• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I crazy to think that Switch will do worse than Wii U if it doesn't run Android?

I like the switch from what they have revealed so far. But I can't see myself buying it if it doesn't run Android apps. I can't justify carrying that fairly sizable tablet thingy around only to play Nintendo's new games when I already carry an Android tablet around that I need other things for it to do.

I think Switch would be a great success if it is an Android based tablet that also exclusively plays new gen Nintendo games. But conversely, I think it would do quite worse than the Wii U if it runs proprietary OS and can't function as Android tablet replacement.

[edit]Most, if not all Nintendo fans in NeoGAF will be buying the Switch anyways, as they did with the Wii U. But I'm talking about Switch aiming for bigger marketshare and success than the Wii U, which obviously is what Nintendo is aiming for. Don't you think Android app capability is important for mass market gains for that form factor?[/edit]

Chime in this thread with your opinions on whether Android app compatibility is crucial for Switch's success or not.

You know, I could see it having some appeal as an Android tablet...especially with the fact the screen is totally independent

But required? Nah

Android tablet aren't that big and are pretty crowded in the low to mid range budget, I don't think it'll change anything.

So yes you're crazy OP

I have a honkin 5.7" phone but somethings I hate doing on my phone like comics and whatnot because it's too small. If Switch was tiny like GPD XD, I would agree with you guys, but this thing has similar footprint as 7~8" tablets. I think it needs to run Android at that size...

I don't care if it has android, already have my phone of that. All it needs is some of the most popular apps, like Netflix, YouTube, FB maybe, etc.

Jyrz

Neo Member
Nintendo phone? Naw, I'd rather have a console for games rather than another home theater box that collects dust. I really dig the portability option, but I'm a freak who keeps their 3DS on them at all times, stocked with 50 or so digital downloads.

I think it would be a boon to have Android, but it's probably not happening. At the very least it needs to have standard tablet-like apps available on it at launch.

vern

Yes you are crazy. Switch will handily surpass Wii U unless Nintendo completely shits the bed on games and marketing. The concept itself is a winner.

SeanIfOnly

Neo Member
I do think they are going to announce a "mobile developer platform" and allow people to move their games over simply and easily. If you take the EA meeting rumor to heart, it is clear that they will also have entertainment applications coming too. I think they wanted to announce with a strong focus on the core experience without complicating the message.

No matter what, with all their internal developers working on NS as well as he hype we have seen online, NS will dominate WiiU's numbers.

What makes you think people will want to buy Switch over a cheaper or better tablet, or the one they already have? For Nintendo games? If that's the case then Nintendo won't have a problem in the first place. I don't think Android app support will make or break Switch's success.

Android means it'll get hacked in like a week and pirated to shit. It'll probably get media apps and indie games if that's what you want.
The Switch's appeal isn't just that it's a tablet with controllers.

I already carry around my Android phone, which can play Pokémon Go, Miitomo, Angry Birds, Candy Crush, plus it runs Outlook.

I carry around my 3DS because it can play Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Animal Crossing.

I'll carry around the Switch to play Skyrim and Splatoon.

Running Android will open up the Switch to the next Towelroot type wide vulnerability. Even worse, It will also possibly allow other Android devices to run Switch games, if the DRM is cracked. This would absolutely kill the console.

So while I admit I take my phone places more than my 3DS, the Switch running Android will still be redundant to my phone. I'm carrying it around to play Nintendo games, not smartphone apps

Dante_727

Banned
That wouldnt be wise. I am sure it would get hacked quickly since the OS is known for a long time. A new OS by nintendo would be much harder to crack.

I love android but there is no need for it be be everywhere

Yes OP. The lack of Android was what caused the Wii U to fail.

All these years everybody was thinking it. But nobody could get the courage to speak up.

jonno394

I don't care if it has android, already have my phone of that. All it needs is some of the most popular apps, like Netflix, YouTube, FB maybe, etc.

This. Peiple use tablets for Internet, ereader and YouTube mostly whenever I see them. As long as switch is competent in these regards then it could theoretically replace peoples tablets.

coastel

Unless I have this wrong the switch is the new handheld to and they always sell well. Your combining console and handheld hardware sales so it should sell very well. I think.

Let's just say, most Nintendo fans in NeoGAF will be buying the Switch anyways, as they did with the Wii U. But I'm talking about Switch aiming for bigger marketshare and success than the Wii U, which obviously is what Nintendo is aiming for. Don't you think Android app capability is important for mass market gains for that form factor?

Noobcraft

If it runs Android it will almost certainly fail lol. It would probably get rooted in hours to days and piracy would be absolutely wild.

SivArcher

Neo Member
Nope I don't need to pay another couple hundred dollars to another tablet.
And stop calling the Switch as tablet its not a tablet.
People who intend to buy Switch is for playing games, not android games. Its like you have a tablet but you will still carrying your 3DS or PSVita around for playing games.
Its totally different things and reason why people buy them.
A people who wants a tablet will definitely not picking up Switch.
Anyway, this is just my opinion.

DMONKUMA

Would the Switch be successful if it had cod on the go?

On-Topic:
But I don't think android would cause the Switch to be a success so you're crazy :p

BooJoh

I think it could easily have the same problems as every other non-Wii Nintendo console since N64 and will probably quickly lose third party support like in previous generations (as someone who was buying this thing day 1 before they even announced that they were making a new console, I'd love to be wrong,) but I don't think running android apps would fix that.

Let's just say, most Nintendo fans in NeoGAF will be buying the Switch anyways, as they did with the Wii U. But I'm talking about Switch aiming for bigger marketshare and success than the Wii U, which obviously is what Nintendo is aiming for. Don't you think Android app capability is important for mass market gains for that form factor?
Wii U wasn't portable, it had an awful name, and a confusing concept.
It might look like a Wii U if you just glance at it, but it's not. There's really not much to compare here.

Nessus

If it ran Android it'd be flooded with piracy within days of launch.

Also I suspect Android has considerably more overhead than whatever bare bones operating system Nintendo's built for this thing, wasting a bunch of processing power, RAM, and battery life.

wsippel

Banned
I use my Android tablet to run Chrome. That's the only app I actually really use. Most people I know only run browsers on their tablets, or apps that are just glorified websites and completely pointless because you could get the same functionality just using a browser. If Switch does that, and does it well, that's probably enough for most people.

Randomizer

Gross. Android is a horrible platform for getting the most out of a device's specs. The amount of overhead and bloat is just too much.

Sayad

It can't possibly do worse than the WiiU. It could do as bad as the WiiU in cracking the casual market, but even then, just targeting both core Nintendo handheld and consoles fans is enough for it to do better than the WiiU.

Wii U wasn't portable, it had an awful name, and a confusing concept.
It might look like a Wii U if you just glance at it, but it's not. There's really not much to compare here.

I certainly don't think it's anything like a Wii U. It's a very different and new, but also very umm... inevitable approach shall we say? I think the most pertinent similarity with Wii U would be 3rd party support compared to MS and Sony because the power level is so different as was Wii U.

Top Bottom