add $100, you get premium Xbox one, Scorpio will be $299.
Lmao

Not gonna lie, I'd totally buy one at that price.

It would be my first ever Xbox console.

Rad-

399 sounds cheap considering it's fairly powerful. It would be a great deal at that price but I doubt it. I'm still thinking 499, mayyyybe 449.

MilkyJoe

Time.gif

El-Suave

It's clearly going to be above $400 in my opinion - this is aimed at enthusiast early adopters and it leaves room for reductions down the road. Maybe it'll be cheaper in parts of Europe but in the US they're going to go to the maximum of what they can ask.

Minions

People thinking $399 are crazy. Microsoft would take a bath at that price. What Spencer is saying is its going to be a premium console, and people that don't want to pay the higher price have the Xbox One slim as an alternative at a cheaper price point. Makes sense to me. It is the same thing Sony said when they launched the Pro. The Scorpio is for the more diehards, and since it doesn't play exclusive games (other than VR), then thats not all that surprising. Their target customer is someone who is really into video games, and wants a spec/performance bump mid generation. Since their games are also sold on PC there is really no reason/way for them to recoup a huge loss. Makes no sense to launch at loss if they won't have a closed ecosystem.

Wil348

I could see them hitting $399-$499 if they go with Jaguar for the CPU, but that would be kind of a waste though.

People thinking $399 are crazy. Microsoft would take a bath at that price. What Spencer is saying is its going to be a premium console, and people that don't want to pay the higher price have the Xbox One slim as an alternative at a cheaper price point. Makes sense to me. It is the same thing Sony said when they launched the Pro. The Scorpio is for the more diehards, and since it doesn't play exclusive games (other than VR), then thats not all that surprising.
Nope, we ain't crazy. So what if Microsoft are taking a bath (They won't be by release). They need to try and take back the reins of this generation. Pricing themselves out of contention again isn't something they will do.

I don't get this - it's SO powerful how could it be that price! In a year and a quarter when this thing comes out - it won't be. It'll be using seasoned tech that will be shamed by a new PC build - like all console tech these days unfortunately.

JimiNutz

Banned
November 2017:

Xbox One S 1TB - $250 (maybe game bundled in?)
Xbox One S 2TB - $350 (maybe game bundled in?)

Scorpio 1.5 TB - $450
Scorpio 3 TB - $550

wapplew

People thinking $399 are crazy. Microsoft would take a bath at that price. What Spencer is saying is its going to be a premium console, and people that don't want to pay the higher price have the Xbox One slim as an alternative at a cheaper price point. Makes sense to me. It is the same thing Sony said when they launched the Pro. The Scorpio is for the more diehards, and since it doesn't play exclusive games (other than VR), then thats not all that surprising. Their target customer is someone who is really into video games, and wants a spec/performance bump mid generation. Since their games are also sold on PC there is really no reason/way for them to recoup a huge loss. Makes no sense to launch at loss if they won't have a closed ecosystem.

We are in an era where MS give you free OS update to boost ecosystem, we need to stop thinking about the cost of making Scorpio and think how low MS willing to go to get more MAU.
Look at all the crazy deal recently, OneS practically lower than $200 now, I won't surprise they will match or lower the price to compete with PS4 Pro in 2017.
At $299 or $349, Scorpio will be $100-$150 over OneS, which still within the price gap of a Premium console.

Top Bottom