• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories Import Impressions

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
7sXEXVy.png

Title: Monster Hunter Stories
Genre: JRPG
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Platform: 3DS
Price physical: 5,800 yen + tax [The current tax is 8%]
Price digital: 5,546 yen + tax [The current tax is 8%]

Game summary:
Steal eggs, ride and fight alongside monsters that hatch from them.
Monsters have random skills which can be transferred from one to another, so be prepared to that over and over again if you want to create a perfect Otomon (Monstie?) for online battles, which are the main part of post game, I guess?

If anyone wants to make a better op, let me know - I'll add it to this post when I have time and credit you (or if a mod decides so, close this thread if there's a better one).

I decided to make this thread since no one seemed to have taken the OT rights and the digital version unlocked at midnight JST.

So far I'm still in the prologue part of the game, but wow, the texture pop in for villagers is really bad. Black shadows everywhere, and I'm playing on a New 3DS. Other than that the game looks great. Not sure if better than the demo, probably the same.

Please mark your spoilers, since MHS seems to have a proper RPG story.

xuu7YCS.jpg

Everything visual about this game looks amazing, but the gameplay does not interest me at all.

Can we not just get an actual Monster Hunter game with this art style?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I really like the character creator in this. Quite a few hair/eye choices, and full color palette for both. It's a bummer that you can't switch the side for one sided tattoos though.

Went with my usual MH character look for this.
YWqHHus.jpg

Can someone give an idea of the difficulty of the Japanese in it? I am still more beginner in my learning. I am always looking for more material to practice with but don't want it to be overwhelming. Hoping maybe since it is geared more towards younger players...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Can someone give an idea of the difficulty of the Japanese in it? I am still more beginner in my learning. I am always looking for more material to practice with but don't want it to be overwhelming. Hoping maybe since it is geared more towards younger players...
I suggest checking out the demo, which you seem to already be doing.
The game has furigana in it, so you should be able to understand all words if you use a dictionary, without guessing kanji readings.

I suggest checking out the demo, which you seem to already be doing.
The game has furigana in it, so you should be able to understand all words if you use a dictionary, without guessing kanji readings.

I did download but didn't try it yet. Waiting for a flight to Asia this weekend. Thanks for the info!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looking forward to playing this as soon as I finish P5. Enjoyed the demo quite a bit.

Dragoshi1

Yes.
I just checked and this seems to be the case. The game warns you that your save will be overwritten if you start a new game and save.

That sucks, my bro and I were ready to switch off with each other thinking it had multiple slots.

Now I have to hurry and beat the game so he can have a go.

And I JUST got a Blue Yian Kut Ku too...

Dingens

there is a demo oO
completely missed that somehow... is it the same as the TGS demo?
now If I only had a way to import it... I'd rather have a physical copy on my shelf...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
DYoshiitv tweeted that he's going to stream the game for 12 hours minimum (not sure if he's joking ;) - https://www.twitch.tv/dyoshiitv

Edit:
Small tip - when praying in the village to get boost, choosing the same thing again will increase the timer, not just restart the amount of time left. For example with 5 minutes left on a 10 min prayer, praying again will set the timer to what you had +10 min.

zokie

Thanks hasemo for the OT , i have bought and preloaded the game when the demo was out.

i checked the Japanese eshop , and there are no indication of which time on Oct 8th (in japan standard time ) the game can be unlocked.

i asked a few famous monster hunter sites/tumblr on that question and no one seemed to bother to reply , well i wun be visiting or reading their site/tumblr anymore.

As i found out myself the game unlocked automatically at 12am Oct 8th Japan time.

Loving the free DLC and Navi

MHS Launch special will start streaming soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPZh47BmEA

Edit : the streaming will be a 2hours show

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
i checked the Japanese eshop , and there are no indication of which time on Oct 8th (in japan standard time ) the game can be unlocked.

i asked a few famous monster hunter sites/tumblr on that question and no one seemed to bother to reply , well i wun be visiting or reading their site/tumblr anymore.
To be fair, I looked into it a few days ago and I don't think there was any official announcement regarding the unlock time anywhere.

zokie

To be fair, I looked into it a few days ago and I don't think there was any official announcement regarding the unlock time anywhere.

