• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Switch fails to turn on investors, surprises unannounced

ggx2ac

Investors on Friday shrugged off the announcement, sending the company’s share price down 6.5%.

Some investors blamed a lack of surprise in the announcement for the lukewarm market response, saying the company raised high expectations by withholding details about the hardware for more than a year.

Nintendo hinted it still has unannounced surprises up its sleeve. “We haven’t shown everything,” a Nintendo spokesman said, adding the company would provide additional information about the Switch next year, before its scheduled launch in March.

Piers Harding-Rolls, head of games research at IHS, said extensive third-party support, along with a price tag below $300, would be key for the console to be a much-needed success for Nintendo.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-new-switch-console-fails-to-turn-on-investors-1477034448

More at the link.

SomTervo

What haven't they announced? The spec?

I wonder if this was all they had and now they're changing stuff up to keep the shareholders happy.

orochi91

Withholding further information for the remainder of 2016 is pointless and extremely frustrating.

They should lay out all the cards at this point.

Just announce a Pokemon Go port to it.

Im actually shocked by this. I've had no interest in Nintendo since the N64 days and this console/handheld looks amazing to me.

Mailbox

The fact that the stock sank because of investor's "lack of surprise" and not having anything to do with how much media coverage this thing is getting across the board just shows how damn fickle, feeling heavy, and just plain stupid the stock market is...

Mrbob

What haven't they announced? The spec?

I wonder if this was all they had and now they're changing stuff up to keep the shareholders happy.
Investors don't care about Nintendo consoles or portables. They want Nintendo to own the mobile Market.

Randomizer

Shareholders only care about mobile. Unless Nintendo announce some form of mobile integration I doubt they will ever care.

AzaK

I just don't understand the rationale behind keeping information until next year...

Not much to show yet
PS4 Pro coming out
PSVR here
3DS still to sell games for
Wii U stock to clear

There is no need for Nintendo to show anything now. 2 months of hardcore marketting is more than enough

Pretty sure if they confirmed those mobile compatibility rumors (i.e. being able to use apps like Super Mario Run and Pokemon Go), stock would just rush to the top before crashing down again.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Shocking news: 1 billion gained the day before on nothing, a bit over 1 billion lost the day after on nothing.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not much to show yet
PS4 Pro coming out
PSVR here
3DS still to sell games for
Wii U stock to clear

There is no need for Nintendo to show anything now. 2 months of hardcore marketting is more than enough

They have enough to show - but they dont need to right now. They are right on track with their launch plans.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
It looks pretty bad, the controller configuration in all forms looks disgusting and uncomfortable. Weak hardware to boot.

The games will hopefully save it.

JoeM86

Hope this pushes them somehow to release more info, maybe if they get grilled in the investors meeting

Doubt it.

This is how the stock market is. Buy on rumour, sell on news.

It looks pretty bad, the controller configuration in all forms looks disgusting and uncomfortable. Weak hardware to boot.

The games will hopefully save it.

For a portable, the hardware is anything but weak. Just because it's not PS4 Pro level doesn't mean it's weak. Come the hell on.

Not really surprising. While it looks like it could be a fine console, I have a hard time seeing the appeal to a broad market. Investors want Wii numbers, this is probably primarily going to sell to the classic Nintendo fans.

Aleh

They could have shown a portable console with more power than a high end PC for $99 and stock would have still gone down. No surprise

oti

Banned
A share drop is not surprising but I like the reasoning of the analysts. It's not surprising is exactly what a casual friend of mine told me when I showed him Switch.

I think the big question here is who Switch is for. In Japan consoles have a tough time, in the West handhelds have a tough time. So no matter from where you look at it Switch is always kinda odd. Some will also fear it will go the way of the Vita but since it's Nintendo I doubt that.

Anyway, none of this matters if the price is low enough.

Top Bottom