• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newsweek: Donald Trump helped spread Russian disinformation about Hillary Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.newsweek.com/vladimir-pu...-clinton-donald-trump-benghazi-sputnik-508635

I am Sidney Blumenthal. At least, that is what Vladimir Putin—and, somehow, Donald Trump—seem to believe. And that should raise concerns not only about Moscow’s attempts to manipulate this election, but also how Trump came to push Russian disinformation to American voters.

An email from Blumenthal—a confidant of Hillary Clinton and a man, second only to George Soros at the center of conservative conspiracy theories—turned up in the recent document dump by Wikileaks. At a time when American intelligence believes Russian hackers are trying to interfere with the presidential election, records have been fed recently to Wikileaks out of multiple organizations of the Democratic Party, raising concerns that the self-proclaimed whistleblowers group has become a tool of Putin’s government. But now that I have been brought into the whole mess—and transformed into Blumenthal—there is even more proof that this act of cyberwar is not only being orchestrated by the Russians, but that they are really, really dumb.

The evidence emerged thanks to the incompetence of Sputnik, the Russian online news and radio service established by the government controlled news agency, Rossiya Segodnya.

At a rally in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, Trump spoke while holding a document in his hand. He told the assembled crowd that it was an email from Blumenthal, whom he called “sleazy Sidney.”

“This just came out a little while ago,’’ Trump said. “I have to tell you this.” And then he read the words from my article.

“He’s now admitting they could have done something about Benghazi,’’ Trump said, dropping the document to the floor. “This just came out a little while ago.”

The crowd booed and chanted, “Lock her up!”

This is not funny. It is terrifying. The Russians engage in a sloppy disinformation effort and, before the day is out, the Republican nominee for president is standing on a stage reciting the manufactured story as truth. How did this happen? Who in the Trump campaign was feeding him falsehoods straight from the Kremlin? (The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment).

The article is lengthy, but I would recommend reading the whole thing.

RDreamer

Read it after it was posted in the other thread. Trump's Russia connections really don't get enough attention by voters. It's ridiculous and scary... and kind of hilariously weird coming from the republican side...

Jeffrey

I mean, at some point at finding new 'bad stories' on hillary you gotta look in the weirder parts of the net.

I wonder if putin is personally DMing him on twitter these links though lol.

Goodstyle

The implication is that Trump isn't just some guy that checks out Russian propaganda, it seems like he is being directly fed that information in a way that is highly unnatural. This tweet puts it best:

"So basically Trump and Sputnik had the same set of incorrect facts. Only them. Only Trump and a Russian propaganda outlet. Let it sink in"

He is basically a Russian puppet candidate.

So basically, Trump touting that disinformation, with the only source coming from a known Russian propaganda organization, is proof that Trump is buddy-buddy with Russia?

It's certainly suspicious, to say the least. It's not enough to say Trump himself is intentionally acting in favor of Russia, but it's clear that someone in his campaign is. Does anyone think this will be investigated?

Gattsu25

Banned
The implication is that Trump isn't just some guy picking that checks out Russian propoganda, it seems like he is being directly fed that information in a way that is highly unnatural. This tweet puts it best:

"So basically Trump and Sputnik had the same set of incorrect facts. Only them. Only Trump and a Russian propaganda outlet. Let it sink in"

He is basically a Russian puppet candidate.

Exactly this. It's pretty fucking insane how overt they are with this.

Averon

Conservatives spent decades tar and feathering their opponents as communists yet they nominate a Russian puppet candidate.

The irony here can give you whiplash.

theWB27

So basically, Trump touting that disinformation, with the only source coming from a known Russian propaganda organization, is proof that Trump is buddy-buddy with Russia?

It's certainly suspicious, to say the least. It's not enough to say Trump himself is intentionally acting in favor of Russia, but it's clear that someone in his campaign is. Does anyone think this will be investigated?

It's someone, but not trump? Haven't he and putin been buddy buddy with the compliments too?

It's someone, but not trump? Haven't he and putin been buddy buddy with the compliments too?

Trump is far too much of an idiot to be functional as a mole. It's not like he only brings up Russian propaganda.

Works well as a "useful idiot", though.

epmode

The story's far too complicated to get any real traction with the public, but yeah, Trump's entire campaign is a disaster.

I'm worried about where we go from here, what with fringe conspiracy theories and Russian propaganda being cited at a goddamned Presidential debate.

Jeffrey

isn't the justice department or some government branch looking into trump's connection with russia already?

can't be too hard to find when he's basically showing off his putin tramp stamp daily.

GhaleonEB

isn't the justice department or some government branch looking into trump's connection with russia already?

can't be too hard to find when he's basically showing off his putin tramp stamp daily.

At the very least his security clearances need to be revoked immediately.

theWB27

Trump is far too much of an idiot to be functional as a mole. It's not like he only brings up Russian propaganda.

Works well as a "useful idiot", though.

He may be an idiot, but I don't think that applies when he's being shady.

I still chuckled at useful idiot.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
At the very least his security clearances need to be revoked immediately.

Yeah I don't understand how this blatant Putin puppet can have security clearances. What a clusterfuck of a presidential candidate he is.

-edit-
on a side note I was talking about this earlier the other day and referred to him as a Putin puppet but accidentally called him a "poopin puppet". just thought you all should know this.

Trump may be a useless Russian puppet but I will remember that puppet fondly as the creature that executed Jeb Bush on live television for months and rebranded Ted Cruz as a nursery rhyme villain.

But now his job is done and he can go back to his tower and die.

Jombie

Nothing surprises me anymore

*BREAKING: newly unearthed classified government documents link Trump to Kennedy assassination. Trump responds: 'I'm embarrassed. I was young. I'm a straight shooter, and I can tell you know one has more respect for Kennedy than me. Okay?'

Caja 117

So, When is Trump legally liable for this? And based on all of the Intelligency agencies working in US, woulndt they already be aware and better informed of this?

Cuburt

Nothing surprises me anymore

*BREAKING: newly unearthed classified government documents link Trump to Kennedy assassination. Trump responds: 'I'm embarrassed. I was young. I'm a straight shooter, and I can tell you know one has more respect for Kennedy than me. Okay?'
He seems sincere and repentant. I forgive him.

riotous

Banned
I'm not sure if blindly parroting anything posted on Reddit is a step up from surfing Russian propaganda sites.

At least we get yet another confirmation that Donald Trump is not very smart.

And I'll add...

The very first post, which is also the top rated post, says that the email is quoting Newsweek.

So possible Trump camp still got it from Sputnik, or saw it on The_Donald and completely ignored the warning in the first post...etc.,etc.

Just pointing out that it's not exactly true that this was ONLY posted on Sputnik.

shiba5

So his October Hillary surprise backfired. /shockednotshocked
They need to stop giving him security briefings.

Toxi

Banned
And I'll add...

The very first post, which is also the top rated post, says that the email is quoting Newsweek.

So possible Trump camp still got it from Sputnik, or saw it on The_Donald and completely ignored the warning in the first post...etc.,etc.

Just pointing out that it's not exactly true that this was ONLY posted on Sputnik.
I get the feeling Donald Trump were a NeoGAF poster, he'd never read the OP.

And I'll add...

Wasn't the the_donald post written after the rally in Wilkes-Barre?

Cuburt

Conservatives spent decades tar and feathering their opponents as communists yet they nominate a Russian puppet candidate.

The irony here can give you whiplash.
This whole election seems to be filled with irony like this, including discrediting the media as liberally biased which has pushed some groups to reject all media, including Conservative media that is against Trump.

Even if Trump is a propaganda puppet for Russia, they wouldn't believe it. It would just be another false story by the liberal media.

Gattsu25

Banned
And I'll add...

Nah, that's just reddit's wonky sorting. The first post is just a link to the wikileaks page for the hacked email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom