• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Special Edition - Mods Thread: Thomas the Tank Engine Strikes Back

DOWN

Banned
Post info and tips on good mods, mod combinations, and how to correctly order the mods that have been ported to the Special Edition.

Mods from the standard edition are being ported over by many modders, but it is a bit tricky to filter through right now so help your GAFamily out with the ones you like.

Official site for mods on PS4, Xbox One, and PC:

https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/skyrim

Popular mod resources:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/?

http://skyrimgems.com

Original standard edition mods thread (some good tutorials and more here):
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=457617

Let me know anything else I should add to the OP

image.gif

Bessy67

So I just posted this in the Skyrim SE OT but now that this thread exists I'll post here as well:

Can someone explain how to figure out the correct load order for mods? I've been a console gamer all my life so my experience with mods is extremely limited. I want to try quite a few mods but apparently the load order can affect how the game runs, so some help would be appreciated. I'm specifically looking at the unofficial patch, the open cities, the alternate start, ars metallica, ring of increased carry weight, the forgotten city, lampposts of skyrim, belt-fastened quivers and lore based loading screens but may go for more.

Trying to find a mod that enables hot keys (Favourites) when using a controller, 2 is not enough.

Where do I access controls through files, which ini because I may be able to do it manually?

orhnsnmz

So let's say I have never played Skyrim before and got the Remastered edition now.

Should I play the game vanilla or definitely install some mods (like SkyUI and some graphical enhancements) right away to get the most out of the game?

Does this look better than Fallout 4? Since I found our old saves still work, I think I might just play more Skyrim instead of Fallout.

I think it should be a thread rule that if anyone finds a good mod they should also put what platform it's available for seeing as the ps4 has restrictions.

So let's say I have never played Skyrim before and got the Remastered edition now.

Should I play the game vanilla or definitely install some mods (like SkyUI and some graphical enhancements) right away to get the most out of the game?

Everyone's mileage is a little different, but I personally need the mods to get the most out of it, SkyUI is one of those godlike ones that I couldn't do without.

So I just posted this in the Skyrim SE OT but now that this thread exists I'll post here as well:

Can someone explain how to figure out the correct load order for mods? I've been a console gamer all my life so my experience with mods is extremely limited. I want to try quite a few mods but apparently the load order can affect how the game runs, so some help would be appreciated. I'm specifically looking at the unofficial patch, the open cities, the alternate start, ars metallica, ring of increased carry weight, the forgotten city, lampposts of skyrim, belt-fastened quivers and lore based loading screens but may go for more.

mods later in the load order overwrite the changes of mods earlier in the load order. If mods are modifying the same set of files/systems/things only the last mod in the load order will apply generally speaking. I think you should be fine with those mods, (I haven't tried myself) but keep in mind that the open cities mod does mean you cannot change or add to the buildings within cities without running into issues. All of your other mods generally seem fine, or atleast don't appear to be prone to conflicts, and the unofficial patch should probably go first. I think you're good with any old order for the rest.

Bessy67

mods later in the load order overwrite the changes of mods earlier in the load order. If mods are modifying the same set of files/systems/things only the last mod in the load order will apply generally speaking. I think you should be fine with those mods, (I haven't tried myself) but keep in mind that the open cities mod does mean you cannot change or add to the buildings within cities without running into issues. All of your other mods generally seem fine, or atleast don't appear to be prone to conflicts, and the unofficial patch should probably go first. I think you're good with any old order for the rest.
Cool, thanks!

MBison

I like graphical enhancements the most. Anything out that enhances the atmosphere - weather, day/night transitions, etc?

zma1013

Definitely install some of the QoL improvements at least, SKYUI is a must have.

Make your own decision regarding graphical mods, some can drastically alter the look of the game and may not fit in while other try to stay true to the original look. If you like the way something looks then try it.

I don't think there is a good argument for vanilla Skyrim. If you are afraid to change the balance of the game too much, there are bug fix and quality of life mods that you should look into at least.

SOLDIER

Is there a mod out yet that auto-hides the UI?

Used to love having that in the original Skyrim so I could take screenshots.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I want some sweet-ass weapon mods, are there any available yet? Like a comprehensive set?

RK9039

Subbed for later, I'll install the game again when there are actually good mods.

I want some sweet-ass weapon mods, are there any available yet? Like a comprehensive set?

Nope, might have to wait a week or two I'm guessing. I think the Creationkit is needed first.

Chumley

Banned
total character overhaul -http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1037/?

static mesh improvement mod -http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/659/?

Danlord

Thanks!

Wait, the XBONE version of Fallout 4 supports mods as well?

Yeah, the Xbox One has almost full mod support for Fallout 4, including texture and model replacements, something which the PS4 version will lack when it launches. This means increased textures, new models for things like weapons, clothes, hairstyles etc. are possible on Xbox One. New audio files like new radio station (I hear Atomic Radio is a good mod). The PS4 is limited to only mods that configure existing files within the game, so no new assets can be used, only those that ship with the game.

Also, the Xbox One version has 2GB limit for mods, though it is being investigated at being extended. Unknown about the PS4 version too.

