• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shares dip as analyst predicts "substantially disappointing" Titanfall 2 sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poster#1

Smart decision EA.

The general consensus seems to be that Titanfall 2 is very, very good. (We're still working on it, but the indications are very promising so far.) But as this CNBC report makes clear, making a good game does not necessarily guarantee commensurate riches. Electronic Arts' share price dropped by more than four percent today, following analyst predictions that Titanfall 2 sales will come in far below what was expected.

"We are downgrading EA shares ... because we believe that Titanfall 2 sales are going to be substantially disappointing, enough to offset [the] upside from Battlefield 1," Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz wrote in a note to clients. "We expect a correction in shares between now and early next year as we believe the stock is priced for upside to current Street consensus."

Too many shooters all in the same window of release. I still haven't scratched the surface I feel like with Battlefield.

They basically had two horses in the race. By that I mean one was from a championship pedigree, raised in the most prestigious farm, and trained to peak physicality like no other. The other one was basically fished out of the glue factory, and likely being sent right back.

tait269

They probably wanted it to be a direct competitor to Infinite Warfare.

Q3:BF1
Q4:TF2
Q1:Mass Effect

Would have been better.

Iced Arcade

I don't understand how these companies don't stop and think "hmm maybe we shouldn't launch of game in the over crowded fall season"

EA wanted to overwhelm cod players with choice this year figuring it'd make some switch over, it's definitely gonna cost someone some copies. But they hurt themselves for the people that would've bought all three but not won't cause of time or financial restraints.

Release date was a bad choice and it was removed from the EA access 10% discount and trial system, the beta also showed some unwanted changes to the fanbase.

It stops me buying it for the time being.

liquidtmd

Banned
Titanfall 2 when played could have been the finest shooter ever created by God himself, it was ALWAYS going to get this feedback and there is no-one to blame but EAs scheduling team

Totally called this. Releasing a miltary shooter in such close proximity to a miltary shooter while the world's biggest miltary shooter is a couple of weeks away from release was always going to mean one of them would suffer. Unsurprisingly, it's Titanfall.

xrnzaaas

This is the biggest release fuck up since Eidos decided to make Tomb Raider an Xbox exclusive. I'm not interested in Titanfall 2, but I hope that all the shit caused by (potentially) low sales won't turn towards Respawn.

DSix

Banned
They just wanted to destroy COD's chances even if it meant sacrificing one of their shooters for it.

What were they thinking releasing it at the end of October. That people we're going to spend $200 on 3 FPS games. I know there's a group of people that purchase COD and BF whenever those two games converge but that's a small percentage. EA couldn't have possibly believed that people we're going to purchase TF2 in addition to one of the other two games. Most people choose 1 and call it a year. Should have been launched in March where it wouldn't have COD and BF1 cannibalizing its sales.

I hope that all the shit caused by (potentially) low sales won't turn towards Respawn.

Incoming Titanfall card battle game and/or Titanfall MOBA!

Poor respawn. TF looks great but in this day and age there really is no point in anyone making a competitive shooter.

Xater

Everyone saw this from miles away except the people that probably have 6 figure salaries to decided these things.

Release date was a bad choice and it was removed from the EA access 10% discount and trial system, the beta also showed some unwanted changes to the fanbase.

No EA access stinks. That EA access made me 100% comfortable with buying BF1. I think games in general need demos more often.

Jeff6851

The launched their online shooter a week after their other online shooter. We've been calling this since release dates were announced.

This is all fair criticism, but I doubt these are factors that contributed to the analyst's conclusion.

rdytoroll

The game is amazing, really fun SP and MP. One day after launch there are already game modes where only 300-400 players are online. Really disappointing if the sale predictions are turning out to be true. Why EA, just why? You have an amazing game on your hands and you throw it out between BF1 and Cod. Sigh

The game is amazing, really fun SP and MP. One day after launch there are already game modes where only 300-400 players are online. Really disappointing if the sale predictions are turning out to be true. Why EA, just why? You have an amazing game on your hands and you throw it out between BF1 and Cod. Sigh
Wow, that's way too low of a player base for a game that just launched. What system were you playing on?

BigEmil

Such a shame. I have Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 and enjoying Titanfall 2 much more in both campaign and multiplayer.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sad, I like it more than Overwatch, Doom and BF1.

That doesn't mean anything today. It will mean something if you can say the same a month from now, or 6 months from.

Which game are you going to keep going back to, which game are you going to put more money into, etc.

I'm talking multiplayer, of course.

I've played Titanfall 2 for a day. Seems like a decent game. I'll probably not play it for very long for the same reasons I stopped playing CoD games. I will keep playing Overwatch and BF1 though, pretty much for the life of the games. The similarity in feel to CoD is probably why the release date is what it is, IMHO. Beat Activision to the punch, saturate the mp shooter market while offering at least one game the cod-specific crowd should find appealing.

Such a dumb decision. In a lineup of online shooters like this fall, I'm only going to have time for one. And I chose BF1. I'd happy have bought TF2 if it was earlier in the year as a break between OW and BF1.

I'm currently enjoying BF1 and I'm hoping I can squeeze out time for CoD. This is with me still owning Overwatch and Destiny. Yea TF2 is getting no love.

Foxxsoxx

Such a shame. Game looks great, reviews great, runs great, but isn't selling great.

Maybe it'll pull a Rainbow Six and have great legs.

Rizific

Blows my mind why EA decided to put out tf2 a whole week after bf1. Then they predict less than stellar sales. No. Fucking. Shit. I for one am interested in tf2. But no pc beta + bf1 turned that game from a day 1 to day-whenever its on sale and I feel like it's worth it after getting just a little burned out on bf1. Shame because from I've seen tf2 is reviewing pretty well. Reap what you sow, I guess.

BPoole

EA is dumb for launching Titanfall 2 and BFOne alongside one another. Why on earth would a company want their products competing with eachother

ViciousDS

Banned

I know pilot vs pilot isn't an enticing mode, especially for a game with the name Titan fall........ But only 300 players in my region and only 29k players online total for a game that LITERALLY just launched

This community will die even faster than the first. At least it has a legit campaign

Maybe shouldn't have gone after Call Of Duty
titanfall_2_call_of_duty_rt_to_pay_respects_by_digi_matrix-dampym7.png

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1286678&page=1

jeffc919

The game is excellent. People that buy this year's COD instead of it are really doing themselves a disservice and missing out on a far better game. I'm not just saying that to pile on and bash COD. I was somewhat critical of the TF2 demo this summer but it had the makings of a great game and Respawn took the steps to make it better. I also had COD preordered but playing several hours of its beta was more than enough to show me that it was not a game worth playing with much better offerings available.

atpbx

I don't think it's just the fact that it's released so close to other, far better shooters with fan bases orders of magnitude larger than Titanfalls to begin with.

It's that if you are a filthy casual, you won't even know this game exists, it's had virtually zero marketing, certainly in the U.K.

People know all about BF one and COD, they are on TV, in the cinema, all over the web etc.

Titanfall 2 on the other hand is a sideline, in a kind of "hey everyone, here is the sequel to the massively overhyped but actually a bit shit Titanfall from a couple of years ago! You remember? The one that we said was the next big thing but died on its arse 5 minutes later. Yeah well, this one is a bit better, and we've chucked in a half baked single player campaign as well! So..... here it is, titanfall 2! It's like COD, but not as good, and it's got robots, but you can't use them all the time, and yeah, titanfall 2 everyone!" Way.

Of course it's not going to tear up any trees.

scitek

I don't think it's just the fact that it's released so close to other, far better shooters with fan bases orders of magnitude larger than Titanfalls to begin with.

It's that if you are a filthy casual, you won't even know this game exists, it's had virtually zero marketing, certainly in the U.K.

People know all about BF one and COD, they are on TV, in the cinema, all over the web etc.

Titanfall 2 on the other hand is a sideline, in a kind of "hey everyone, here is the sequel to the massively overhyped but actually a bit shit Titanfall from a couple of years ago! You remember? The one that we said was the next big thing but died on its arse 5 minutes later. Yeah well, this one is a bit better, and we've chucked in a half baked single player campaign as well! So..... here it is, titanfall 2! It's like COD, but not as good, and it's got robots, but you can't use them all the time, and yeah, titanfall 2 everyone!" Way.

Of course it's not going to tear up any trees.

It's better than any Call of Duty I've played in at least 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom