• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Early Copies Impressions

dex3108

Because there are no reviews and some people got game already but their impressions get buried in that no reviews thread I made this one. Here are some impressions from GAF people.

P.S. Sorry for formating I am on mobile

Just finished playing for a few hours. Haven't done too much yet.

- Probably the most story focused opening I've seen in an open world crime game of this type in a long time, most likely since Mafia 2. The first 90 minutes-2 hours are basically a montage of quick gameplay scenarios, traditional cutscenes, and documentary footage/interviews setting up the meat of the game. Very, very interesting storytelling style. Cutscenes are well done, easily a cut above any comparable open world games in cinematography and writing. Almost feels like the kind of flair that MachineGames gave Wolfenstein: The New Order. Performances are good, quickly establishing many characters and creating a nice energy right out of the gate.

- Combat mechanics are very snappy. Playing on medium with no aim assist, the few shootouts I've been in so far have been scrappy and physical. Guns have heavy recoil and hit feedback on mooks feels solid. The cover system is basic, but works how you'd expect, and cover swapping is very quick. No GTA awkwardness here. I haven't done nearly enough to judge the AI yet, so we'll see.

- Driving with the "simulation" option feels good. Cars shift their weight and can lose traction in a similar way to Mafia 2/GTAIV, but never to the point that it feels sloppy or loose. Damage modeling is weak though, which makes those big heavy crashes lose a little of their punch. I wish the cars had crumple zones similar to GTAIV, even if these 60s gas guzzlers were tough.

- I'm pretty sure some people are going to take issue with some of the daytime lighting, but I actually like what they're doing here visually. During the day the game has a baked, bleached look to it when you're facing the sun, almost like a "nostalgia" filter in a period film. I'm frequently reminded of the way sunlight works in Assassin's Creed Syndicate actually. At night it takes on a cooler hue with lots of lights and neon popping off the downtown areas. Very bloom heavy and hazy. Some ground/wall textures are a bit eeehhhh, but the overall art direction is strong. Great interiors, use of lighting, big chunky characters and vehicles, strong city design, etc.

- My only glaring negative right now is lack of HUD options. At the very least there should be a rearview mirror and speed gauge toggle, but I also want to turn off the mini-map sometimes. The screen is just needlessly surrounded by things when you're in a vehicle and have mission objectives.

I haven't gotten into the city takeover gameplay yet (the icons aren't even on the map), but I like it so far. Very story heavy upfront and lays a good foundation for the violence to come. I'm right on the cusp of the game opening up. Curious what the rumored day 1 patch will address. I already downloaded a 100mb update.

Also: Hood rolls/slides are great, and every open world game needs them

JloHDL5.gif

Whoops, I forgot to mention the soundtrack. All the videos we got in the last 2 weeks with gaming websites and youtubers allowed to record footage without the music (for copyright reasons) did a disservice to the game. The soundtrack is stellar and really anchors the entire experience firmly within the period. The opening few hours are just a barrage of classic tracks, and the radio keeps that going with a few in-universe ads/monologues and real world news updates filling the space in between. You can also hear music/radios blaring from houses which is cool, as well as live music from clubs/bars.

A lot of black woman are really nice btw, greeting you as you walk past, with Lincoln auto-responding in kind. Mobsters, some white guys, and segregated business owners though.......not so much. Many pedestrians have been gut punched and slammed to floor already. Ain't no peaceful protest in Mafia 3, brehs

Switched to simulation driving immediately. Feels weighty, and cars take a while to get up to speed and accelerate in general. Flinging cars around corners feels great imo, reminds me of classic chase movie drifts from Driver 1. Haven't tested enough classes to do a full comparison.

Well I've been playing the ps4 version for about 30min. I runs well, and looks pretty damning good too. So far I'm enjoying it, though I guess I'm still making my way through the tutorial.

I like the gunplay and driving, though I'm still getting the hang of moving Lincoln from cover to cover and around the game world. Feels a bit clunky but not Witcher 3 clunky. I suppose I'll get used to it in enough time like other games.

Just got my first hard crash on XB1.

My impressions so far is that the story seems good so far (probably 30-40 minutes in)and told in a very interesting way. Have not done enough combat so far but I think the driving will end up being hit or miss with people.

Also a recorded a game clip via the Xbox tools but it's muted. Probably because of the music.

Reddit impressions

if you want to go in totally blind please don't read. (I won't spoil any story stuff though)

I've played about 3 hours. 2 of those 3 hours was what you could call a "tutorial" where the game mechanics are explained simultaneously with Lincoln's backstory. It's done really masterfully imo and has you jumping around time while having bits and pieces foreshadowed that you then play through. I have spent very little time with the actual open world (the first 2 hours you are guided through the missions with little to do if you stray from them).

Things I Really Like:

the weight of weapon impact - shooting people feels really nice, they react when you blast them in the face with a shotgun in a satisfying way, and the knife kills are also quite satisfying. There is a real sense of presence when fighting enemies.

for those who played Uncharted 4, conversation resumes organically after getting back into a car - just a little thing that speaks to the quality of the game

the story/voice acting/writing - I'm no expert in this stuff but I play a fair amount of games and this all seems very well done. I'm more invested in Lincoln's story after a few hours than I have ever been invested in the entirety of other open world games like Mad Max or Far Cry for example.

there are a lot of really cool collectibles - I'm not going to say anything about these but they're much better than your standard bs "random item that is important" or "random stock artifact". They matter to the time period and show the dedication of Hangar 13 again.

the music - AMAZING TRACKS. I'm 20 and love love love the music. For the older folk out there I'm sure you'll love it even more than I did.

What Wasn't Too Great:

lots of pop-in - specifically when driving, cars would pop in on the road ahead of me. It was never bad enough to the point of me crashing into them, but it's noticeable. In no way does it detract from the experience though.

From what I've seen so far there don't seem to be many upgrades to Lincoln other than generic "improved health" and "carry more ammo" and that disappoints me cause I love RPG elements in games.

frame rate was pretty unstable for the first 30-40 minutes of play time. It dipped quite often but since finishing the very early "intro" "tutorial" whatever you want to call it, it has been steady.

stealth - enemies don't notice you when they can clearly see you. It's pretty immersion-breaking to bolt out of cover to another cover point and an enemy is looking your direction but that stupid "enemy is seeing you" bar is just slowly rising and then you tuck behind cover again and the bar goes away. Good thing shooting people in the face is nice :)

I have only just scratched the surface of the game and am just entering the real open world parts of it. I love how the story is being told so far and the characters are really great. Gameplay seems to be standard fare so far but the time period, atmosphere, music, and authenticity of the world are really really awesome.

Ya'll can ask whatever questions you want in the comments and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm going to play for a few more hours later tonight so I'll have a much better idea of what the game is really about then.

EDIT: 6 hour update

mission structure is insanely repetitive.
weapons are not very varied.
melee kill animations (while satisfying) are not varied enough to keep the satisfaction rolling.
story and writing continues to impress.
not much to explore in the city, basically driving from this "kill everyone" mission to another "kill everyone" mission.
I initially loved the collectibles, but now I'm realizing the only incentive for me to explore the boring buildings of the city is to see naked girls in the playboy magazines
3 hours = 'holy shit this is amazing', 6 hours = 'I wish there wasn't so much gameplay in between story beats'

https://m.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments...ab0a901&utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Like I said, the Reddit impressions after six hours were interesting:

On using stealth:
there's no incentive for it and it's really boring. there are only a handful of different stealth kill animations to boot
On incentive to explore:
other than going into buildings to find playboy magazines, no, there's really nothing to explore. overall my opinions went from "holy shit this is awesome" in the first three hours to "please give me more story beats so I don't have to keep killing these people again and again and again in different buildings with the same 4 guns and 6 execution moves"

We really need later impressions from jbug617, Redlogic and Net_Wrecker to see what they think of the mechanics and missions once you get deeper in. I'm hoping that the Redditor is the outlier here.

These are what I feared most from these open world games.
  • mission structure is insanely repetitive.
  • not much to explore in the city, basically driving from this "kill everyone" mission to another "kill everyone" mission.
  • I initially loved the collectibles, but now I'm realizing the only incentive for me to explore the boring buildings of the city is to see naked girls in the playboy magazines
  • 3 hours = 'holy shit this is amazing', 6 hours = 'I wish there wasn't so much gameplay in between story beats'

Glad I read those Reddit impressions. Will wait to see if other people's impressions line up with that but looks like it got drug down to the depths of open world game design hell.

Mr. Tibbs

Varg

Banned
Sounds good so far. I enjoyed mafia 2 so I can't wait to pick this up. I will make it my duty to collect every playboy magazine again !!!

gow3isben

Those 6 hour impressions are nightmare fuel.

Damn it to hell so tired of all these open world games. Last gen was amazing for linearly focused tightly paced campaign lovers like me. Only rare games like Witcher 3 and GTA manage to avoid the monotony of open world games and the key is to have meaningful side quests with narratives that can drive you to repeat missions, and have enough depth to the world so that the limited gameplay can be approached in different ways.

The Assassins Creed and Infamous structure is revolting to me in which you have to do a repeated number of the same boring side quests to advance without any narrative to motivate you. I say revolting because certain elements of these two series are amazing and they both have so much potential if they deviated beyond such a formulaic design.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks great so far but my deepest fear is that it will fall into that same hole as the aforementioned two series.