Thought I'd add a little more.

gray_fox224

Yeah, the Xbox One has almost full mod support for Fallout 4, including texture and model replacements, something which the PS4 version will lack when it launches. This means increased textures, new models for things like weapons, clothes, hairstyles etc. are possible on Xbox One. New audio files like new radio station (I hear Atomic Radio is a good mod). The PS4 is limited to only mods that configure existing files within the game, so no new assets can be used, only those that ship with the game.

Also, the Xbox One version has 2GB limit for mods, though it is being investigated at being extended. Unknown about the PS4 version too.

Thought I'd add a little more.

Thanks for the breakdown danlord

SnowTeeth

Banned
total character overhaul -http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1037/?

I really wanted to like use this considering the mesh fixes and texture updates, but I find the human faces are just too "clean" for my liking. It's a good package though.

Danlord

I though the Xbox had a 5gb limit in total and a 1gb limit for any individual mod?

Oh I'm not sure, the last I remember reading was 2GB though it could easily have been upgraded. I don't have the Xbox One version so I haven't been keeping on top of the news for that platform. I was waiting for any confirmation for PS4 version (which I have) so I may be outdated with the Xbox One news.

Ryzaki009

Oh I'm not sure, the last I remember reading was 2GB though it could easily have been upgraded. I don't have the Xbox One version so I haven't been keeping on top of the news for that platform. I was waiting for any confirmation for PS4 version (which I have) so I may be outdated with the Xbox One news.

Ah okay.

Man with nexus down I'm half tempted to just use Bethesda's platform. >_>

Brannon

I've installed the apocalyptic magic mod, and the game says that it is in effect, so do I have to find/buy the spells like normal?

Still waiting on a mod that makes most npcs non-essential. I'm on PS4, but just removing the essential marker on npcs should still be something you can do in a PS4 mod, right?

SlickVic

Regarding SkyUI and mods in general, just keep in mind the mod scene for this game right now is much more limited than the original game for the following reasons

1. The mod tools (Creation Kit) for making new mods is still in closed beta (only a handful of modders have access to it currently), though Bethesda has stated it'll be released to the public next week.

2. The bigger one is SKSE, or Skyrim Script Extender, which is essentially an additional tool to create some of the fancier mods (like SkyUI) is not available on Skyrim SE currently. The team behind SKSE have stated on their site that they're looking into bringing it over to Skyrim SE, but it's a lot of work, and there's no ETA for when that'll be completed. If you want to read more about it, you can check this out.

So it's probably going to be some time before mods like SkyUI are supported in Skyrim SE.

Danlord

Still waiting on a mod that makes most npcs non-essential. I'm on PS4, but just removing the essential marker on npcs should still be something you can do in a PS4 mod, right?

In theory, yeah because it only modifies existing file(s) within the game, not adding anything to the game since it would be changing existing attributes. The issue now is if mod creators will put in the effort for PS4 mods, since it's such a limited implementation versus the Xbox One version which would be more full on.

Geist-

So, been a while since I even touched Skyrim. Is there any point to the Special Edition on PC? Did they make any improvements that can't be fixed with the excessive amount of mods the normal edition has?

darklin0

Banned
I played for about an hour and quit. I want to come back to it once more mods are out, I can't play vanilla Skyrim anymore. SkyUI being the biggest thing I missed right off the bat.

In theory, yeah because it only modifies existing file(s) within the game, not adding anything to the game since it would be changing existing attributes. The issue now is if mod creators will put in the effort for PS4 mods, since it's such a limited implementation versus the Xbox One version which would be more full on.

Thanks, so at least there's still hope. I guess it is sort of a specialized request, but honestly it's one of my major problems with Skyrim, nothing pulls me out of the world faster than an npc taking a knee when they should be dead. I also realize that just getting rid of every "essential" marker would probably severely break the game in a million different ways, so it's probably not as easy as just flipping a switch.

Volimar

Does the apocalyptic magic mod also have destruction spells that do more damage so you don't hit that damage limit at higher levels?

Oh, I already said this in the other thread, but another shout out for the Alternate start "Live Another Life" mod. You get to choose how you start and you can play for as long as you want without even starting the main quest. Then when you feel like it you go to Helgen and see it destroyed and Alduin flying off and start up your main quest. You can even literally start off left for dead with nothing. My playthrough I survived a shipwreck. Good stuff.

I played for about an hour and quit. I want to come back to it once more mods are out, I can't play vanilla Skyrim anymore. SkyUI being the biggest thing I missed right off the bat.

Haven't started my playthrough myself yet but SkyUI 2.2 is reported to work just fine with the SE, albeit with an error that SKSE isn't loaded. It's better than nothing nonetheless.

I may not start my playthrough until after the creation kit is out and the mod floodgates are truly open, but here's the ones I've picked out so far. I tend to prefer a more lean and vanilla flavor anyway.

-SkyUI 2.2 (find it under the old versions section and install manually with NMM)
-Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
-Achievements Mod Enabler
-Cutting Room Floor
-The Paarthurnax Dilemma
-Point the Way
-Ordinator Perks
-Apocalypse Magic
-Open Cities Skyrim
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod
-Morrowloot
-Ars Metallica

Don't use it but there's also Live Another Life for those who want to skip the normal opening sequence.

Want to get some texture packs, but unsure how well old packs work with the SE. It seems that some stuff works, other stuff doesn't.

Top Bottom