• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's single player campaign will miss 2016 launch date

Chobel

Chev

Was anyone doubting this though? Not showing anything from SQ42 at Gamescom was a dead giveaway.

Turns out the Gamestar reporter was right, what a twist.

im_shocked.gif

I wonder how many in-game purchases this game will have. If people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on space ships before it's out, they will likely be willing to spend after the game is out!

With all these delays, they will need to make all the money. Even after the release if it ever happens.

Nzyme32

Kind of obvious to be honest. Still looking forward to seeing the finished campaign and the inevitable "scam" remarks all the way through both that and the rest of Star Citizen

THEaaron

The one thing that I don't like at all is how they pushed the funding to the maximum without stopping to fill the game with features and features and features...

Was pretty clear that this game won't see the market until 2017 or so. Heck, who says it will be even out before holiday 2017? Games take time, so that is okay. I am just unhappy about the fact that this game is bloated with promises.

I funded the game myself at the beginning of the project.

Burger

They couldn't even show off a single mission, of which there are 60+

I mean, I'm sure everyone wants this game to be incredible but it totally looks like the butter has been spread far too thin.

Burny

Kind of obvious to be honest. Still looking forward to seeing the finished campaign and the inevitable "scam" remarks all the way through both that and the rest of Star Citizen

“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”

When you sell civil space flight gameplay at 400$+ packages complete with cocktail mixing mini games, AI flight attendants and passengers, but don't have any non hostile AI characters at that point in time in your prototypes, and won't for another year. :p

No wonder they were quick to refund me, when i brought this up as my main gripe.

I'm hoping it turns out well and i might get the game then, but with not showing anything, 2017 probably isn't a lock either.

Helznicht

They couldn't even show off a single mission, of which there are 60+

I mean, I'm sure everyone wants this game to be incredible but it totally looks like the butter has been spread far too thin.

#'d missions? I thought this was a open world game with planetary landings and all that jazz?

Zojirushi

I'm not really following this game but I'm surprised to hear this was scheduled for 2016.

Judging by the way people talk about it this game always still seems super not finished.

Not just missed it, they revealed none of the missions have been completed to release quality. Some are still only at greybox, and they seem to still be early with stuff like AI.

After an initial release date of 2014, Xmas 2017 seems reasonable at this point.

shootfast

After reading how amy hennig worked insane hours, I rather wait then crunch the team. My fun is not worth draining cig of their life.

Burny

I'm not really following this game but I'm surprised to hear this was scheduled for 2016.

It was scheduled for 2014, according to Chris Roberts, the main guy behind it, who rode this kickstarter project on a wave of nostalgia driven space game enthusiasts money to a 125$Mio. dollar campaign with ongoing funding of them selling .jpg spaceships for hundreds of dollars apiece. Yet, the project has shown little beyond tech demos after now four years of development post kickstarter. Did I mention that also all the most expensive and big space ships are not playable?

The Squadron 42 campgain (single player part) is a no-show beyond some cringeworthy scripted sequences that were shown last year.

I've been vaguely following this game. Is it ever coming out?

Why, but you can help them! There's a sale for a 750$ spaceship (892.50$ in Germany, due to taxes I assume). This all benefits their funding, because with 125$Mio. dollars of backer money and at about four years since the kickstarter they really need all the money they can get from you to progress past prototype stage.

As exchange, they'll show a scripted fetch quest or some explosion tech demos and promise some updates for their playable alpha tech demos that may or may not come.

Is the flight model good you ask? Does it have depth? Let Chris Roberts handwave for himself:

KrWR38.gif

After reading how amy hennig worked insane hours, I rather wait then crunch the team. My fun is not worth draining cig of their life.
I really understand what Amy was saying but I swear to the gaming gods if this is now the go to response when something happens with games it's going to be annoying

Chev

Judging by the way people talk about it this game always still seems super not finished.
Well, it was actually first scheduled for 2014. Then 2016. Now, who knows?

Pit

Not just missed it, they revealed none of the missions have been completed to release quality. Some are still only at greybox, and they seem to still be early with stuff like AI.

After an initial release date of 2014, Xmas 2017 seems reasonable at this point.

Don't try justify it lol. 3 years later isn't reasonable. No matter the scope and ambition. They need to show us real improvement, and today hasnt really helped but to further solidify the notion that they are trying to do too much.

shootfast

I really understand what Amy was saying but I swear to the gaming gods if this is now the go to response when something happens with games it's going to be annoying

Here's the thing they can be late as they want as long they release a great game and all would be forgiven. Release a bad game and you can see the No man sky fallout, better take the short term disappointment hit then long term anger.

Axial

The only thing I was looking forward to play in SC. Oh well, guess this was expected considering all the controversies surrounding the development.

They've been crunching like mad for years already, they've released major patches at midnight when people are still in the office, and then the head developer denies crunch in interviews, even though his wife uploads photos of how hard people are working at 10pm.

Sevenfold

Last night's presentation worth watching from a 'new gaming tech' perspective? Not that interested in the game but I've enjoyed the 'Oooh Aaaah' element in the demos last time round.

I have it on good authority that there are several members of the development team (In the UK studio at least) that do not think this game will ever be released, and aren't really bothered about it anyway. They're content with milking the mismanaged cash-cow until it's dry and then they'll move on. Can't say I blame them. At least someone is getting something good out of this game.

dumbo

Surely they mean it will "miss it's 2014 launch date"?

It seems like this will now launch alongside ME4 (which seems to have entered full production around the same time as SC/SQ42).

vivekTO

Last night's presentation worth watching from a 'new gaming tech' perspective? Not that interested in the game but I've enjoyed the 'Oooh Aaaah' element in the demos last time round.

No , nothing new except Planets v2.0 demo , which is also barebones, I was also expecting something of that kind of elements.

Reading the comments:

Why do they seem get a free pass with this?
Because a lot of people have money invested in this. As someone who used to put money into Kickstarters it can be hard to admit you have misgivings about something because it a direct call on your judgement with your money.

jond76

Banned
I'm really curious to see how far along Elite is (space legs, atmospheric planets) by the time this is out.

mandiller

Reading the comments:

Why do they seem get a free pass with this?

They don't in my books. Star Citizen has turned into such nonsense. All these paid for ships are ridiculous. If they cost hundreds of real world dollars how much does the game need to turn into a second job for me to grind out enough credits to buy one in game? I backed the game way back on Kickstarter, but hopefully I don't have to 'insert credit card here' to actually play through the single player. 'Upgrade missiles for $20' for the next mission. That's what I'm picturing in my mind.

Top Bottom