Yes true , thanks for the clarification , but still they can reply they are not sure or they do not know.

anyway , all this content are FREE , to be release later

BriBri

Kumamon DLC is available but wtf - it's an Arzuros quest and I just fucking killed two. Why can't I give Nabiru his Kuma-onesie? ;-(

Edit: I got it!

tumblr_oehv5cRwnK1s2z1y6o7_r3_400.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Subbed! I won't be playing the import (just praying every day for a localization announcement), but I did order the amiibo off amiami sooo... that's a start!

Really hope this game delivers on the promise of a MH RPG

Gradivus

I'm nearly 8 hours in, level 13 so far. I've arrived at what seems to be the main city of the game.

I don't really care much for the music, thou game play/graphics is great.

BriBri

I'm nearly 8 hours in, level 13 so far. I've arrived at what seems to be the main city of the game.

I don't really care much for the music, thou game play/graphics is great.
I'm 8 hours in too but heading out now so no Monster Hunter Stories until tomorrow:-/

Game is so good but I agree the music is nothing special. Some framerate issues now and again but overall the most fun I've had on my 3DS since Planet Robobot.

I've only just created my character for now, I'll play more once I have Persona 5's platinum sometime this weekend.

One complaint I have is the blurriness of the text, damn son it can get ugly.

Dingens

anybody knows how it plays on a regular 3DS?

i

only played the demo but to my surprise it runs incredibly well. I've had like 30 fps with slight hick-ups every now and then. Also the game boots into extended ram mode like mh4 and smash.
camera control seems to suck though

Vuze

Holy hell, the framerate inconsistency is even worse than in the demo. Cutscenes partially feel like 20fps, disgusting
LOD handling for NPCs is also terrible, they are dark goo if you are too "far" away :D

But yeah, apart from that, it's kinda enjoyable so far

Dragoshi1

Gold Monster Dens are being great to me.

My Green Yian Kut Ku, my Khezu, and my Zamtrios I snagged from these are strong as hell, is it even worth it going to lesser dens?

And when do I unlock a way to discard/release junky monsters?

Also, I got both Nerscylla's, but I can't use the variant, something about its rarity being too high.

R0ckman

Enjoying the game, music seems fine to me. Cool that they added corn rows for hair. International release planned?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm currently 14 hours in the game, doing quests in the hub city, MC level 15.

While I'm enjoying the game, I can't shake off the feeling that the core gameplay isn't as fun as it could be. It's hard to pinpoint it - maybe it's mostly meaningless fights with weaker monsters, maybe it's fields which feel too big for your movement speed with not much interesting points most of the time.

Again, I think it's a good game, especially the visuals - monsters and animations look amazing, but I hope that endgame online battles will make everything more exciting. I guess I'm treating the rest of the game as a big tutorial, similar to how I feel about Pokemon games.

The famitsu review stated that it takes 50 hours to clear the story, so I guess I still have ways to go.

The story isn't half bad so far, but there hasn't been that much of it. Honestly I feel like I know more about the villagers from the 2 episodes of the anime than from these 14 hours with the game.

R0ckman

Gold Monster Dens are being great to me.

My Green Yian Kut Ku, my Khezu, and my Zamtrios I snagged from these are strong as hell, is it even worth it going to lesser dens?

And when do I unlock a way to discard/release junky monsters?

Also, I got both Nerscylla's, but I can't use the variant, something about its rarity being too high.

The party management menu under hatching mamagement. First choose party setup and select the monsters in your party you don't want, press start to dump them in the box. Then back out to the release menu on the bottom right. Press the monster to release them.

Golds just feel like longer dens. I got a bear from a regular one and I got the first monster you get, the blue one from a gold one.

Dragoshi1

The party management menu under hatching mamagement. First choose party setup and select the monsters in your party you don't want, press start to dump them in the box. Then back out to the release menu on the bottom right. Press the monster to release them.

Golds just feel like longer dens. I got a bear from a regular one and I got the first monster you get, the blue one from a gold one.
Ah, thanks. Finally released all of the Aptonoths I had.

My party are all lv20, rolling with these dudes;

Zamtrios
Green Yian Kut Ku
Black Diablos
Nerscylla variant
Gypceros(dat super sprint field ability tho)
Scarred Rathalos

I want a stronger Barroth, so that is my current goal. Hatching a gold den Barroth.