Mediking

So many games I want for October... if I don't get Mafia 3 now then I will get it later in December for sure. It much take many glaring negative impressions to sway me from buying a game I want.

Mr. Tibbs

I'm curious how many mission types there are and what their place is in stuff like drawing bosses out and moving the plot along.

I guess I'll find out when my Steam copy unlocks in a few hours. I wonder how the PC version stacks up? Back in 2010, Mafia 2 was really slick with tons of extra bells and whistles. Such a shame that Mafia 1 isn't available on digital platforms. :(

Mediking

You guys could always play for yourself instead of rely on strangers impressions...

Then again... if everybody is screaming fire then there has to be a fire. Lol

dex3108

I am not defending game because they should try to improve OW formula. But even Witcher 3 has repetitive missions and content. But if story is good and connects all of those repetitive stuff I think that people could still have a fun.

From all of those impressions Mafia 3 looks like I imagined from all of those gameplay videos.

TheKeyPit

Banned
~24 hours left for me to get my hands on the game.

Most of the stuff sounds fine to me. Most important thing is the story and it looks like the game will deliver a good one.

I am not defending game because they should try to improve OW formula. But even Witcher 3 has repetitive missions and content. But if story is good and connects all of those repetitive stuff I think that people could still have a fun.

Yeah, The Witcher 3 is nothing without its story.

Mifec

~24 hours left for me to get my hands on the game.

Most of the stuff sounds fine to me. Most important thing is the story and it looks like the game will deliver a good one.

Yeah, The Witcher 3 is nothing without its story.

Except the world design and how all of those map points fit into it is stellar.

rofl

Dalibor68

Banned

From all of those impressions Mafia 3 looks like I imagined from all of those gameplay videos.
Witcher 3 has tons upon tons of top quality sidequests, how does that compare at all to the complaint of Mafia 3 appearantly having nothing but repetetive "kill everyone" quests to do inbetween the story missions?

We really need later impressions from jbug617, Redlogic and Net_Wrecker to see what they think of the mechanics and missions once you get deeper in. I'm hoping that the Redditor is the outlier here.

I don't see myself tiring of the core mechanics. It's laser focused on being a bloodthirsty TPS, and it provides those thrills, however basic they might be. What will make or break this is whether the narrative execution holds up, and if the city takeover activities provide enough scenario variety to hold the whole thing together. You can see fairly early what kind of gameplay loop starts to form, and it's what I expected, but I wonder if the bigger missions will hold up and whether the game throws any curveballs.

This is not The Witcher 3. This is not GTAV. Doesn't mean it has no worth as a solid action experience, especially if the main missions tell a good story.

The God

Witcher 3 has tons upon tons of top quality sidequests, how does that compare at all to the complaint of Mafia 3 appearantly having nothing but repetetive "kill everyone" quests to do inbetween the story missions?

I think he's saying the "kill everyone" quests can still be enjoyable if they have good writing to tie them together. That's pretty much what a lot of Witcher 3 quests are.

if 6 hours guy says it sucks and 12 hour guy says it gets better.

How long do you have to play before its not a slog? 6 hours is way to much.

Can anyone comment on enemy variety? The gameplay videos I've seen make it look like combat scenarios are almost entirely populated with fairly dumb identikit mobsters in hats.

Dalibor68

Banned
I think he's saying the "kill everyone" quests can still be enjoyable if they have good writing to tie them together. That's pretty much what a lot of Witcher 3 quests are.
You're not wrong, but from what I gathered you just complete generic ground stuff until you've done enough to lure out the district boss who then might have some narrative payoff. I might be totally wrong ofc.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The impressions from the guy on Reddit are what I feared, that they turned it into an UBISoft checklist game, it seems you need to play for a few hours for that to kick in as the tutorial is seemingly unique and interesting. Shame.

Triteon

I'm already committed (I got the PC collectors Ed paid off) but after Horizon I'm a tiny bit worried about optimisation.

Will keep my eye on the thread

Aranath

How was PC performance for Mafia 2 at launch? That's the only thing making me wait on this, otherwise I'd probably have pre-ordered.

prudislav

These are what I feared most from these open world games.
Iirc at the time when Vávra was the main brain behind the series , he always said that Mafia is always story-game first and the openworld is there just as a place to tell the story, but no idea hiw it chnged when he quit

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
3 hours = 'holy shit this is amazing', 6 hours = 'I wish there wasn't so much gameplay in between story beats'
Heh, well, this basically sums up everything I've said in one of threads earlier this week - Mafia II is a lot better in this regard.

Well yes, TW3 had writing to support its overabundance of killing quests and shitty detective sequences.

Is there really going to be enough (or even any) writing to support you stealing trucks of weed or burning a boss' stash of stag flicks? I haven't seen it yet, so I'm curious to hear the answer.

Top Bottom