I just made it to the mining town, and the dungeon/cave full of Ioprey.

And holy crap, did the red head really
become a generic angsty Shadow the Hedgehog wannabe?

dukie85

I know this is the import thread, but is there even a small inkling of a chance for this to come West? Reallllly wanna play it, but I don't do imports.

Syril

I know this is the import thread, but is there even a small inkling of a chance for this to come West? Reallllly wanna play it, but I don't do imports.
I think there's a good chance considering that Monster Hunter has been getting consistently more popular here and how the 3DS has become something of a haven for turn-based RPGs, but it will probably be a good while before they even announce it, probably longer if they do an Ultimate version and wait to bring that over instead. They've said in the past that Monster Hunter games are actually more text-heavy than Ace Attorney, and this one is a full-blown RPG.

Ridley327

I think a lot of that will depend on how well the entire multimedia aspect is received in Japan. If the series takes off, then I think that will help make it more attractive to anime companies in the west and, by proxy, drum up a lot more interest for the game itself beyond diehard MH fans.

lo zaffo

I guess Monster Hunter Stories is a major release and every bit of information is welcomed.
I like that mice in game look like Pero from Puss 'n Boots. Very cute retro character design.

Dragoshi1

I don't know how far in I am now, but I'm at the Volcano place dealing with the two villain idiots who keep putting weird devices on strong monsters.

Navirou's true nature also showed, not gonna spoil it, but the advertising for the game did say there was something special about him.

And now current lineup, everyone is at lv25;

Scarred Rathalos
Green Yian Kut Ku(MVP of the team)
Khezu(Goddamn TANK)
Barroth(My fave monster in all of Monster Hunter)
Zamtrios(For those rare water moments, plus I unlocked Ice armor for him, so backup tank)

My 6th slot is a tie between Nerscylla Variant, who is TERRIBLE, and a Gravios I'm power leveling.

FYI; The game has a feature where you can send a team of 5 monsters out hunting(Sorta like the Meownster Hunters from Generations/Cross), to different locales, and they'll come back with loot and drops, in 20 minutes(Real time). You can close your 3DS while its going.

Even better; THEY GET EXP! Tons of it! A lv1 Monster I have when sent to the easiest place will come back Lv6.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Even better; THEY GET EXP! Tons of it! A lv1 Monster I have when sent to the easiest place will come back Lv6.
That's tons of exp? Come on, one crafted (or a quest reward) juice can get them from 1 to 9 in seconds. ;)

eyesradar

Just beat the game and onto the endgame. Had to say I really enjoyed it. I guess rock-paper-scissors battle style works? The Ult of each monster is either super cool or funny as hell or both. Definitely killing all my extra time before BF1 and Pokemon S/M on this

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just beat the game and onto the endgame. Had to say I really enjoyed it. I guess rock-paper-scissors battle style works? The Ult of each monster is either super cool or funny as hell or both. Definitely killing all my extra time before BF1 and Pokemon S/M on this
Do you unlock HR monsters/equipment after clearing the game?
If yes, do you just run around old areas and hope you're lucky?

Also, out of curiosity, how long did it take you? Given it was released on Saturday, I assume that Famitsu's 50 hour number was a bit of a stretch.
That's what they do?

I have quite a few, time to power level!
Yes, everything which mentions that it 成長 the monster just gives them exp. While the early items are pretty weak, the later ones were surprisingly good.

BriBri

Only just finding time to play again for the first time this week and I have to find the Riddle Monster (I'm on the snow levels). Any help would be appreciated. And some Paint Ball quest too> Wtf? I'm completely confused!

Holy hell, the framerate inconsistency is even worse than in the demo. Cutscenes partially feel like 20fps, disgusting
LOD handling for NPCs is also terrible, they are dark goo if you are too "far" away :D

But yeah, apart from that, it's kinda enjoyable so far

Thanks for this. Were you playing on a New 3DS?

As for the LOD itself, it's not perfect but not a bad way to do it given the 3DS's resolution and the need to save on system resources. Certainly better than removing the NPC from the scene altogether too.

Dragoshi1

Only just finding time to play again for the first time this week and I have to find the Riddle Monster (I'm on the snow levels). Any help would be appreciated. And some Paint Ball quest too> Wtf? I'm completely confused!
Bring him a Lagombi.

Top Bottom